“Excellent”

Grouse Mountain Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Grouse Mountain Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 86 Restaurants in Beaver Creek
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Village Road
Transit: Beaver Creek Village Transportation is available by phone for a complimentary ride anywhere within Beaver Creek Resort (970)949-1938.
Description: Enjoy panoramic views, contemporary Colorado cuisine,award winning wine menu, fantastic service and live dinner music. A crackling fireplace sets the mood. Chef David Gutowski was recently invited to present dinner at The James Beard House in Manhattan where he cooked each course with Colorado meats, cheeses fish and produce. The dinner was sold out before it hit the calendar. Come and enjoy the cuisine of this rising star!
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The fod was amazing. I had the elk. I was nervous but our waitress said it was her favorite on the menu. It was very tasty. We went there with our entire family (3 kids) and everyone cleaned their plates.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have gone to the Grouse Mountain Grill many times my visits to Beaver Creek. The food, atmosphere, and service has been outstanding. Whether it is the Elk, The Pork Chop, Lobster, or any of the great seasonal creations I have never been disappointed. I noticed a negative review about the portion sizes and would have to say the Grouse serves very good food and the portions are great. I have never left hungry. Not sure what they did other than ski to work up such an appetite, but i'd like to try it because it must be fun! Either way they have a tremendous wine list and I would absolutely put Grouse Mountain Grill on your "must" places to dine while in Colorado.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The reason for the 1 star is not because of the quality of the food, which was pretty good. It's the quantity. Thank goodness we ordered the tater tots for our daughter before our meals came, and double thanks that she didn't eat them (so I could.) They are not your childhood's taters - these have truffle oil either in them, or on them. They are large, and you get to see what tater tots really are - balls of shredded potatoes, i.e. basically rolled up hash browns. An interesting something I never knew.

The service here is also fine and dandy. It's somewhat of a blend, i.e. where white tablecloth service meets white-capped Rocky Mountain cowboy-earthiness. You end up with a formal yet friendly kind of vibe. A similar sort of thing happens with the ambience, which is sort of high end rustic.

The big problem, you know it's coming (or didn't come, in this case), is the portions. My wife ordered the duck dinner. It arrived on a very large plate, with all the food piled up in the center. (I should probably add that it amounted to only a small pile.) The duck was on top - what little there was - probably 3 or 4 modest slices of breast meat, laid over the veggies/mash potatoes. I would have needed 4 or 5 of these piles (pilettes?) to fill me up.

Personally, I ordered the lamb shank and was somewhat better off for it. However, they were very sparing with the potatoes, giving me only 4 fingerings. Actually make that 2 - which were halfed, perhaps to make it look like there were more? Also on the plate was creamed spinach. And when I say creamed, I mean really creamed to smithereens. To the point of being a liquid. I didn't even know what it was initially. i realize this is the trendy thing to do: I appreciate atomized food as much as the next guy, but I also need/like to have food with my meal.

To have that feeling of a full and satisfying meal, you'd need to basically order an appetizer, a salad, a hearty main course, and the largest dessert they offer. Perhaps the Elk dish would do the trick? (Unfortunately it was not wild, but farmed Elk. This seemed strange to me. I don't remember Old McD having this on his farm.) At any rate, by making your own tasting menu, and eating plenty of bread beforehand, you'd probably be okay, though you still might have to throw in an order those tater tots. Getting satisfied should not have to be this hard - or expensive. With entrees in the $45 range, the value here is lacking terribly. I think a restaurant should not expect the customer to have to engineer his/her dinner to make sure it meets the normal experience of 'being full'.

Now for a little good news. I will say that the children's burger, which came for our daughter, was huge. I was able to pilfer some french fries from her plate as she was watching a movie on the ipad. There were quite a few, and by taking one or two at a time I did not feel excessively guilty. Thankfully, she eat about 2/3 of her burger and then I heard the sweet sound of "I'm done," come from her mouth, at which time I made my move and gulped down the rest of the meat. It was delicious. Thankfully I ended up finally feeling that I'd had a good meal. Otherwise I might have ended up traipsing around the mountains looking for my own elk to kill and eat, in which case I probably would have either died or else ended up with severe frostbite in my fingers.(In either case, I would not be able to write this review.)

