“Far from the madding crowd” 5 of 5 bubbles

Beaver Creek Ski Area
Book In Advance
Book Now
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular year-round resort in the Rockies offers excellent snow skiing and snowboarding in the winter and exhilarating sports such as mountain biking and hiking in the summer.
Pembrokeshire, Wales.
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Far from the madding crowd”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

This ski area is very well designed, safe, well patrolled, and the piste maintenance teams do a great job. Lift queues only seem to occur at peak times, and when they do they are civilized, courteous, and move quickly, so really no problem. The marked pistes are all intermediate standard and the double blacks are short but fairly wide with no great surprises. Piste preparation takes place during the day with squads of piste bashers moving line abreast, with lots of sound effects for safety. The lift system is not the most advanced in the world, there is only one bubble that goes nowhere interesting, some chairs are slow (notably chair 14) and the mountain restaurants are a disappointment as many are private. However, for a family holiday Beaver Creek is good, and you can always have a day or so at Vail and plunge into the back bowls.

Visited January 2012

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 280 helpful votes
“A great ski resort for families with different skiing abilities.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Beaver Creek like many ski resorts in North America is reputed for high levels of snowfall and powder. So it is our poor luck that we chose to go this year (2012) to Beaver Creek. Locals informed us that it is a below-average year for snowfall.

That being said, we still had a sensational time! Despite the lack of snowfall, the snowbase and conditions were better than what we normally experience in Australia. Better than Perisher and Thredbo anyway.

Out of necessity, most of the snowbase was packed powder and for those seeking fresh powder, it would have been a disappointment. But for me, my disappointment was moderated by good grooming. Not quite the same experience as skiing powder, but it is hardly the resort's fault when the Snow Gods are not partying. Beaver Creek resort did a wonderful job at grooming and keeping the snowbase 'healthy'. We did not see much in the way of exposed rocks, grass or the like. Most of the terrain was open.

I came away thinking that if this is Beaver Creek in a lacklustre snow year, how good would it be in an average or bumper year? From what I have seen, I expect that it would be purely sensational and awesome. I am determined to go back when there is good snow there... hopefully this adventure will happen sooner than later... and hopefully in the 2013 season!

One of the best features of Beaver Creek is the varied terrain and is very suitable for families or groups of people who are of different abilities at skiing or snowboarding. Most groups can go to any sector in the resort and be able to ski and meet up for lunch or coffee or a beer somewhere. It is a well signposted resort with no sudden surprises, like a mandatory black mogul run to return to base. All the chair lifts are fast and efficient, except for one which I found to be agonisingly slow. So much so that I have sworn not to sit on it again. All in all, a great all-round resort with a good collection of greens, blues and blacks.

The lift passes are on the high side. But I made the error of not buying our lift passes in advance online. An online purchase would have saved us heaps. It was painful... but you live and learn. I know what to do the next time we go to Beaver Creek.

Food and drink can also set you back a fortune in Beaver Creek. But if you are selective and smart, you can economise. For instance, you can get a tasty bowl of Chili Con Carne at the Coyote Cafe for a reasonable cost. Also the soups at Spruce Saddle Lodge is large enough for two small eaters if you get breadrolls on the side. Who needs a large heavy lunch when skiing anyway? Some of the eateries on the hill also provide complimentary chilled water. For water jugs like me, this was a blessing... also a blessing for the wallet !!

We stayed in Avon as we could not get accommodation in Beaver Creek itself. Our timeshare had no availability and booking retail accommodation would have been beyond us. So we booked into Avon instead. It turned out to be a good thing as we got to experience Avon including shopping there. Shopping in Beaver Creek is for people who are not short of a dollar. There are a few eateries in Avon worth a visit including Bob's Place. Bob's Country Fried Chicken is sensational and far superior to the Colonel.

Avon town has a complimentary ski bus to Beaver Creek which runs at 15 mins intervals. This bus stopped right at the front door of our lodge so it was tremendously convenient.

Despite the low snowfall this year, we enjoyed Beaver Creek and Avon so much that we will be happy to go back anytime!

1 Thank skis-gitz
Washington DC, District of Columbia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Family 4 day ski trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Beaver Creek is a nice resort with something for everyone. However if you are an Intermediate skier looking to pack lots of skiing in surrounded by natural beauty I think it is easier to navigate Keystone. I love the way you can go peak to peak at that mountain. On the other hand, I found Beaver Creek to be time consuming when going peak to peak. Also, the main mountain has a lot of intersecting trails which cause a lot of traffic on the slopes.
Nice mountain if you have a full week of skiing.

As for accommodations, make your selection carefully. We stayed at Lodge at Brookside and the shuttle was a bit of walk on a road with a lot of traffic. This was to difficult with kids.

Columbus, Ohio
“Good variety of terrain for varied groups”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

Wonderful groomed runs and steep bump runs as well, There are fun bowls too.

Memphis, Tennessee
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Second to no one”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

I'd skied Beaver Creek (BC) a few times before, but as day trips from Vail (your lift ticket is good at both resorts). This year we stayed at BC and I expected I'd ski 2-3 days here and the rest of the week at Vail but I never made it to Vail. With our slopeside lodging we literally walked out the back door and had access to over 1800 acres of slopes. With 81% of the terrain rated as blue or black/double black, there was plenty to choose from. I realized at the end of the week that I never even made it up on the Grouse Mountain lift, which appeared to have some very nice black terrain.

When BC grooms a slope, it's been groomed very well. At the time we skied some more snow was definitely needed but I never saw a brown spot - all the pistes were covered well, though some of the woods had thinner cover. (OK by me as I'm not big into tree skiing anyway.)

There are several dining options on-mountain or at one of the bases. I had lunch at the Spruce Saddle (typical large cafeteria), Arrowhead (much smaller cafeteria with good soups/chili) and at Red Tail Camp where we got food fresh off the grill and could eat out on the sundeck.

If it's been groomed, check out the run called President Ford's (it goes by the house where he once lived). There are a couple of steep sections that make it a black run but otherwise it's mostly blue and it's great fun to go screaming down it!

As others have mentioned, starting about 3 pm each day there are fresh chocolate chip cookies brought out to the snow at the main base. Nothing like having a warm cookie at the end of the ski day!