“The economy appears to have had an influence on one of my favorite places”

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed January 3, 2011

So we have come here the past three years as our ski vacation and just came back from our 10 day stay in a residential suite overlooking the mountain. I must say that usually the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch is complete Shangri-La. Although we enjoyed our stay, this year was a little under par. The staff which is normally 100% this year was functioning at 85%. Normally our needs are completely anticipated and not to sound like a complainer or snob (since I'm neither) but this year was just a little lack luster. The mountain wasn't entirely open after Christmas which was a little surprising. The food at Spago which we were so looking forward to was not even excellent when Wolfgang was there. Even had to send stuff back which I NEVER do. The breakfasts were just so-so at Spago too and the waitstaff was ok. On a positive note Zach's Cabin is still amazing and by far the best food in Beaver Creek. The spa here is excellent. We have 2 masseuses in particular that we LOVE and use all the time. They are exceptionally better than the rest. The sauna, steam room, etc are all great but once again the staff was not 100% on top of picking up the dried cucumbers around the jacuzzi and some other basic maintenance that normally they are totally on top of. I think the intention of being a spectacular place is still there I think maybe they didn't hire as many people as usual or there were newcomers that weren't adjusted to the altitude :) . We rent a car and even Beaver Creek resort hadn't plowed the roads as diligently as usual so I'm thinking this was just caused by the economy. Don't get me wrong- we love this place and will give them a "Get out of Jail Free" card this time, but hope they'll get back to normal before our next visit. I would still recommend it- such a special place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VacaRae
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Reviewed December 29, 2010

The Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch are without doubt, the most professional team I have been blessed to encounter. We travel a LOT. Globally and at a high standard. Further, Ive spent a good deal of my time in the corporate entertaining world so I'm used to negotiating with service providers. There was NO ONE at Bachelor Gulch who didn't go above and beyond and always without being asked to do so. They created an entire wedding for us in 36hours (yes, 36hours) which went off blissfully and without a hitch. They were unaware of the standards we're typically used to and that we'd spent a lot of time over the years entertaining for business~ we were simply Mr and Mrs and they were simply doing their job....To the highest standard we've ever encountered. We will return here again and again~it's a tremendous trek but it'll be worth it the instant we arrive and relax into this quiet little gem. For the utmost in one-to-one pampering go in the 'shoulder season' when it's especially quiet and romantic.

Reviewed December 13, 2010

The Ritz Carlton bachelor Gulch was a perfect winter getaway. I had previously visited Vail/Beaver Creek during ski season & wanted a little more pampering (a service oriented hotel) this time around, as I would be traveling with my mother. We visited just one week after the official start of ski season ... so the hotel was fairly quiet, which was very nice! The property is magnificent , totally blissful! It was elegantly decorated for Christmas ... with just the right amount of fluff! Totally well maintained & courteous staff!
We made transportation arrangements through the hotel to have a service pickup/return us to/from the airport. Which went off without a hitch! Checkin was a breeze ... I had originally booked a room that was not at all what I was checked into ... a prompt call to the front desk settled my frustration and we were moved to a proper & upgraded room with a fireplace! I did appreciate that ... as it came in handy after our first night. The snowfall & plummeting temperature the very next next day made the fireplace a sweet treat after a day up on the mountain!
We utilized most every service that was extended by the hotel: The gym (nicely appointed, decent equipment & open till 10 pm), the spa ((( aahhhhh))), the gift shop, the shuttle down to Beaver Creek, The ski ticket office, The Buffalo Bar Resturaunt (great bison burger, sweet potato fries & winter salad : skip the nuts) ... and lastly Spago's Resturaunt, which for me was extremely lacking ( which greatly surprised me, as I've loved ALL of Wolfgang restaurants visited in the Los Angeles area & had NEVER been disappointed). Spago's ( the fine dining restaurant) dinner menu was very limited ( which I sort-of expected) but the daily selections just didn't suit us, on any of the three nights that we stayed ). Which became a slight issue after several days! Due to the time in the season (most local restaurants off property closed at 7pm) & weather pretty much limited us to 'room service' for dinner. The room service menu is pretty much all fast food ... fried chicken, burgers, nachos, quesadillas, two salad selections .... they didn't even have a proper winter soup (vegetable soup) on the menu until our very last night, I feel that in wintertime, a veggie soup should ALWAYS be in the menu!)

