“Great for Breakfast”

Dining options: Breakfast
Bloomington, Illinois
“Great for Breakfast”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Exactly the type of place I love to find on a vacation. 'Mom and Pop' owned, local flavor, and delicious. We had the 'Slam' Breakfast: 2 eggs any way, choice of meat (Among the best bacon I've had), country potatoes, choice of toast (I had the sourdough..delicious), and a huge pancake. About 9 bucks and add 2 for all you can drink Vail Mountain Coffee. Food was well prepared and the service prompt and friendly.

• Visited January 2011

Avon, Colorado
“I will never go back again”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I understand people have bad days and I don't expect perfection, especially at a place like route 6 (it's a diner) But I also expect better then I got at route 6. We ordered, and a half hour later (the place was pretty empty) our waitress comes over and blurts out that she forgot to put our order in, what do we want again? She brought us soup which was an inedible cup of onions, worcestershire sauce and water, probably the worst thing I've ever been served in a restaurant in my life. Then she sits down with us and says "Now, I'm not supposed to be talking about this, but..." and goes into a sob story about falling down some stairs the night before. Oddly enough, I've been told by someone else that she's said this exact phrase to them too (word for word!) when she's made some mistake, in an attempt to elicit pity I guess. If she really did hurt herself, I really do feel badly for her, I just think the behavior to be strange and unprofessional. That was enough for us though, we opted not to eat anything and left. The table behind us was also experiencing some issues I believe. When they asked for an extra side of sauce for something my husband told me he overheard our waitress say "Well, you should have asked for that when you ordered!" and stormed off to get the extra sauce. I used to enjoy going there, but I would never want to spend money on that food and service again!

1 Thank platycodon
vail colorado
“What do you expect from a breakfast joint? better than Denny's”
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Route 6 Cafe has a home town feeling and the service is good. If Ollie the owner is around he makes a point to say hi to everyone. They kept my coffee cup full and served a real life large orange juice.

Round Rock, Texas
“Standard breakfast fare”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

Route 6 Cafe does certainly offer atmosphere and prices that you can't get within the confines of the resorts. But, after having breakfast there on our recent trip to Beaver Creek, I'd rank the restaurant merely average.

Their pancakes (plate-sized) were the best things my husband or I tried. Good flavor, enough lift without being too fluffy, and nicely browned. The breakfast potatoes were under-seasoned and not browned very well. Eggs/Bacon/Toast were the same types you can get pretty much anywhere - good, but nothing special.

Wait staff was fairly attentive to the diners, who appeared to be mostly locals (it was off-season, so there weren't many tourists at any restaurant we visited). The atmosphere was trying to be interesting or funky, but mostly came across as a weak attempt to dress up the interior of a gas station. It wasn't bad, but not that special, either.

Overall, I'd recommend anyone who stays at a resort in Beaver Creek or Vail Village get out of the resort for plenty of their meals (often better food & better prices). And, Route 6 cafe might be a good option to do just that -- but don't expect anything too special.

New Jersey, USA
“Funky roadside stop with tasty food”
Reviewed March 28, 2009

This place is so un-Beaver Creek that you should go for a *real* vacation. Funky decor, very friendly service, and tasty home cookin'. Totally unpretentious and a breath of fresh air in this otherwise overpriced town.