“A Nice addition in Yountville of a sister restaurant to the famous Rutherford Grill!t to”
Review of R+D Kitchen

R+D Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 31 Restaurants in Yountville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Madison
Description: Local favorite in the heart of Napa Valley. Be sure to try our versions of classic American dishes like the Reubenesque Sandwich, the Chicken and Spinach Salad, and our Three-Layer Carrot Cake with toasted walnuts and mascapone icing. We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The restaurant is situated just off Rte. 29 and the exit for Washington street at the north end of Yountville and is almost a 'spitting' image of the famous Rutherford Grill. It has the identical ambience but a lot less noise and much better acoustics.

We have eaten at this restaurant twice in two months and will definitely visit it again.

The hostesses are warm and friendly, the service is professional and quick and food is excellent. The menu is similar to the Rutherford grill but with unique touches of its own. The well known go to appetizer, grilled artichoke hearts was missing but was replaced with a killer Guacamole and chips which we had to order. These were so delicious I almost made a meal of them. The waiting staff was so attentive, they brought another helping as soon as the first one was almost finished.

We had come here with our daughter, son-in-law and our six year old grand daughter. All five of us were seated in a comfortable corner booth with plenty of elbow room and play space for the little one.

I first ordered a glass of Staglin Salus Chardonnay which was just delightful- clear, crisp, without any oakiness to it, yet smooth and complex; a perfect example of the new Chardonnays.

For the entree's I ordered a trout filet with almonds and kale, my daughter ordered Crispy chicken sandwich, and my wife ordered spare ribs. The food was delicious and cooked to perfection.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have been here twice in the last month. The food has never been an issue. On our last visit, we were with friends and we ordered two appetizers. They were served to us quickly and it was all good. Then, out of the blue, a second set arrived at the table. When we quizzed the server (there were actually 3 that waited on us, which may in fact be the root of the problem), he said that they were unsure if we got them. They said to keep them at no charge.

I know the restaurant is owned by Houstons, but the service is just not as seamless. It seemed at times that the rotating servers were getting in each others way. This was less evident the first visit, but that was on a slower afternoon at lunch. This experience was on a very busy Saturday Evening.

One more point of issue, we had a reservation for 6:30 ( I know, Golden Girls dinnertime), and we arrived at 6:34. The hostess said that our reservation was for 6:15 (it wasn't) and that we would have to wait 20 minutes. 45 seconds later, she said our table was ready. WTH?

Anyway, go for the food and the atmosphere. The architecture is fun and the style is modern. Just not sure what to expect from the service.

Steve C, Manager at R+D Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Hi,

I wanted to thank you so much for your most recent review of R+D Kitchen. Your comments about service are very important to us, and we use this feedback to make the restaurant better. I can assure you we have shared this review with the entire team and we will be focusing on creating a more seamless experience for all guests.

I wanted to also apologize for learning on the expense of your experience. As a thank-you for your feedback, I would like to invite you back and show what we have learned! Please let me know when you will be in town and your next meal will be our treat.

Best,

Steve Crompton
R+D Kitchen
707.945.0920

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I was all about coming here for the three layer carrot cake , which was brilliant - moist and not too sweet. However the winner was definitely the Thai tuna sushi roll -wow, each piece was like a party in my mouth! Main courses didn't disappoint either, the Thai steak salad was delicious and generous.
Excellent value for Yountville, good service and we will be thinking about those dishes for a long time to come!

1  Thank Hippyhappyharry
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Yountville has a new restaurant, & it is a gorgeous restaurant with great food & terrific service. This was out first time here, & from the moment you walk up to the restaurant you can see who beautifully it has been designed. The outside patio will welcoming on sunny & warm days. The inside is designed with comfort and beauty-there are booths, a long bar, & beautiful finishing details from the ceiling to the lighting. We loved the menu as it has eclectic offerings-what I called a little something for everyone. We had spicy crab roll appetizer, Shrimp Louie Salad, Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes, & a Seared Ahi Tuna Salad. It was all terrific, & the service was really outstanding. Look forward to finding an excuse to come here again.

1  Thank JeevesBertie
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stopped in for a late lunch after wine tasting. Had a short wait before being seated but have a nice area outside. Service was great. Had the double dip appetizer and the tuna burger. Both were fresh and flavorfull. look forward to eating here again on our next visit.

1  Thank Gary K