“the ritz is the best by far compared to the park hyatt”

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed July 7, 2007

My family stayed there last week and were blown away by the unbelievable service. This is the top hotel in the area and the nearby park hyatt which we also stayed in paled in comparison. The ritz is a classy and stately hotel with 5 star food, accomodations and service. It is very private and you will feel like royalty there as compared to cattle at the near by hyatt.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Hotelcritic777

Reviewed June 28, 2007

My wife and I jusy returned from a 5 night stay at the Riitz and loved it. We were on the Amex Platinum program and received an upgrade to a suite overlooking the pool and the ski mountain. The hotel common areas are beautiful and the service was first class. I agree that the prices are high and one morning our room service breakfast bill was $91 with our $40 credit it was still very high. The rooms were only $155 but you have to pay $25 for valet parking. The pool area was full of kids on the Sunday we arrived and the staff does not do a good job keeping the kids out of the adult hot tubs. The spa was great, we will return to this hotel.

2  Thank piatty73
Reviewed June 24, 2007

This hotel sits up on a hill not far from Avon in a gated community, when you drive up to it, it looks like condos. The backside of the hotel is what you see in most pictures and it is very pretty from that side.

What I liked about this hotel

·My room (we received a free upgrade to a suite because the hotel had made a mistake in our reservations).

·The hot tubs located away from the pool and the grottos inside the spa area.

·The free shuttle bus to Beaver Creek.

·The décor of the interior of the hotel.

·The continental breakfast.

·The complimentary bottled water and fruit we received because we were celebrating our anniversary.

What I did not like about this hotel

·Valet service (we had no choice but to valet park our car, and we were not allowed to get to our car unless valet service brought it back to us).

·The restaurant prices (this hotel takes full advantage of the fact that you are in a remote location with no access to your car unless you go through valet service. The hotel charges twenty dollars for a club sandwich and the forty-dollar credit I received as part of my package toward a continental breakfast was gone in one morning). I stayed at a five star hotel in Vail that charged eight dollars for the best hamburger I have ever had (The Sonnenalp).

·The location of our balcony (they put us in a beautiful suite with a balcony right over the Ritz Kids Daycare Camp). I would have been very upset if I had paid full price for a suite and my room overlooked the outside daycare camp.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay at the hotel because of our room and the setting around the hotel. But I would have enjoyed the hotel even more if they had more reasonably priced food, and easier access to personal vehicles.

4  Thank malyko
Reviewed June 20, 2007

This resort is fabulous is every way. From the comfy rooms with feathertop beds and fireplaces, to the scenic views and first class service, this is a wonderful place to stay. The spa is incredible and even if you don't have spa treaments you can enjoy the suana, steam and beautiful grotto. The workout area is great and each cardio machine is equiped with an individual entertainment system and a bottle of water. The outside pool is great place to enjoy lunch or a cocktail while the kids swim. Every night, the kids can enjoy making s'mores around the outside firepit. The hotel is under construction until October, but it was barely noticeable. Plan to spend a lot on food and drink (a cocktail will set you back at least $15), but it is all worth it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank knspr
Reviewed June 16, 2007

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in in all my years of vacationing. The staff was exceptionally attentive, our room was clean with all the right amenties. The grounds are beautiful and well-kept. Even though there was some rennovations going on at the hotel, we were placed in an area where we heard no construction noise. The concierge was especially helpful in booking things for us to do in the area and calling a shuttle bus for us when we needed to go to Avon or Beaver Creek. I am glad we were there during the off-season since the hotel is pricey, but the service was impeccable. We never wanted for anything.

2  Thank ecomajor
Reviewed April 23, 2007

What an amazing hotel. We stayed at The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch for six amazing days during April. We were celebrating our honeymoon and because we live in a very warm climate, Colorado seemed like the perfect retreat.

From the very beginning we had excellent service in booking our rooms, spa appointments and working with the concierge to book reservations for dinner at some local restaurants. The concierge recommended a restaurant called Juniper in Edwards which quickly became our favorite and we returned several times. The food was some of the best and it far exceeded our experience at Sweet Basil in Vail, which we had heard such great things about.

When we first booked our reservations we were told that it was the "off season" and to expect some closures and possibly all of the mountains being closed. We lucked out and Vail was still open so we got to do some skiing. What made it so great was that all of the busyness of the season was over and we got to truly relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. At times we felt like the only guests in the hotel, although I was assured we were not, and when we dined and shopped we were given numerous off-season discounts which was a welcome surprise. We spent our extra money on spa treatments which were WELL worth it, the RC spa is amazing. (The spa treatments were also discounted 20% for off season, we just couldn't seem to get away from all the discounts!).

The gym was large and full equipped. The hot tubs were relaxing and they had more than enough to accomodate the guests (3 large spas spread out around the pool and tucked into trees for privacy).

The Buffalo Bar and room service were great and reasonably priced. Service was excellent. Remingtons was closed for renovation and will become a new Wolfgang Puck restaurant, we can't wait to try that.

All in all it was an absolutely perfect honeymoon and I would recommend this hotel to any couple looking for a cool weather location. We can't wait to return for our first anniversary and I'm sure many more to follow after that.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 77Honeymooner
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Just returned from our 8th trip to the Ritz Bachelor Gulch and the property keeps getting better. Tom Donovan and his staff really know how to run a resort and keep the guests pampered. Now that its been open a few years, the staff seems to have a total handle on how to run the place, and many of them have been around since the beginning. The fitness room and Spa continue to excel and both my finance and I received fantastic treatments. The ski concierge is great, and there isn't a better ski in ski out destination resort around. The best part is we can bring our yellow lab. Everyone thinks she is Bachelor, the house dog, but she loves the attention. The rooms have been slightly upgraded with better flat screen televisions, and newer Bulgari toiletries. On the slightly negative side, the common room with the big fireplace is probably due for some new furniture and the in-room dining needs to be revamped. I imagine both of these things will happen over this off season. Overall though, this place is fantastic and highly recommended for a romantic vacation. It can be over run with kids sometimes (I should say spoiled kids with no discipline from their parents), so try to pick a non-busy week or weekend for your visit. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
#5 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!