Wilderness Trails Ranch
Priceline
Bear Paw Lodge(Bayfield)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Recently returned from fourth year visiting the ranch. It is truly a spectacular place for a family vacation. My grandson age 11 was gone from 7 am until 10 pm in constant motion with fishing, riding, tubing and just hanging out with his new friends. My disabled adult daughter loved the riding and playing pool. I was alone but met some wonderful people to share drinks and conversation. The food by Sky is incredible and all the wranglers like Doc, Dallas are terrific. Working with the cows is more fun than you can imagine. Will definitely return next year.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

From the moment we drove in to the Wilderness Trails Ranch, we knew we were in for a treat! Nestled in a mountain valley, the setting of the ranch house and surrounding log cabins is breathtaking. The highlight of our trip was the daily horseback riding on the mountain trails and even helping the wranglers move cattle. Novice and experienced riders are helped by the friendly and professional wranglers Doc, Dallas, Ray, and Wendy. They are the "real deal" and make the experience authentic and memorable.

Other activities included a hayride, live music, country dance instruction, campfire sing-along, hiking, yoga, fishing, tubing and a children's rodeo. All of the staff are welcoming and accommodating, from the owners Jan and Gene to the excellent chef Sky and the bartender Eleanor. The food was excellent and exceeded our expectations, from made-to-order breakfasts to dinners of elk and scallops to prime rib and salmon. The Watering Hole offered Colorado wines, beers, and liquors.

The ranch is small enough to be comfortable and inviting and is perfect for family reunions, small groups, and corporate retreats.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ed R
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family of 4 (2 kids ages 6 & 8) just returned from WTR. The good reviews on TripAdvisor are true! We had a wonderful week. The first night home our son cried himself to sleep because he missed "his" horse. The staff really set WTR apart-- they were all friendly and helpful. We enjoyed getting to know the other guests and our kids loved playing with the other kids. If you go, don't miss the cattle driving or yoga on the porch. We loved the formal dinner on Thursday night as well. Our kids loved the Kids Rodeo on Friday and the hike they took one afternoon to a creek (maybe a river) where they learned to light a fire and roast hot dogs.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda T
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is my third time at this ranch I like it so much I keep bringing other family members! The Trail rides are half day or full scenic rides I have never had a bad horse yet. Somedays they offer cow work that is a blast so if you have never tried it IT IS a must! everything e I come there is someone who has not done it and they have always said man am I glad I got to try that ;0) Some evenings they have BBQ around the chuck wagon with bond fires and sing alongside. one night a week they have dance lessons and one night TONIGHT they have. Big dinner and dance. it's a blast! This year I tried fishing with a guide on his boat we caught bass,pike and of course Rainbow Trount which you can bring back and they will cook it up for you. the ranch also has a stream running threw it with fishing poles or stocked ponds to fish on. I have staiyed in two different cabins and they are both very nice. Yes they have Internet and a full bar. very family friendly with a full kids program and a kids rodeo on Friday... I am coming back again this time with more grand kids! I have been to more the this one Guest Ranch and this one is a diamond...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 68,410
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I took a kids-free trip to Wilderness Trails Ranch to celebrate our anniversary, and we couldn't have picked a better place. We worried a bit at first about being the only ones there without kids but it wasn't an issue at all. You won't find a friendlier family than the Roberts Family. They truly make you feel at home and will go out of their way to make your trip what you want it to be. Because we weren't part of a family reunion that was there at the same time, we sometimes wanted to do a different activity than the rest of the group. It wasn't a problem- they found us a guide and made it happen. The guides and wranglers are really great and you get to know them as the week goes on. They all sit and have meals with you so it has a real family feel. You can do as much or as little as you want. We were surprised with a cake at dinner time for our anniversary, and champagne and choc covered strawberries were waiting for us when we got back to our cabin that night. A true testament that they listen to their guests and care about making their trip special. The chefs were fantastic too, serving wonderful food at each meal. And super accomodating too- if there's something on the menu you don't like, no worries, they'll fix something else just for you! We really liked the happy hour each evening, and it was fun getting to know all the other guests. The area is breathtaking. I can't say enough about this family and their service. We will definitely go back someday and take the kids.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple