“Algoberto's Rocks”

Algoberto's Taco Shop
Ranked #23 of 66 Restaurants in Yucca Valley
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stopped at Algoberto's upon arrival in Yucca Valley. My son had arranged for the family restaurant to cater his wedding and we were there to write a check for the deposit. We had a taste of the traditional Mexican tacos for lunch and any concerns about having a "taco bar" at a wedding were assuaged - it was the perfect feast for the Awesome Desert Wedding. This family-run and very simple restaurant serves delicious Mexican food. Some reviewers did not like the service or the ambiance. Just know what to expect - it looks like a dive in a strip mall and the family does better in Spanish than in English. They handled the catering for dinner and next-day brunch with absolutely no hassles or problems. We paid the deposit by check with no receipt - they were on time, delivered, enjoyed the wedding with smiles and chatted with guests who spoke Spanish. They were patient in waiting through after-dinner toasts and all, until someone realized they needed to be paid. Everyone loved the food. They catered dinner, with an array of tacos, cheese enchiladas, beans and rice - no lard and delicious flavors. Some people have written reviews that the food is "greasy". It was authentic and flavorful, but it is not "health food" by any means. I loved the spicy pickled carrots and other side options as well. They also catered a brunch with scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes that was also delicious and simple. There were no problems with the handling of the catering for 120 people in spite of our limited conversations and moderate Spanish.

2  Thank BetsyCR
There are newer reviews for Algoberto's Taco Shop

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

walked in & the counter guy offered me a cup of Skittles, exclaiming "taste the rainbow!". interesting start to my evening. al pastor tacos are juicy & delicious. rice & beans are so-so but it doesn't make fiscal sense to order the combo anyways. al pastor tacos ala carte are $1.35 each. the combo with 2 tacos was $8. do the math. sketchy place to dine alone but glad I went. I really do plan on eating my way through the menu. the food really IS that good. full of loyal locals & like that they fed a local fried desert rat for free. pretty awesome experience.

1  Thank 2nuts
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Their carne asada burrito with a side of carrots cooked in chili peppers is my favorite Mexican dish in the USA. I've never tried anything else here, and I like lots of other Mexican restaurants. It's my #1 stop in Yucca Valley, but just be aware, it's not a pretty strip mall.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We've been here twice & I can say the fish tacos were good, the chile rellenos excellent, and the tortas huge. What I really like are the 4 different types of salsa from red to green to chipotle, mix and match--you can flavor your meal anyway you want. Tthe only bummer was when I used the restroom that particular day, the washbasin water had been turned off. Maybe there was a problem but honestly, you have to wash your hands after using the bathroom in all due respect if possible.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I had read the reviews of Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try.......The portion of food was great and the food was pretty darn good. This will definitely be one of my regulars.