“A dining experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Creek Street
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The French Laundry is way more than a meal..it is an experience.
The service is without match. They were only too happy to accommodate the varied diet restrictions and tastes of our party and found us great wines within our "budget".
And needless to say, the food was amazing.
Though certainly expensive, the experience totally lived up to the hype.

1  Thank parguy99

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We love food! We loved Mr Keller's vision which is after three bites you are bored with plate. The presentation was lovely, no doubt. But I should never leave hungry, ever! The portion sizes were so very small, not even a bite and a half! My vegetarian main course was seriously two bites an that is not ok. Very pricey and just not worth it. His other restaurants are great and worth ever penny. It is an experience but not worth the price.

17  Thank havefun135
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I were married in wine country and went back last weekend to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary. I was so excited when my husband said he had scored a reservation at The French Laundry. We aren't foodies in the true sense of the word, but have eaten at restaurants around the world and both agreed this meal and the overall experience definitely met, if not surpassed, our expectations. A lunch reservation allowed us to enjoy the garden and grounds and we even had a cozy seat under a beautiful skylight with a gorgeous tree draped overhead. A picturesque window to the wine cellar was nearby. We were served complimentary celebratory champagne and given a menu personalized with our names and anniversary date - nice touch! I confess I was actually a bit nervous about going, but the staff immediately puts you at ease and you begin to realize you are experiencing the meal of a lifetime. The fresh ingredients, artistic presentations and unique flavor pairings left us in awe. Although we didn't have any special requests, the restaurant is willing to accommodate them, as we noted a nearby party indicated a certain dietary preference. The courses are served at a perfect pace, and you find yourself hoping the experience will never end. (It's almost like your wedding - so much anticipation and then over much too fast!) We were thrilled to get a glimpse of Thomas Keller himself at the next table ensuring a party of four were having the ultimate experience. Like others, we got a peek in the bustling kitchen and an autographed menu, as well as a cute silver tin with the signature clothespin filled with shortbread cookies when we departed. I don't know if we will ever have the opportunity to return, but it is an afternoon and anniversary we will never forget.

1  Thank STL2SFO
Reviewed June 4, 2013

If someone gave me $1K to drop on another dining experience at The French Laundry, I can't say I would go back. Cost was not the issue - there were several other factors that did not sit well with our experience. Example #1: When I asked the sommelier for a ripe fruit forward, rich, buttery glass of Chardonnay to pair up with several of the first courses and was brought a more citrus-y, lighter drinking white, I was disappointed. Maybe his selection was a preferred pairing, but an explanation of this would have been more appropriate instead of bringing me the opposite of what I requested. Example #2: The butter-poached lobster which I was very much looking forward was King Crab instead. I love King Crab, but it was just ok. Example #3: My husband choose the Japanese Wagyu supplement (course 6), but unfortunately was served pork by mistake. The correction was made, but I was surprised by the mis-step. Example #4: With input from the sommelier, we choose a bottle of red wine. Unfortunately the bottle should have been decanted or opened at least 20 minutes before serving as the alcohol was overwhelming on the first pour from the freshly opened bottle. Since we saw several other tables with decanted wine, we were disappointed with the lack of attention. Highlights: Oysters & Pearls, King Salmon, Japanese Wagyu, Princess Cake and excellent servers.

1  Thank Varucca
Reviewed June 4, 2013

If this place isn't five stars, what is?

We had the nine course "tasting" menu for dinner and were delighted. All courses were SMALL, but altogether they added up to a full meal. Believe it or not, my favorite course was the very first one: Oysters & Pearls - to die for! Frankly, all the others were either 4 or 5 stars, I think, but guess what?: I managed to eat them all.

Before you die, you must dine here once. Three Michelin stars, you know. Then, you can go to heaven.

BTW, Gentlemen, bring a jacket & three credit cards, you'll need them.

3  Thank Jdeppman