“Utterly Disappointing”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Creek Street
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been looking forward to dining at this restaurant for over a decade. Since it has taken me this long to come back to Napa Valley after other travels around world tasting the best foods around the Globe. The $270 tasting menu is not what it´s advertised to be. For $270 anywhere around the world, for a 7 course prix fixe meal, the food should be exquisite. This restaurant has so many supplements on each of the items that it is impossible to eat at this price. For example, the soft poached buckeye hen egg was excellent with black truffles was an additional $100. We started off with the oysters and pearls which was presented beautifully and the taste was fantastic. The salad of Hawaiian Hearts of Peach palm with strawberry bavarois, cucumbers and black peppercorn aigre' doux is basically a fancy way of saying let me get rid of my veggies from the garden, give it a fancy name and stick it into the menu. The sauteed fillet of pacific Medai was mediocre, sweet butter poached maine lobster with corn ragout, tomatoes and garden lovage was tasteless. The farm Poularde Rillete was basically a lovely seared piece of canned bits of chicken in a lovely presentation. The charcoal grilled Japanese Wagyu with bordelaise sauce was way over seasoned. I had 10 glasses of water over dinner. I hate to drink water during my meals and some plates were so salty I had to drink the water. By the end of my meal, the air conditioning had blown in the restaurant due to the heat wave, I wanted to just get the hell out of there. The service was fantastic and the presentation looked beautiful but
isn't this all about the food? Chef Keller, your reputation is at stake here. You are one of the most revered chefs in the world. You are untouchable. But your staff not only made the food mediocre at best, but I was angry when I left the restaurant after I paid $1000 for my husband and I to eat dinner. I don´t think anyone should leave a restaurant feeling this way after spending this type of money and put 2 1/2 hours of investing their time at the restaurant. I would not recommend anyone to come to this restaurant for this type of quality, taste and expense. I recommend Michelin to take a hard look at giving their coveted stars.

41  Thank KJM-NYC
There are newer reviews for The French Laundry

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is the second time we dine here and i have t o say the fir st time i was mesmerized with the flavor s and was happy to pay. This time i actually feel TRICKED! OK, 2 out of 8 dishes were GREAT (but i had to pay a supplement for them) but the rest were just standard dishes; one of them even salty! service superb as usual but REALLY....there are SO MANY DELICIOUS RESTAURANT (and less snobby) in Napa. They should defenetely TAKE AWAY THE MICHELIN STAR and give it to Moorimoto, Mustard's grill among others. We travel a lot and live to eat.
Very HAPPY to spend money when it is worth it!

3  Thank solei15
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Eating at the French Laundry is a rare treat. The food was superb, the service was on point and the wine pairing was perfect. My wife and I were lucky to get off the waiting list. The sommelier created a personal wine pairing for us after asking only a few questions as to our preferences. The food was a delight.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

OK is good but NOT EVERYTHING!! some Dishes were GREAT but others were simply BAD!!
went 2 years ago and left mesmerized. Not this time!! We have no problem paing for good food but THIS IS NOT WORTH IT. I´ll rather DONATE the money than eat in an OVER RATED PLACE.
They should take AWAY the mischelin star and Thomas keller should REVIEW his dishes!!!
we were aparty of four and ALL OF US AGREE!!!

4  Thank solei15
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary at the French Laundry. This is the second time we dine there and I remembered why I left disappointed last time. The service is as always impeccable, the food presentation was as expected (good), but the flavors SUCKED. This was a 500 USD per person meal that I would not pay 50 USD for. I am sure that if Chef Keller tasted his food tonight he too would be disappointed.
"Mr. Keller, when was the last time you tried your food??" I am upset, not because of the check, but because we waisted our time tonight. And the cherry on the cake!! No air conditioning tonight!!!

20  Thank Padelis P