“A landmark you can see from miles away - and drive around, too!”
Review of Sutter Buttes

Sutter Buttes
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I grew up in this area and the Sutter Buttes were almost always in the background. But as a kid I didn't pay them much mind. Coming back to the area years later I was struck with how prominent they are. Having extra time one morning I set off to get a closer look. Driving west from Yuba City on Hwy 20 (Colusa Hwy) will take you out to them. Turn right at Acacia Ave, heading to the town of Sutter, then left onto S. Butte Rd. There are markers periodically telling you you're on a scenic road. Just follow the the Butte Roads (S. to W. to N. to E., back to the town, then to Hwy 20). The Buttes are also know as the world's smallest mountain range. As you drive around this area of eroded vocanic domes it's easy to understand why. I read that there's a plan to create a state park somewhere in the Buttes but since the land is mostly privately held I'm guessing it might be a while before that happens. There are periodic walking (hiking, really) tours led by local groups. The drive around the Buttes took maybe an hour, even with frequent stops to take pics, as the "look" of the Buttes changes as you go around them. It was an enjoyable drive - the Buttes always to my right (I traveled clockwise) and orchards or farms to my left.

11  Thank CovingtonCat