“Massive quantity of decent food”
Review of Poor George's

Poor George's
Ranked #24 of 44 Restaurants in Yreka
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stopped in for breakfast. Carol had the eggs over easy with bacon and a side of biscuits and gravy. The eggs were a little too greasy, but tasty and the 4 huge slices of thick bacon were delicious. The biscuits and gravy filled a giant plate to overflowing. But, the flavor was average at best. Too much flour made the gravy gloppy and stiff and there was very little sausage in it.

I had the Chorizo sausage and eggs over easy. The sausage had to be about a half pound or more. It was giant, spicy and delicious. The side of pancakes was humongous. Two large pancakes overflowed a large plate. Unfortunately, the flavor was just so-so.

We both left over half the pancakes and biscuits on the plate. Just too much to eat even if they tasted better.

They are in the process of updating the interior. The carpet was off the floor, booths had been removed from one wall and replaced with tables with folding chairs, a gas fireplace was installed on a wall that was not yet finished. The updates are needed.

Service was extremely friendly and we enjoyed our experience here. Just recognize that the food is average (which is NOT bad), but that you get enormous quantities. Two people really could easily share a meal. The price is very low and you can fill up cheap.

1  Thank pkrissel

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have ate at this place several times and it is the most food you will find in Yreka. It is also great food. I like there breakfast food the best. Great food, lots of it, and a great price.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This place was recommened to us by Heidi, the front office staff at the Holiday Inn Express. At first we almost did not stop. It looks marginal from the outside----the type of place we would not normally stop at for food. But we are sure glad we made the effort. We were greeted by a great smile by the hostess and server. My wife had bacon and eggs and I ordred a custom built four egg omlette. The menu said if they did not have what we wanted they would make it for us.

My Mrs loved her bacon and eggs and hash browns. All were perfectly cooked and the bacon was huge and thick and perfectly smoked. I stole two pieces from her.

I ordered the vegi omlette with sausage added and swiss cheese with hash browns. The server talked me into the hash browns saying they make great ones. The omlette was huge, filled with goodies and the melted cheese was like butter in your mouth. The hash brown were perfect, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The server was right! We have traveled the world many times and at our age it takes quite a meal to surprise us. This was one of the top ten breakfasts in my life I am not kidding.

I always thought of Yreka as a culinary no-mans land between Ashland and Redding on I-5. Not any more. If their burgers are as good as their breakfasts we will schedule our trips to arrive in Yreka at lunchtime!

Do not be put off by the outside or th eparkign lot or th efloor or the ceiling. This is not a fancy place. The service is special and the food is fantastic.

1  Thank eur0star
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Prompt and efficient service with ample portions of tasty food at a reasonable price. Homey atmosphere. Local hotspot. Friendly, down to earth waitresses.

1  Thank WileyFahma
Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you're not in a hurry, hurry on in here. The food is worth waiting for. The price is right. The folks are folksy. Service is consistently good.

Been to Poor George's? Share your experiences!