“Incredible food!”
Review of Redd

Redd
Reserve with OpenTable
Redd is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Yountville
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
San Diego, California
“Incredible food!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had one of the most outstanding meals ever at this restaurant. We are vegan, so we ordered an heirloom tomato salad without cheese that was seriously the best salad we have ever eaten. Then we asked the chef to prepare us whatever he liked, since there wasn't anything on the menu that was vegan. He made us two different meals that were off-the-hook, crazy delicious. Squash blossoms?!?! Yes, PLEASE. People in town rave about this place, and it deserves every accolade. You must eat here if you are in Napa.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Denver, Colorado
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We read so much about the restaurants in Yountville and came in with very high expectations. Redd was our first dinner on a trip of 5 days (so we ended up eating at quite a few restaurants for lunch and dinner) and I have to admit that it was a disappointing start to the trip. I didn't care for the ambience in the restaurant. The decor is modern and clean, but also somewhat boring. And I can't stand how tightly they pack tables for two along the wall. There's maybe 18" between your table and your neighbors' and I'm just too aware of what's happening at their table to enjoy what's happening at mine. It also means the wait staff are constantly next to you, either attending to you or them. When I spend $250 for a dinner out, I want it to be relaxed, leisurely, and private.

Unfortunately, I felt that the food came out too fast so that I didn't have time to digest one course before the next began, and I felt like I was constantly being watched for the moment I finished. I had the scallops and they were good, but nothing special. My husband very much disliked his pork. Were our expectations too high? Since it was our first night we couldn't tell, but after eating at several other places, I decided that no, our expectations weren't too high. We did enjoy the lobster risotto and the tempura fried fig salad. They were both phenomenal. But the overall experience was not at all what I expected given all the hype.

• Visited June 2013
new york
“It was good”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ordered the tasting menu with paired wines. I wish we would have ordered an assortment of appetizers and entrees as the people that sat next to us did. The food was excellent but I did not like that we had different tastings each served with different wines so you had to switch wine glasses and plates when you wanted to taste but that is just a personal preference of ours. The fishes were better than the meats but overall it was a good experience.

• Visited July 2013
Forestville, CA
“OK; not great; overpriced”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just had lunch at Redd. This is the third time in a row I've been underwhelmed by a fancy Napa Valley Restaurant.

I admit it: maybe I'm the problem. At a premium-price restaurant, whether I want to or not I have premium expectations. If the cost is generous, I want the food to be generous. I don't want to walk away feeling I've been scammed.

My wife and I went to Redd after it was recommended to us by a Japanese couple we met at a favorite local sushi place. (My wife is also Japanese). This couple suggested going for the meat dishes rather than the Asian-themed dishes (e.g. sashimi) which, they said, might be disappointing to a Japanese palate.

We had the shrimp salad ($14), braised lamb ($24), NY Steak Sandwich ($22), a glass of champagne and a glass of Zin ($17 each), and chocolate mousse.

The shrimp salad was tasty, if a bit heavy on the dressing. And the shrimp were perfectly cooked. But, for $14, 4 medium-sized shrimp? Do I hear someone laughing at me?

The steak sandwich and lamb were also tasty. The lamb was probably the best dish we tried. The steak was cooked right and the sandwich was fine, but, IMHO, on the small side for $22. The mousse was also good, if skimpy. The coffee was so-so.

Ambiance was fine. Service was adequate; a few lapses; nothing special.

In candor, what irked me most was the wine. $17 for a glass, and there's 1.5 inches of Zin in a big fancy glass. (I almost sent it back.) The champagne serving was also short. Yes, I understand that red wine is intentionally served in a big glass to allow the bouquet to develop. I did not expect a large glass filled to the brim. But an inch and a half? Again -- sorry to mix metaphors -- I felt like I was being milked. But, of course, it would be a breach of etiquette to point out to an up-scale establishment that they're being cheap.

There are dozens of restaurants in Napa and Sonoma county that serve tasty, interesting, carefully-prepared food, and do so with a spirit of generosity. My sense is that, in contrast, the fancy Napa-valley places are primarily money-generating business schemes preying on aristocrat wanna-be's.

Bottom line: decent food, poor value.

• Visited July 2013
Germantown, TN
“Great dinner.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great experience, this was my favorite restaurant that we vistied in Yountville. Fabulous food, great wine recommendations, no complaints!

Visited April 2013