“Very upscale property. Close to ski slopes” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
New York City, New York
“Very upscale property. Close to ski slopes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed 3 nigths at this hotel as part of a job related event. I loved the style of the hotel as well as the spacious rooms. The pool and the jacuzis are great as well. The hotel is located a few meters away from the slopes. Great choice in Beaver Creek Colorado

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 367PierreA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have been here several times including last February. While it was a great place for skiing and loved having Spago as the restaurant dining room, by last year I was thinking of changing where we stayed. Boy am I glad we went back! We booked a standard deluxe room. When we checked in although the room was clearly renovated it was on the second floor (which is actually below the lobby) and we had requested a room which was not below the lobby floor. They not only changed our room, they upgraded us (thank you, thank you, thank you) We ended up in a suite overlooking the pool and slope. It was magnificent. All the rooms went from slightly dark and dingy to now all bright, airy and extremely clean. The furniture was all in perfect shape, there is a keurig in the room with a nice selection of K-cups. Any request we gave to housekeeping was handled promptly. Although I didnt ski this trip, my husband did. He won't avail himself of the rental shop helping him put on his boots, but I have in the past. I love that and the help they give carrying the skis the 20 steps it takes to get to the ski lift which connects their somewhat private bachelors gulch ski slope to the larger beaver creek ski slope. I used the gym and the spa. I love, using a treadmill which faces the slopes so I can watch skiers coming down the hill (they seem to have added tvs to each treadmill which blocks the view a little, but it is still wonderful) I had a oxygen facial, which was good, didnt quite live up to its anti-wrinkle billing, but it was a good facial none the less. I thought it was reasonably priced compared to other spas in they same type of hotels. The food at Spago was fantastic and the servers in the alternate buffalo bar were really nice and very helpful. I would highly recommend this.

2 Thank B B
RC-BachelorGulch, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for providing us with your feedback, and I couldn't be more pleased to hear that both you and your husband were able to enjoy your stay-him skiing and you taking advantage of our first class Spa as well as our fitness center. We are very proud of our renovation and hope this provides our guests with the best facilities we can offer. We would love to welcome you back again in the future.
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 4 days for an academic meeting. The hotel was incredible - wonderful stone and wood rustic decor, friendly and helpful staff, a ski lift 10 feet from the patio doors, ski valet service where they warm your boots at the beginning of the day and help with the buckles and offer you a complementary glass of hot cider or cocoa at the ned of the day, fireplaces indoor and out, outstanding live music in the great room and on the outdoor patio. I hope that I can attend the meeting next year. A little pricy, but it is the Ritz!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank amy_joseph
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us, as well as some of our special amenities such as Ski Valet. We would love to welcome you back next year for another stay!
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had 5 days for a quick getaway and without any significant snowfall in Tahoe this winter, it was off to Colorado for me. After passing through two security gates and a meandering uphill drive, you arrive at the very private and very luxurious Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch. The hotel's doorman will greet you and get your bags and gear squared away while you are whisked through the check in process. The whole arrival process is smooth and efficient. The room is spacious and you hear no noise from the neighbors. Power outlets are plentiful. The bed is luxurious. Other than a cramped shower, the bath is all you'd expect in a 5-star hotel. I loved the deep soaking tub.

The structure itself reminds you of the Yellowstone Lodge. Thick timber walls made for an isolated feel to the patio outside my room. The stonework in the lobby adds to the rustic feel. They also are burning some eucalyptus in the fireplace, so you can imagine how the lobby smells. Outside is an expansive patio area, pool deck and of course the Bachelor Gulch chairlift. The Bachelor Gulch chair offers some nice intermediate runs and an easy connection to main part of the Beaver Creek mountain. Getting over to the Talons or Centennial area is much less work than it appears to be on the trail maps. At the end of your day, skip the pool deck and jacuzzis and head to The Grotto in the spa. Speaking of the spa, it's top notch, as good as you'll find anywhere. My therapist was determined to work every kinked and sore muscle in my body. I felt like a million bucks when I left.

The staff at Spago and Buffalos are fantastic. Spago offers exceptional food choices, you can't go wrong with the legendary pizzas, but try the entrees too. Buffalos has some hits and some misses. The chili is a hit. I thought the mac and cheese could have been more interesting.

You should have high expectations if you're coming to the RC Bachelor Gulch. Based on my experience, I don't think you'll find the hotel will fall short of your expectations.

