“don't value return customers”

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Reviewed February 4, 2013

January 2013 was our return visit to Bachelor Gulch Ritz. Having had such a good experience last January we made our reservations 6 months in advance. The required the full amount, $8000. locking in the rate and a reservation for the same room last year at the same price. No brainer, huh?
Well arrived late in the evening after a flight. Given wrong room, no view and small. Eleven at night playing the musical rooms game. After having to threaten going to another hotel and calling American Express who made the reservation who got on the phone with them, finally given a small, non view room on the club floor providing 3 full meals and snacks. Ritz agreed to change us in a few days.
Well, a few days rolls around and they did a transparent shuffle that the room was not available.
Do not value to the return full paying customers.
In the mornings could not get a hot shower. The ski valet was a hot mess. Lost my helmet and great difficulty finding my skis. Service was non existent. Some of the staff acted as though guests were intruding on their vacations.
Even though we have 4 free nights of guest stays from points, I would have to think twice if I want to put ourselves back in that predicament. It tarnished what was supposed to be a vacation and not a struggle to get a room for prepaid $700.00 per night.

Room Tip: I couldn't get a good room, let alone the one we had a reservation for 6 months ahead for $700...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NewportBeach1952
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a great ski trip here. Want to add some useful information rather than just repeating other reviewers, so: We had 2 adults and 2 teenagers in our room. Therefore, paying the extra for the club level rooms is clearly worth it, for many reasons.
As mentioned in many reviews, the food prices at the restaurants at the Ritz are pricey. So, you know this going in, but 4 people getting breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday quickly will add up. Furthermore, supply and demand: it takes a long time to get seated and served. I waited 40 minutes for a hamburger-not that I cared as I was sitting with my Mom. But had I been with hungry children, well, that is a different story.
The club level experience is this: you have a room key that you insert into the elevator that allows you to go to the 8th floor. The elevator opens up into the lounge, which is a fairly big room with a fireplace, many windows, balconies, comfy couches and food/game/coffee tables. The lounge is always open, so in the am when I woke up before everyone else, I'd take my book and go read in the lounge, get my coffee and watch the daybreak. In this regard, the confining feeling of a 'hotel room' is not an issue, which, with four almost adults, is germane. As has been mentioned, there are 5 food 'presentations'. Which is too vague.
Breakfast is substantial. Eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurts, yummy fresh fruit, pastries, just ok coffee :(
Another Coffee machine which makes delicious cafe mochas (all day) and other variations of coffee. Mimosas, fruit smoothies, 3 kinds of juice.
Coffee is usually out by 6:30 which is good for the East Coasters not on Mountain Time.
Lunch is a lighter affair with sandwiches, cheeses, bread and bread dip, some soup.
Apres ski is just decadent. Chocolate covered everything, hot chocolate with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings, hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks, etc. Cookies, cookies, cookies. Beer and Wine out all day long.
Hors d’Oeuvres just before dinner are light, but could substitute for dinner, especially because next is:
Dessert-with delicious and inventive desserts.
Not only is the food delicious but it is RIGHT THERE WAITING FOR YOU AT PREDETERMINED TIMES. So, if you want to maximize your time on the slopes, club level is the way to go!
Loved the gym and the locker rooms with the steam, sauna, cold plunge pool, jacuzzi are just amazing.
Spa massage with Clare or Alexandra were both fantastic.
Outdoor pool and jacuzzis are great. Everyone was very pleasant. You can tell people are happy to work here. Outdoor fire pit looked fun with live music and not bad either.
Use Colorado Mtn Express to get from the airport if you don't want to drive.
The skiing-it felt like a private mountain in front of the Ritz. Fresh powder every day we were there. Just fantastic! This was a trip to celebrate my daughter's birthday and a splurge for us and it exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for slopeside for views of the skiers and mtns. Go club level if your party is more than 1 perso...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yggep1
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our family stayed here for a lengthy stay over the Christmas and New Year period. This hotel has so many great qualities: fabulous location a few metres away from the ski lifts, wonderful facilities, ski valet, potentially world class dining, excellent and professional kids club, useful shuttle service into Beaver Creek, great views over the mountains but we felt completely let down by the service. Points to mention:

I was under the impression that the Ritz was in Beaver Creek. It is not in the town, but a ten-minute ride away. This does not matter for the skiing as the mountain interlinks, and there is a useful and constant shuttle service, plus free Dial-a-Ride which was the most fabulous free shuttle service around the resort. However, for ski school, it is a little frustrating. Ski School is based in Beaver Creek and involves either the shuttle down to town, or a ski, which is not for complete beginners. If you have big kids, this presents no problem, but with smaller children it can be more of a challenge. Then, at the end of the day you need to either ski back to Bachelor Gulch, or again take the shuttle. This adds on a big chunk of time in the morning (when you have very small children), which I had not been aware of. The alternative is private ski lessons, which can take place at the hotel, but are super expensive.

