“BLT Soup? Yep! And its good!”

Purple Plum Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Yreka
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
California
“BLT Soup? Yep! And its good!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Its been a long time since we've eaten at the Purple Plum. But, we heard the management changed owners so we decided to stop in for a small lunch. I love soup and was pleased to find out the Purple Plum offered two choices at the time of our visit. Clam Chowder (must have been left over from Friday night's dinner) and BLT soup. Yep. Bacon, lettuce and tomato. I was skeptical, but I enjoy tomato-based soups and I do love my bacon. The owner offered me a sample, which was quite large for a sample; served in a medium bowl - same size they call their cup-size. Oddly enough, the combo was delicious. I ordered the cup-size and offered to just have them "top-off" the bowl they gave me as a sample. However, they brought me a fresh bowl and to my delight there was a heaping pile of warm bacon on top. The lettuce is romaine, but I also detected spinach; another one of my favorites. A piece of fresh, homemade cornbread was served with the soup. My husband ordered pancakes and coffee. Our total bill (before tip) was under $10.

We plan to go back and try some of the other menu items. Our routine restaurant of similar menu used to be Grandma's House. But, the last few times we've gone, the food seemed old and rancid. It's nice to know we have another home-style option.

• Visited February 2014

Missoula, Montana
“Homemade soup and lots more!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I forgot how truly delicious the food is at Purple Plum. A visitor to the restaurant a few years ago when I was on business travel, I happened to stop by again with a group of friends. We were greeted in a cheery manner and seated all together. Had no idea serving sizes were so large. I ordered a Patty Melt & Soup which turned out to be fantastic - too much for lunch so saved the rest for my dinner back at the hotel. Do not hesitate stopping by to catch a meal. It is all home-cooked, reasonably priced, nutritious, family friendly and a delightful part of your day. Only wished I could have stayed longer - thank you Purple Plum!

• Visited January 2014
Vancouver
“Good food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is about the only decent eating place in town near the Best Western Hotel. We ate there a few times and enjoyed it. Good service, friendly staff.

Visited September 2013
Casa Grande, Arizona
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were tired after traveling and wanted a good quick meal and to go back to our motel and go to bed.
We decided to try the Purple Plum. We were greeted by a friendly waiter who was happy to give us some suggestions for a good meal. We found out that breakfast was served all day so my husband decided on pancakes and eggs. I had the eggs, hash browns and toast. The meals came very quickly and were very well prepared. The waiter was extremely efficient and made sure that everyone in the restaurant was served quickly and also asked if we had all that we needed. He came back later to see if the meal was to our satisfaction. We were very happy with our experience at the Purple Plum and plan to return the next time we are in town.

• Visited September 2013
Bay Area, CA
“Terrible let-down”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Having seen the reviews of this place before traveling, and having it recommended by the clerk at the Best Western, I was quite looking forward to dining here. What a disappointment. The decor is utterly charmless: bare wood floors, formica -topped tables and brightly lit. the place probably can seat about 50 people and there were only six people in there when I sat down, yet most of the tables were covered with dirty dishes and there was not a clean table to sit at. I got a table after one was cleaned off, but the others remained cluttered.

I had asked the clerk at the hotel for a recommendation for a steak and a beer but the only steak dish was advertised as being slathered in mushrooms and dark gravy, which made me doubt the quality of the meat. And this is a part of California where there are a lot of cattle!

I opted for the fried assorted seafood. Big mistake: the stuff that arrived was covered with white spots from freezer burn and had been cooked to the point where it was unrecognizable as seafood but for the tails on the shrimp. it had all the appeal of deep-fried chopped rubber bands.

The beer selection consisted of three domestic beers: Bud, Bud Light and Coors Light, as far as I can remember.

All in all, a thoroughly dispiriting experience. I would rather go hungry than go back.

• Visited June 2013