Room Tip: My no view room had a large patio space, which was nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank mbinsac
Thank you so much for providing such a detailed note of your recent stay with us. I agree that our ski in-ski out is a great asset, and the ski runs are excellent. Our chili, indeed, is one of our guests favorite (and one of mine also!). I'm pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy our Spa and Grotto, as we were recently named the #1 Spa in the US by Travel and Leisure. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I just attended a conference at the Ritz, and found it mostly acceptable..good food, very nice and welcoming staff..but like a boil, everytime we came through the Porte Cochere, there in the court yard was the ugliest temporary tent housing a local ski and rental shop. It was jarring at every arrival.. what is the management thinking.. at every mention of this to the staff there was a different answer..some said it was contractual, others said ownership wanted to squeeze every cent out of every available square inch of space. During our meetings, we would come out of the meeting rooms, and peer into the courtyard, which looked more like a swap meet than a high end resort hotel..get rid of that thing!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property, specifically about our ski tent. In order to provide the best quality and service to our guests we have partnered with Gorsuch to provide an elevated ski rental experience. It is unfortunate that you feel it unsightly, but we hope our newly renovated property and level of service our ladies and gentlemen provide can make up for this. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Benton Harbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We just stayed at the Ritz Bachelor Gulch and it was fantastic. After arriving early, they were so accommodating in getting us into our room and were able to upgrade our reservations. Truly exceptional club level experience, the staff was so GREAT with our two kids. With the ability to demo skis on site, ski in/out with a lift out the back door, the food was delicious and if the restaurant didn't have something on the menu they ordered it through room service but served it at our table, the property was well cared for and rooms were very clean. I can't think of one thing that wasn't great on this trip!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Amy, thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay. We are so pleased to hear of your great experience, and I agree our Club Level is a great option for families. I hope we can welcome you back for another ski vacation next year!
Great Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is out 3rd trip to the Vail area and we usually come every year during president’s week. I was traveling with my wife and two kids’ ages 6 and 10 and we stayed here for 4 nights starting on Feb. 19, 2014. We have previously stayed at the Four Seasons, Marriott Vail Mountain Resort and now the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch. On this particular trip we stayed 3 nights at the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort for 3 nights and 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch. We had a standard double room on the 3rd floor which is also the spa level.

CHECK IN:
Check in was a breeze with no issues. Our room was clean, neat, and tidy with good towels and linens. The standard room with 2 double beds was a bit small but it did have a fireplace. We did have a full tub and shower in the bathroom. The rooms are definitely smaller than other Ritz Carlton's we have stayed at before. There was an in room safe and mini fridge with complimentary snacks. The Ritz Carlton chain used to always have rooms with 2 queen beds however they seem to be getting away from queen beds and furnishing their rooms with double beds now.

LOCATION:
The bottom line is that this resort just does not have a good location in my opinion and due poor location it lacks the amenities such as shopping, restaurants, and night life like the Vail Village offers. It is secluded and you won’t find the crowds skiing here in like in Vail however the skiing in general is not as good or as challenging as in Vail but you can ski in, ski out from the resort. Most of the ski runs are blue and green and a couple of black. The location is out of the way making it difficult to get to Beaver Creek and especially Vail. There are no shops or restaurants within walking distance of this hotel like the Vail Village offers. Also the shuttle that takes you to the Beaver Creek Village runs only about every 20 minutes on average and we found the whole set up to be very inconvenient. While the Beaver Creek Village does have restaurants and shops its nothing like that of The Vail Village.

RESTAURANTS:
The resort offers two restaurants and they are the Spago's which is a Wolfgang Puck restaurant and also Buffalo's. We did have dinner at Spago's and found it to be way over the top, way overpriced, and just not as good as the finer restaurants in Vail. They do offer Kobe Steak at $40.00 per ounce (yes an ounce, you read it right) if that fits your pallet. We also had breakfast at Buffalo's and it was decent but the buffet was a little limited on choices. We were not overly impressed with either restaurant at the resort and unless you go to Vail or Beaver Creek you are stuck with these two choices. In room dining is rather popular here due to the lack of restaurants. Please note if you are not a breakfast person or just a light eater there is NO coffee shop/sandwich shop on the property. There is free coffee in the lobby from 7am to 9am daily.

TRANSPORTATION:
Transportation is a big problem here. With the location being out of the way and secluded you can take the hotel shuttle to Beaver Creek. The shuttle to Beaver Creek runs about every 20 minutes and longer in the afternoon during peak times. However be advised there is no shuttle to Vail and a taxi ride to Vail is $60.00 each way. Car rental is also limited but available and car rental is $175.00 per day.

SPA/KIDS CLUB/SKI LESSONS
I did use the spa and while I found spa to be very nice kids are not allowed in the spa which was another inconvenience. Kids are allowed to use the spa at the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort but not here making it not as kid friendly. Kids are welcome to go outside and use the outdoor pool but there is no indoor pool here. You will find some kids here at this resort and our kids did like the kids club and it is very nice however this resort is geared more for adults than children in my opinion. Also note there are NO group ski lessons offered for kids at this resort. You have to take them down to the Beaver Creek Village for children's group lessons and this is another huge problem and inconvenience.

CONCLUSION:
While this is a beautiful 4 star resort the location is too secluded so dining, shopping, and night life are nonexistent. Transportation is a big problem and it’s not as kid friendly as the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort. The level of service is okay but no where as good or elegant as the Four Seasons in Vail. This resort does allow pets and you will see many large dogs during your stay. We won’t return here and will stick to the resorts in Vail. Although it is nice it’s just not our thing.

Room Tip: Get a room on the spa floor level 3.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank caymankid
RC-BachelorGulch, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay but am saddened that our location may prevent you from returning. Although we are somewhat secluded, we feel this can be an advantage for several reasons. Our location is able to offer our guests a ski in-ski out experience, while not having the crowds often associated with Vail.We would hope that the complimentary shuttle service over to Beaver Creek gives guests the best of "both worlds" so you may enjoy both resort areas.
As part of our overall renovation plans, we will be incorporating a coffee shop/grab and go in the near future.
Although we don't allow children in the Spa daily, we do offer weekly family nights so that our younger guests may enjoy the Spa with their parents.
I hope I was able to address some of your concerns, and on behalf of all our Ladies and Gentlemen, we hope to welcome you back in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaver Creek
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#6 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Sebastian - Vail

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!