There was no breakfast buffet at Spago (the main hotel restaurant). This is very unusual for a hotel of this size. We were always in a rush in the mornings, trying to get the children to ski school, but breakfast took an age. Sometimes there would be a line of people waiting to be seated. Because of the absence of a buffet breakfast became an extremely slow affair, and most days we were late getting the kids to ski school. This was a constant frustration. Furthermore, breakfast is very, very expensive so make sure it is included on your room rate (do not just get a continental breakfast included as this will just include pastries, as believe me, you will want to order from the amazing additional menu they offer)

The Buffalo Bar serves excellent lunch and dinner. However, bookings are not accepted at lunchtime, and usually you have to wait at least an hour to be seated. This again was seriously annoying, many would pop by, put their name down, go off and ski, and be texted 10 minutes before a table was available, however, because I had an international mobile, this service was not offered. They would often offer seating outside, but this was ridiculous in -16 degrees!

Rooms were OK, but not up to the Four Seasons standard and the price is directly comparable.

The ski valet was a bit chaotic - I don't know whether this was down to the fact that the hotel was extremely busy, or just disorganised.

All in all this is a great hotel, but they need to sort out various aspects. They need more dining areas, for a hotel of this size, they only have Spago and the Buffalo Bar for eating, plus a large area in the main atrium which is mainly for drinks. It was so busy and every time we came in at lunchtime and there was literally nowhere to sit. Even the coffee bar was packed with a long line and no seating. They should open up some of their conference rooms ....

Finally The Spa. This has some amazing aspects - the grotto (a pool) which is enchanting, but the general layout and some of the treatment rooms are a bit tired and again, prices of treatments are very expensive. It perhaps needs some updating.

All in all a great hotel, but they need to do some tweaking.....

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher levels ...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rs07312014d
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been to Beaver Creek 3 times. I stay at the Park Hyatt every time and I have been to the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch many, many times to eat and to hang out. It is beautiful. I happen to accumulate a ton of Marriott points and decided to try to use them. I called the hotel directly and spoke to local reservations. The person was very sarcastic and made me feel like reserving with points was beneath his use of time. Why even offer a points program when you are going to make someone feel like a bum when trying to use them? I was even told to "keep trying back as you may get a hold of someone more helpful than me." They actually had some availability with points, but by then I had had it. Not too funny when I have spent over $400K with Marriott getting those points over the years. Putting points to use should be something they look at as favorable! I would probably spend more on wine, food, etc. if I can ever put my points to use which is where the real margin is. I would probably have paid cash to upgrade to a suite or the like, which is what most smart hotels do (since most demand is in the lower priced rooms). I decided to go back to the Park Hyatt with good old cash (where I have used Hyatt points before and was made to feel good about it). I may look into transferring AMEX points to SPG for the Westin. I know the demand in Beaver Creek, I know the options for lodging, and I know running a business is tough, but I will put my next $400K of hotel travel to other chains that appreciate me and I will avoid the Ritz until further notice. Such a shame. I have stayed at Ritz Carlton's all across the world by the way.

Room Tip: Pay more money, don't use points.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a beautiful property. Upon check-in your skis are taken immediately to the ski valet, where they are unpacked (and repacked upon departure). We checked in at the club level, and the staff there is amazing. The club level is worth the additional cost, and the presentations and service in the lounge were great. The breakfast was full, with eggs, bacon or sausage, oatmeal, waffles, cereal, toast, pastries, etc. Lunch was also complete, and included soup, sandwiches, chips, and salad. The afternoon snack included an assortment of sweets and some great hot chocolate. The appetizers and deserts were equally good. The club lounge staff never wasted time replenishing trays or refilling drinks, and we're always extremely professional and courteous! They all went out of their way to accommodate the guests and their requests. The lounge always remains open, which is also a plus. The rooms were very nice, with plenty of space for clothing. The only negative we found was that the walls were very thin, and we could occasionally hear the conversations next door. The fitness center was also great, and the staff made sure the machines were always equipped with water and towels, and cleaned after every use. This property is very impressive!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I staid with a friend on the winter season for 4 nights.

I loved everything about the hotel except the slow service in the restaurants. Last thing you want while skiing or after skiing is a 40-60 minute wait for food. Tried the two restaurants twice each with the same luck both in peak times and off-hours, opted for room service afterwards instead.

Other than that, it's a great place, loved the spa and the ski valet. They even returned our skis to an off-site location!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were just at this property for the holidays. The location in the mountains is absolutely gorgeous! It definitely sells the property!
The hotel was fully booked and very busy. Since the ski lift is right outside the great room, it's a great place for skiiers and the hotel was full of them. While that's great for the skiiers....it does give the property the feel of an upscale ski lodge--more than a 5star hotel, with everyone clunking around in ski boots.
We had dinner one night in Spago's--the food was fantastic and the service was professional. The restaurant was a little noisy and crowded--no doubt because of the holidays and full hotel occupancy. And the restaurant is quite open to the great room, so that also contributes to the noise level.
Our room was very nice--comfortable beds, lovely marble bathroom, upscale western decor, and a beautiful mountain view. But the hotel does have long corridors and our room was a VERY long walk from the elevator.
We didn't eat breakfast in the restaurant--they have a nice little coffee shop in house where you can get a great selection of coffees, teas, hot chocolate, pastries, fruit and yogurt. We did have room service breakfast on Christmas morning which was just lovely.
Overall it was a nice stay--my one disappointment is in the front desk staff--not what I have come to expect from the Ritz. They are more laid back and not as professional. They were snippy to us on a couple of occasions when we asked them questions, they were not completely attentive to guests--it seemed like they hoped people would not approach if they didn't make eye contact.

Room Tip: if anyone in your party has issues walking or their breathing might be affected by the altitude, you...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!