“Not As Good as the Salinas Location”
Review of Black Bear Diner

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Yreka
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Boston, MA
“Not As Good as the Salinas Location”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went out of our way to have dinner at this chain given a great experience at the Salinas, CA location, While the food continued to be great, the service was less so and the restaurant itself appeared dirty.

Visited July 2013

Cottonwood, California, United States
“I hope it was an off day”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I love the Black Bear chain, however, this one wasn't as good as others. The wait staff seemed to be trying hard to be friendly but it seemed forced. The staff only stopped by twice to see how we were and they weren't that busy. I got corned beef hash which is normally really good, lots of meat very little potato, was very happy it came with hash browns. The hash browns were so over cooked that I couldn't even cut them with the knife. I really hope they were having a bad day.

• Visited June 2013
Tacoma, Washington
“Still like it”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Whenever we go to California, we always stop here for a late lunch or early dinner before going on to Redding.

As always, the food was good, and plentiful. No problems there.

Also as always, the service sucked. We got seated quickly enough. Our drinks arrived pretty quickly, iced tea for the Mrs. and coffee for me. Ice in the tea would have been a nice touch. When our waitress turned up after a bit longer than I thought was needed, my wife pointed out that there wasn't any ice in her iced tea. To her credit, the waitress brought a glass full of ice, which was all the Mrs. wanted.

We ordered, and dinner arrived in a timely fashion. After that, we didn't see the waitress again until she was ready to give us the check. No stopping by to see if we needed anything, like beverage refills, even though she walked by us numerous times.

It would be really nice if the service was to the same standard as the food.

• Visited June 2013
Branford, Connecticut
“Reliable dining out west”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Yreka Black Bear was just fine - - breakfast is large enough to take part to go for lunch on the road. Service is friendly and it appears there's a mix of local regulars and travelers coming off nearby I-5. I didn't need to ask for coffee to get topped up, and all in all this is one of my favorite breakfast spots when I'm out west.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Triphora
Yreka, California
“Great food, great service, great price”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you want a really good, down-home meal -- with a doggy-bag that lasts for lunch and dinner, I would highly recommend their BigFoot country-fried steak breakfast. I've tried some of their other dishes as well, but this one is by far my favorite. Their service is excellent, and everything is very reasonably priced.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Lynn B

Been to Black Bear Diner? Share your experiences!