On the day we eat there, we had not gone skiing, which works up quite an appetite. If we had gone skiiing, well, it would have been a very long and expensive night at the Grouse!

Now for a little good news. I will say that the children's burger, which came for our daughter, was huge. I was able to pilfer some french fries from her plate as she was watching a movie on the ipad. There were quite a few and so by taking one or two at a time I did not feel excessively guilty. Thankfully, she eat about 2/3 of her burger and then I heard the sweet sound of "I'm done," come from her mouth, at which time I made my move and gulped down the rest of the meat. It was delicious. Thankfully I ended up finally feeling that I'd had a good meal. Otherwise I might have ended up traipsing around the mountains looking for my own elk to kill and eat, in which case I probably would have either died or else ended up with severe frostbite in my fingers. In either case, I would not be able to write this review.

To be full here, you'd need to basically order an appetizer, salad, main course, dessert. With plenty of bread beforehand, you'd probably be okay, though you still might have to throw in an order those tator tots. Getting satisfied should not have to be this hard - or expensive. With entrees in the $45 range, the value here is lacking terribly. I think a restaurant should not expect the customer to have to engineer his/her dinner to make sure it meets the normal experience of 'being full'.

I will say that the children's burger, which came for our daughter, was huge. I was able to pilfer some french fries from her plate as she was watching a movie on the ipad. Usually I took one or two so as not feel guilty, but ended up taking quite a few in the end. Thankfully, she eat about 2/3 of her burger and then I heard the sweet sound of "I'm done," at which time I made my move and gulped down the rest. It was delicious, and thankfully I ended up finally being full. Otherwise I might have ended up traipsing around the mountains looking for my own elk to kill and eat, in which case I probably would have either died or else ended up with severe frostbite in my fingers. In either case, I would not be able to write this review.

8  Thank Wonderer777
Nancy D, Owner at Grouse Mountain Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for bringing your opinion to us with a bit of humor to boot. We appreciate your input and always take every comment to heart as we are always striving to be better every day. The Pork Chops might be a good choice if you do come back to see us again. If anyone goes away hungry after eating that dish, I would be really surprised. Ask for some guidance from the server as some of the entrees are definitely less bulky than others and he or she will not steer you wrong. Again, we thank you for your honesty.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Grouse Mountain Grill on Valentine evening. We scheduled a table for 830pm, as other options were unavailable. We have eaten here on many occasions for a number of years. We find the food to be excellent, with a creative menu that has a nice variety of entrees. On this visit, the dining room was very busy, with a number of families with children that made for a noisy evening. The table next to ours was a large party of over 14 people with half being children; not the quiet dining experience you would expect from an establishment in this ones price range. Nonetheless, the service was acceptable for a very busy night, although my entree of delicious scallops was barely warm. My wife had the elk steak and she indicated it was very good. Overall, we were not disappointed in the quality of the food, or the service.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

When our three lobster appetizers arrived there was a fourth lobster appetizer that we did not order. After an exceptionally long wait, our entrees were finally were served. One had to be returned. We ordered hot chocolate with dessert and dessert was delivered with out the hot chocolate. We had to wait for that to be served. When we got the bill they had charged us for the lobster appetizer that we did not order. For a restaurant that came so highly recommended we were less that impressed.

5  Thank SteveNorthCarolina

Sorry about the issues with service at your table on Sunday. I took a look at your check and it appears that we did remove the charge for the 4th lobster appetizer that you did not order. My guess is that you had to bring it to our attention when you received the check in order to have the charge removed. After a series of other issues, that was yet another error. I do sincerely apologize as this is not reflective of our usual service level. Thank you for making me aware of this as we were able to go over the service for your table thoroughly. We appreciate the input.