“It was good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Redd

Redd
Reserve with OpenTable
Redd is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 28 Restaurants in Yountville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
new york
“It was good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ordered the tasting menu with paired wines. I wish we would have ordered an assortment of appetizers and entrees as the people that sat next to us did. The food was excellent but I did not like that we had different tastings each served with different wines so you had to switch wine glasses and plates when you wanted to taste but that is just a personal preference of ours. The fishes were better than the meats but overall it was a good experience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Forestville, CA
“OK; not great; overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just had lunch at Redd. This is the third time in a row I've been underwhelmed by a fancy Napa Valley Restaurant.

I admit it: maybe I'm the problem. At a premium-price restaurant, whether I want to or not I have premium expectations. If the cost is generous, I want the food to be generous. I don't want to walk away feeling I've been scammed.

My wife and I went to Redd after it was recommended to us by a Japanese couple we met at a favorite local sushi place. (My wife is also Japanese). This couple suggested going for the meat dishes rather than the Asian-themed dishes (e.g. sashimi) which, they said, might be disappointing to a Japanese palate.

We had the shrimp salad ($14), braised lamb ($24), NY Steak Sandwich ($22), a glass of champagne and a glass of Zin ($17 each), and chocolate mousse.

The shrimp salad was tasty, if a bit heavy on the dressing. And the shrimp were perfectly cooked. But, for $14, 4 medium-sized shrimp? Do I hear someone laughing at me?

The steak sandwich and lamb were also tasty. The lamb was probably the best dish we tried. The steak was cooked right and the sandwich was fine, but, IMHO, on the small side for $22. The mousse was also good, if skimpy. The coffee was so-so.

Ambiance was fine. Service was adequate; a few lapses; nothing special.

In candor, what irked me most was the wine. $17 for a glass, and there's 1.5 inches of Zin in a big fancy glass. (I almost sent it back.) The champagne serving was also short. Yes, I understand that red wine is intentionally served in a big glass to allow the bouquet to develop. I did not expect a large glass filled to the brim. But an inch and a half? Again -- sorry to mix metaphors -- I felt like I was being milked. But, of course, it would be a breach of etiquette to point out to an up-scale establishment that they're being cheap.

There are dozens of restaurants in Napa and Sonoma county that serve tasty, interesting, carefully-prepared food, and do so with a spirit of generosity. My sense is that, in contrast, the fancy Napa-valley places are primarily money-generating business schemes preying on aristocrat wanna-be's.

Bottom line: decent food, poor value.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Germantown, TN
“Great dinner.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great experience, this was my favorite restaurant that we vistied in Yountville. Fabulous food, great wine recommendations, no complaints!

Visited April 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had dinner here for our 23rd Anniversary and could not have picked a better place. The food was wonderful. You can't go wrong with anything on their menu. The decor was chic, the waiter was good but you could tell was disappointed we did not order a bottle of wine. We were touring all day and just wanted a glass. After that you could see we did not get the same attention the other tables that had bottles did. I still gave this place 5 stars because it was some of the best food we have ever eaten.

Visited October 2012
Orange County, CA
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were in town to celebrate a milestone anniversary and looked up all the menus of the restaurants we wanted to try, and we chose Redd because all of the delicious menu selections made it difficult to choose!

After discovering the tasting menu for 2 requires each person to have 5 different plates so the table has 10, we opted to make up our own menu!
We split the delectable pork belly, then had the halibut and the divine scallops and split the steak in red wine reduction sauce. Each dish was excellent, perfectly prepared, and we sopped up the sauces with the bread.

The room was a light-filled contemporary space and filled with people joyfully celebrating special events.

Book early at Open Table and you won't be disappointed!

• Visited June 2013