So overall, the hotel was what I expected. Although I struggled a bit with quality clean (non fatty) food selections .. I'd stay here again, no doubt!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ritz at Bachelor Gulch in Avon Colorado, it was a fantastic trip from start to finish. We have stayed in many fine hotels around the world and this has to rank as one of the best. We booked through WhataHotel.com with Maria and she was phenomenal from finding us an incredible deal on the Club level of the Ritz, and by providing us with some great perks for booking through them. (We received a $40 per day breakfast credit and a $85 general food credit.) When we arrived the doorman immediately took us up to the 8th floor to a private check in on the club level. We were offered wine, champagne, water etc. The check is was quick and smooth done by Vanessa and then she gave us tour of the Club lounge. What a beautiful place it is, just like having your own private living room with a roaring fire and lovely music throughout the day and night. They also offer 5 food services throughout the day and the the food was wonderful! I highly recommend the club level. Our room was lovely with a fireplace and deck overlooking the slopes and huge marble bathroom with separate shower and bath. We even had a lovely bottle of wine and hot cocoa mix waiting for us in our room from Maria (the lovely woman that booked our hotel for us). Whenever we would leave our room we were greeted by the friendly staff at the Ritz asking if they could help us with anything. Skiing was great and they will gladly help you put your boots on and take them off at the end of the day. Each day after we put on our boots, our skis would already be on the ground on the slope with our poles on each side. We would just step in and take off for the day. We received the same amazing service when we would arrived back at the lodge, it was as if they knew we were coming. They would take our skis and poles and store them for us and they would have our walking boots waiting for us to put on. We ate at both restaurants Spago and Buffalo Bar, both were wonderful. The lobby is warm and inviting with massive wood beams and a huge stone fireplace. We ate one night sitting on the couch in front of the fire. They have an outdoor heated pool and three hot tubs. This has to be the closest you can get to a life while sitting in a hot tub, you can't be more than 40 feet away and just steps from the slope. If you are looking for a fantastic ski vacation you really can't beat the location and service of the Ritz. I also highly recommend Maria at WhataHotel.com. We have now booked two vacations with her and she is so incredibly efficient ensuring all our needs are met. In addition, when you book through WhataHotel.com they have incredible perks that you get just by booking with them. We went to the Four Season in Vegas last April and she also providing great service for that vacation.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We stayed at the Ritz Bachelor Gulch for a ski weekend.The hotel was well appointed, old country lodge with a taste of elegance. We really enjoyed the lodge with it's massive stone fireplace turning out wonderful glow of heat. The rooms were large and with a walkout patio alone with a large bathroom with separate shower and tub. The place is just awesome inside and out, there was service every where by everyone. The staff
always greeted us no matter what there role was at the hotel. My wife and I took long walks around the hotel, great views from the top of the mountain. The skiing was right outside the back door of the Ritz, everything is available on site. I look forward to my next trip to the Gulch.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2010

My wife & I stayed here for one night as a quick getaway, and enjoyed it, as we always do (admission - I formerly worked several years for Ritz-Carlton, at another Colorado location). This Ritz-Carlton is, overall, one of the best hotels I've ever been to. The service is nearly always excellent, the hotel is beautiful, and the spa is amazing. The rooms are generally very large, and well-appointed. Note - if you don't like feather beds (I don't), you may not like the beds here.

Our main reason for going is always the spa, which is gorgeous. Men's & women's locker rooms each have a sauna, steam room, hot tub, and cold plunge. The "grotto" is a marvelous cave-like room with a huge hot-tub. The fitness center is better equipped than many membership gyms.

My complaints are minimal - the hallways on the lower floors (2 & 3) can be very maze & dungeon-like. I hate paying $25 for parking (no choice there), but I just consider it part of the room rate. The on-site restaurant, Spago, serves excellent food, but is obscenely high-priced, even for Ritz-Carlton standards. ($16 for pancakes? come on....). My wife insists Spago's lamb chops are the best she's ever had. My roast chicken was excellent, but then, at $34 for a portion of a chicken, it should be!

As with most Ritz-Carlton's and other luxury hotels, there is not necessarily value here. But if you want to be pampered and well-taken care of in luxurious surroundings, this is a great choice.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

I just wrote a letter to the manager thanking him for an amazing weekend - here is my excerpt:

My husband and I just returned from a truly wonderful weekend at the Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch and I felt compelled to let you know what a great hotel you have. I originally booked our room online from Wednesday night to Sunday to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner and the holiday weekend there. From the very beginning, your Concierge was so helpful via email. She helped me book Thanksgiving dinner and 3 different spa treatments for us without a hitch, responding timely and with all the information needed.

The day we drove up to Bachelor Gulch, I was concerned about the weather (snow) and interested in upgrading our King room to a possible suite. I had the good fortune of reaching the Front Desk who helped me with my questions and took the time to change my reservation for the new suite I wanted, even finding a great suite for us to have. I usually am only an online travel planner so this experience was such a wonderful change.

We brought our Bernese Mountain Dog with us and she was treated like a princess by every staff member we met. From the front desk who made sure we had the VIP Pet setup just perfect to all the gentlemen at the valet stand who always had a moment to pet her ears and share a dog treat, her joy at being with us in the hotel meant so much. We’ve never brought her along before on a vacation but wow, what a great time we had!

Our spa treatments – facial, massage, and tub soak – were just perfect, relaxing and enjoyable. My husband’s masseuse even left a special goodie bag for our puppy at the front desk with treats just for her. The simple touches of kindness and service we saw this weekend by every staff member were more than we could ask or imagine.

We spent time in your lovely grotto, laying in front of the fire in our suite and sitting in the main room enjoying lunch with new friends we met there. We also found time to roast marshmallows – definitely not for kids only! The concierge helped us book some lovely dinners and we enjoyed our meals in Spago incredibly.

I chose to come to your hotel on a whim but will definitely come back again with full knowledge of what a gem it is. My husband and I live locally so we hope to see your team again soon, perhaps this summer.

Thank you for creating such a culture of service and gracious hospitality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaver Creek
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!