“Keep going back for more”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Wilderness Trails Ranch
Chicago, IL
“Keep going back for more”
Reviewed March 1, 2008

This will be our 4th year going back to Wilderness Trails Ranch. We have 2 boys now 7 and 10. Each year we have celebrated my youngest son's birthday at the ranch. They have been wonderful even making him his own birthday cake. He thinks it's the only way to celebrate a birthday.

We have loved the entire experience each year. We only ride once a year when we visit the ranch for a week but the horses are so wonderful with newbies that we feel like pros. My children can't wait to get to the stable on Monday mornings to meet their "horse friends" for the week.

The cabins are wonderful and very clean. The staff for all of the services are wonderful from wranglers to kitchen and housecleaning staff.

The kids love the activities and the wranglers. They talk about the staff months after they've returned home as they had such a good time with them.

My husband and I really love that the kids are supervised and busy (not once do they look at their game boys). We're then off on our own rides with adults experiencing the vast beauty that surrounds the ranch. We're from Chicago and you just don't have this type of natural beauty where we live. The mountain trails are breath taking and the aspen leaves are wonderful to watch in the breeze.

We gave the kids the option this year to go to another location on vacation and hands down we all voted for Wilderness Trails Ranch.

• Liked — helpful staff, clean cabins, friendly horses, definitely the massage after my rides
  • Disliked — wireless connection for internet is pretty slow
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Travellover183

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Mass
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I always wanted to ride horses and enjoy the open skies out west. Wilderness Trails was recommended to me through a friend who had gone the year before. Not finding anyone to join me I went by myself. The staff and other guests were great, I made lots of friends and felt very welcome. After riding, I grabbed a drink at the bar and we all swapped stories of the days adventure. Each meal was different but very good, western style. Breakfast is always made to order. The laid back atmosphere and relaxed workers took all the stress and worries from everyday life away.

I was a relatively new rider but the Wrangler's found me the right horse. Each day was full of choices as the guest were offered various half-day and full day riding options each day. Other activities are offered, like hiking, sailing, etc, but I only experienced riding.
After riding most guest's ran off to the hot tube or massage but I went on vacation to experience ranch life as much as possible so I tended to pester everyone on why they did this or that. The wranglers were very good natured and helped me improve my confidence and skill quite a bit.

Wilderness Trails provides cabins for all its guests, mine was great, nice and cozy with a rustic western feel. Housekeeping everyday.
Overall I would say this was one of the best adventures I have been on, well worth the price. Great People, Great food and the views of the mountains and area on horseback are just spectacular. Experience of a lifetime!

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank Rugged_Individualist
California
Reviewed April 5, 2007

My family and I have spent numerous summers at Wilderness Trails and I have to say that this past summer was just as fabulous as the years past. Every summer is fun, and leaves us with a heart full of memories to carry in to our hectic everyday lives. Staff was courteous and fun, cabins were clean, and the Roberts family made you feel like you were just an extension of their family for the week. I loved the choices in activities on a daily basis, the food, and the nightly activities (especially dance night)! Overall, it was a fabulous experience, and we can't wait to go back next summer!!!!! I would reccomend this to any family, couple, or someone who just wants to get away from the chaos of life!

• Liked — The Riding and Activities
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank BuzyBee11
Houston
Reviewed April 5, 2007

I am from Texas and have been to many Texas dude ranches. My stay at WTR in Durango far outweighed any of my other stays anywhere else (and this is coming from a proud Texas family!) The food, lodge, activities, and service was excellent. The children loved "Frontier Day" where staff taught and held activities about the wilderness and the Indians that once lived in the Colorado Rockies. It was a nice thing to have the children entertained while the adults did their own thing. The location is perfect and close enough to the small, lively town of Durango. My family and I enjoyed our stay and have even booked a week for next summer.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank TXtravler83
california
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We actually left before the week was up and stayed elsewhere. It wasn't worth it to suffer through the bad food and bad experiences. I felt hostage to the fact that the money was spent and then decided I would happily pay to leave. It was completely not what my kids or I expected. the one and only time I have ever left and would actually warn familites to avoid.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank sophia5
wildernesstrails, owner manager at Wilderness Trails Ranch, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
This review is very confusing. We did not have any guests check out ahead of schedule in July of 2005. I believe this is a farce.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
Iron Horse Inn
#3 of 10 in Bayfield
Bear Paw Lodge
Bear Paw Lodge
#6 of 10 in Bayfield

Been to Wilderness Trails Ranch? Share your experiences!