“Best Vacation!!”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Gibsonia, PA
“Best Vacation!!”
Reviewed November 14, 2006

This hotel is incredible!
The doormen were VERY kind and courteous. We used our rental car often... and doormen always had our vehicle ready when we arrived and always offering bottled water for our outing. The front desk was very speedy and kind. Always had someone offering us warm apple cider in lobby (for free). We had a concern about a charge on our bill... and they got back to us immediately. The spa is unbelievable. Most days I was alone in the hot tub area. Massages were excellent. The pool was very warm and relaxing. Hot tubs inside and outside. The restaurant was very good (not excellent, but good). Room service twice/day. The conseirge was very helpful as we drove to Aspen for the day through Continental Divide and did other adventure trips. This hotel is in a gated area. Must be a guest to enter property. Great trip overall! There is nothing negative about this place... except everything being expense (but worth it). I will definitely return... someday!

• Liked — Kindness of entire staff
  • Disliked — price
  • Tips/Secrets — Book spa treatments in advance.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank GabbyfromGibby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Highlands Ranch
Reviewed November 5, 2006

This is my fourth stay at the RCBG, sixth stay on a RC property. Generally, this is our FAVORITE RC property. NOT THIS TIME!!! We booked a quick weekend trip up from Denver for the Nov. 3rd-5th dates. The rates were listed as $150 for a "Quality, Valley side room".

The check-in was excellent as usual. The staff was friendly upon check-in. The room was as expected and the location was as the website stated. The problem is the time of year in which we stayed.

The staff is at a minimum, the 3rd and 7th floor are entirely under construction. The spa is on the 3rd floor, making your trip to the spa a dusty one. The fire pit, which is usually filled with "mountain men" keeping watch over the fire and a wait staff brining you drinks, was left for the "wolves". I found myself filling the fire pit with wood just to keep the fire going. Numerous people asked the front desk for more wood, they replied by saying they would "get right on it". Nothing happened. Needless to say, on Friday night, the fire died by 10pm. VERY dissapointing as this is a highlight of the RCBG.

Saturday morning breakfast was ok. The prices have taken an increase over years past, and the food quality has gone down. The wait staff was excellent as always however the overall experience was less than stellar.

The spa experience was great as usual. The staff was not very friendly, the water jug was empty, and the towels were not being replenished.

Saturday evening we hung out in the lodge "loung", which is more like a cabin. It was much busier than the RC expected b/c they had a hard time keeping up with drink/food orders. I had to go to the bar in order to get service. Not something the RC is known for. The fire was raging this night, someone must have complained.

Sunday was the major problem. We awoke to NO HOT WATER!!! I went down to the spa, worked out, sat in the hot tub to warm up, went to take a shower, and still, NO HOT WATER!!! I went back up to the room, by Noon, NO HOT WATER!!! Upon check out I asked when that was going to be fixed. This is the response I received, "Our boiler has gone down and we are doing everything we can to bring it back online." NO APOLOGY. There were quite a few upset people and they were offering NO APOLOGY!!! A five star hotel should NEVER have this problem.

The valet was outstanding as usual, those guys are great!!!

Overall: the issue here is the off-season. They drop the roomrates to fill the hotel, yet they pull of staff and minimize their amenities. The cafe was closed the entire weekend, ski shop was closed, parts of the hotel were shut down, and NO WATER. I personally believe they were doing maint. b/c there was no urgency on the water issue. VERY POOR experience. The RC should be ashamed!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Hot Water!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank tboz1976
Laurel MD
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Beautiful property, excellent service. We had never stayed at a Ritz Carlton property before but we loved this hotel. I can't think of one negative thing to say. We went in the off season so it was not overly crowded but very enjoyable. The rooms were lovely, we stayed in a standard room so it wasn't huge but we didn't expect it to be large. The food was good, the bonfire w/ marshmallows in the evening was nice, very enjoyable for the children. We plan to return next summer for a few days.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MMMDLaurelMD
charlotte
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Everything about this resort is fabulous...the decor, the spa, the setting, the service, the rooms/bathrooms, even the fact that they accept dogs (with no weight limit!!) We avoided the main restaurant (Remingtons) because most of you advised that it was ridiculously expensive. Plus, there are SO MANY excellent restaurants in town, we wanted to experiment and get some local color.

We made our initial reservation through the hotel website and got a mountain view room for $375...but then after reading TripAdvisor's advice to avoid the mountain view rooms because of the noise factor (over the pool and the fire pit), we changed to a valley view. Sure enough, our friends who had a mountain view complained of drunk people from a wedding party, hanging out by the fire pit singing long into the night!! Further, the hotel does play some music out there over a speaker, since it's pretty much a bar area. So we were glad that we changed to the valley view which was nice and quiet. Just make sure that your valley view room is high enough to see beyond the motor court (we had room 725 and saw some of the motor court, but we could see over the roof line to the mountains beyond)

The staff is very young...lots of people who want to live out west and do some skiiing...but they were perfectly lovely and attentive to our every need. I also found them to be more relaxed and laid back, as opposed to the staff members at some other Ritz Carltons, who come across as fake in their pleasantries.

We ate at the restaurants recommended on this site by others: Vista, Splendido and Ray's. All delicious....but don't go to Splendido unless you want to pay $$$$. My lobster entree was $48.00 and most of the other entrees were around that same price.

I loved it that people could take their dogs to the hotel. I saw about 4 yellow labs, two German Shepherds, and a great big Saint Bernard. They were all great, and I didn't hear one bark the entire time that I was there.

As far as Bachelor (the resident yellow lab) goes, suffice it to say that I'm a HUGE lab lover and have had labs my whole life. He's not friendly at all. He ignores you completely and even shies away if you try to pat him. As someone else cautioned, all he cares about is trying to get table scraps. He really has no interest in going on hikes or leaving the property with hotel guests. One thing I did learn is that the current "Bachelor" is about to move with his owner to a new Ritz hotel, and they are going to replace him with a new lab from Lab Rescue (hooray for rescue dogs!), so maybe the new guy will be more energetic and people-oriented.

Spa treatments are expensive (surprise, surprise), but it's fun to treat yourself occasionally. I had a facial and a massage. Ask for Eric, if you get a massage. He's awesome.

We'd go back to this area in a heartbeat. It's just gorgeous, and the great room in the hotel with its big stone fireplace is cozy, relaxing and serene. We wholeheartedly endorse this resort!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank mcrixham
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 12, 2006

I must say that this was one the most relaxing and luxurious hotels stays I have had in a while! I stayed at the Ritz in the beginning of September to celebrate my birthday with a friend and had a great time from the minute I drove to the hotel until the moment we left.

Upon arrival my car was taken care of immediately and I was accompanied to the club level of the hotel. I had requested a room with a balcony and got a very spacious, luxurious and comfortable room with a huge balcony with chairs and a table and a gorgeous view of the mountains! It was heavenly! There was also a fruit place and a birthday card for -- very thoughtful.

The food presentations were very rich and the food very tasty. We also tried room service and were very happy with the service and the quality of the food. The staff was eager to help at all times and made us feel very special.

I would highly recommend the hotel for a summer escape (or for any other reason for that matter!) both for its location and for the wonderful service it provides.

• Liked — location, service, attention to detail
  • Disliked — NA
  • Tips/Secrets — Great summer escape
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelconnoisseur
Fort Myers, FL
Reviewed August 17, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch for four days during the month of August for our 2nd wedding anniversary.

I had never been to Colorado before, though my wife had gone to college in Greary. She was anxious for me to see the beauty that is very different from our Fort Myers, FL, base. I had almost convinced her to go to NYC, and stay at the R-C Central Park, but I'm glad I didn't; we loved pretty much everything about this hotel.

We booked our reservations by calling the hotel chain's reservations line, and selected a mountainside room at $375.00 per night. After our reservations were set the lady transferred us directly to the hotel, and one of their concierges, Kat, who was my point of contact, and a lifesaver arranging all of our reservations at the various restaurants (Beano's Cabin, Game Creek Club, and their own excellent Remmington's), activities (white water rafting), and a rental car. I was impressed at her prompt attention to all my requests.

We arrived at the Ritz without too much hassle. It's really not roughing it at all; only a couple of miles from I-70. The hotel is very appealing, and the grounds are well-kept. We were greeted, and escorted to the front desk. We were informed we had been upgraded to a mountain side suite(YEAH!! Room 660) so I forgave them that the elevator near our room was out of order during the entire stay, and that our luggage was not immeadiately brought to our room (hence the deduction of one star).

The only thing I found out of kilter with the room was a small wet spot (nothing terrible about the smell, mind you!) on the bedroom floor which did dry up after a couple hours; no leaks or anything like that. The room itself was beautiful with an electric fireplace, and a spectacular view. The bathroom has marble floors, and all the R-C amenitites that I love.

The staff in general seems very laid back, as do most people who we encountered throughout the area. Therefore, some people may consider this bad in that their requests may not be met with immediate attention, or that you are not treated as royalty, but I found the country-fied atmosphere a welcome respite from the hussle and bussle of our normal lives.

The best thing about the resort, however, is the Spa. The co-ed grotto area is truly a wonderful and romantic experience. Go every day you stay.

We will return, and hope to see you there.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — Too Short of Stay
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Hydrated; it's very easy to get a headache if you don't.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank zman1974
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2006

My wife and I have always preferred beach destinations, but decided to venture into the mountains this time for relief from the Texas heat. This hotel will be a summer destination for us forever now! The scenery is absolutely beautiful - regardless of which side of the hotel your room is on. We were upgraded to the "Club" level which took service to an entirely different level -- food, drinks, extra service, throughout the day. My sense is that most people - that are not a part of some group event - get upgraded to this level during the summer. We couldn't have found the staff more friendly.

Beaver Creek village is a 5-minute free shuttle ride away from the hotel and there are drivers available from the Ritz on a first-come-first-serve basis for complimentary rides within 5 miles of the hotel, so we found that a car was unnecessary.

Several members of the staff recommended a restaurant in Edwards - "Juniper " - which was terrific. Highly recommend.

We have stayed in Four Seasons, Fairmounts, 5-Star Resorts in Mexico, etc. and found the service here to be on par or better than all of them. We hope that you'll pay attention to the "Disappointed" review and stay away from here in the summer....so we can have it all to ourselves!

• Liked — perfect weather in the summer and no crowds
  • Tips/Secrets — You don't really need a rental car
#5 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#4 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!