“Beyond...”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: étoile is one of Napa Valley’s most celebrated destinations and the only fine dining restaurant in Napa Valley located in a winery. An extraordinary setting, innovative regional California cuisine with a French influence, and seamless service combine to create the ultimate food and wine experience. At étoile, Chef Perry Hoffman marries classic, French-influenced technique with contemporary culinary innovation and fresh, seasonal ingredients. Hoffman works closely with Chandon winemakers to explore the interplay between wine and food, enhancing the experience of both. Guests may dine a la carte, or explore the ultimate food and wine pairing experience through Chef Hoffman's tasting menus at lunch and dinner. The restaurant features a Wine Spectator "Best of" Award Wine list and received a Michelin star in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Michelin Guide after being recommended in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The outstanding menu creations paired with a beautiful setting and knowledgeable service makes this a go-to for us for special occasions. The food doesn't compare to other fine dining establishments - It holds it's own. And their use of grown-on-site vegetables and herbs only makes the experience that much better.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

If you are a first time visitor to Napa, I encourage you to check out the grounds. The first time I visited Napa I had a picnic lunch here and purchased a bottle of Rosé and loved the entire experience which is why I returned. Unfortunatly, on my second visit I feel like I overpaid and wasted my time visiting. We decided to try Etoile and we were disappointed in the dishes served, we mainly filled up on bread that was served lukewarm and cold unspeadable butter. During our tasting experience, I felt we did not receive personal attention and the room was not even packed. The bottles sold in your local grocery store is perfect for me but visiting the vineyard is just not my flute of bubbles.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

A recent lunch for four at Domaine Chandon was disappointing. The quality of the food was superb, and the flavors were exquisite but the restaurant was missing the "front of house" service required of a restaurant of this caliber in our opinion.

We are not in the habit of being overly critical, but under the circumstances I think the overall service level must be improved for this establishment to compete at the level they are aiming for.

Why? To start, we had a reservation and arrived on time (noon); the dining room was not crowded and yet the service was haltingly slow and very impersonal. It was a special occasion and therefore we made several extravagant wine selections from the excellent wine list and although the total bill for four exceeded several thousand dollars (we went crazy with the wine) we never saw a sommelier, and no one came to the table to confer on the menu or other details - something we would expect based on experience in other similar establishments.

We waited a long time between courses, and definitely felt hurried through the tail end of the meal, which was surprising. So while the food was very good and the wine list was excellent the service felt incomplete and not at all up to the caliber required for the type of meal being consumed. While each server in their turn was "fine" there was no somm, no maitre 'd, no chef presence and no "guide" for a table of inquisitive foodie types. And absolutely no warmth or friendliness to the dining experience - it was completely devoid of personal touch.

Based on the surrounding competition, such as The French Laundry or The Restaurant at Meadowood -- places where you leave feeling like old friends, and places étoile could certainly be on par with -- we were underwhelmed.

1  Thank Tori750
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Superb Atmosphere, excellent service, super restaurant and lounge. The educational tour was done very well and the visitors area was very clean. I reccommend this facility as a must stop in Napa County.

2  Thank Edward S
Reviewed November 5, 2012

That's what Americans call them, we call them wasps. But given the opportunity to eat al fresco on a late summer day looking out over the beautifully sculped lawns of the Domaine Chandon, who could decline?

The service at L'Etoile was impeccable, and the food excellent - melt in your mouth rare beef - the yellowjackets liked that even more than the sweet stuff. And although being among the smartest places to eat in Napa, there was no hint of arrogance about the place - they even had the humility to offer wines from other vineyards if they believed they'd accompany your menu choice more sympathetically.

Divine.