“Is there a $800 meal for two that IS worth it??”
Review of The French Laundry

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Creek Street
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Answer: no. However, there are few meals for two that are as impressive as the one you will enjoy at the French Laundry in Napa. Bottom line is you are paying for the experience, not so much the actual taste of the food. This, of course, is my opinion only. I am far from a foodie on the level you would need to be to truly enjoy the dishes set before you at this restaurant. There was no course during my meal (Chef's Tasting) that would be considered "one of the best things I have ever eaten." Truthfully, I much more enjoyed watching the pleasure my wife experienced as we dined there in September on her 40th birthday. It was a bucket list item for her and I scored some big points for landing a reservation.

Let me put it this way, there is no doubt that the meal and ingredients, the wine, the service, everything is top notch. The taste of food itself, for me however, was just OK. I was able to let go of what the meal was costing us because honestly, I challenge anyone anywhere to set before me a meal that I would consider to be worthy of what they charge here. I mean, it is simply ludicrous. But for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to dine on what is widely considered one of the best restaurants on the planet with my wife - that is priceless.

By the way, for anyone saying they left there hungry, wow. No clue how that could happen. I was absolutely stuffed 3/4 of the way through dinner. I struggled to get dessert down. And yes, it is all of a 3 hour dinner. If you can land a reservation, enjoy! And forget about the bill. There is no such thing a $800 meal for two that is technically worth it!

There are newer reviews for The French Laundry

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've been really eager to eat here for years and finally found ourselves heading out to Napa Valley and got a lunch reservation. I'm not sure what to say that hasn't been said about the FL over many years. It was a spectacular meal and among the best in the world. I don't want to diminish the experience, but I will say that it certainly wasn't cutting edge or innovative in any way. One remark I will make is to suggest having lunch as opposed to dinner. The menu and experience is identical and the gluttonous encounter is more easily worn off in the day (nb - we typically do this with 'event' type meals ... particularly in Paris).

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Portions are small and check is big. Just be aware of the kind of food and price you are getting here. There is better food for less money elsewhere in Napa Valley.

2  Thank BStreetTraveler
Reviewed November 2, 2012

EXPENSIVE! But worth one visit in a life time. Many buy special dining attire just for their reservation. Food is exquisite. Before you go in look across the street to see the extensive garden that supplies the veg and herbs. If you are in the Napa Valley, go. Reservations are months out so reserve as soon as you have a hint that you will be in the area. Lunch is quicker and a bit less expensive than dinner.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Like all great restaurants it is quite a challenge to get a booking, but well worth the effort.
Great food, nice atmosphere and be sure to arrive early enough for a walk around Yountville to see all the weird and wonderful vegetables being grown in the communal allotments.