“Very pleasant, cordial, romantic, relaxing”
Review of Vintage Inn

Vintage Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
los angeles, ca
“Very pleasant, cordial, romantic, relaxing”
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I read many reviews, but did not appreciate the place until we were there . The rooms are arranged in clusters of buildings nestled among flowers, pear trees, fountains and streams. The rooms are cozy, clean and all have balconies. The breakfast is outstanding: fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, hot and cold cereals, multiple juices, champagne, omelets cooked to your order, various selections of rolls, etc., etc. The pool was large enough to do laps and was beautiful just to lay by. The spa was located in front of the Vilagio. What a treatment we got!
The only downsides at the Vintage were the closeness to the highway and the lack of sound proofing which made sleeping a little difficult without the loud air conditioning turned on. The price was comparable to others in the area.

The sister hotel The Vilagio was a little stuffy and formal from what we could tell from walking the grounds. The Napa Valley Lodge which we did stay at as well was an upgraded motel, unless you got lucky like us and got upgraded to the one suite the Bella Vista room. This is the room you see in the ads. The bed was very comfortable and it was soundproof. However, breakfast was a joke. All three places charge the same.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wayland, MA
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I just returned from 4 nights at The Vintage Inn. I was attending a meeting for 2 days, and we checked in to the Inn 2 days early to enjoy Napa Valley. From check in to check out, the staff could not have been more friendly or attentive. The room was excellent, and the bed felt like sleeping on a cloud. What made the experience so nice was that I was never aware of what the staff was doing, whether it was turn down service or anything else; just seamless, effortless service. We have traveled throughout the US and Europe, and I would rank this property at the top of the list of places we have stayed.

The breakfasts, both in the main dining area, and also catered for our meeting, were really good. We also took advantage of the access which we had to the spa at the Villagio; it was wonderful and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We stayed at the Vintage Inn for 3 nights in July. I found the inn wonderful for the $250 price point we paid. As others have mentioned, the grounds are lovely. The breakfast is great - flaky pastries, an omelet station, and great fruit and cheese. The best breakfast buffet ever, as some have said? Certainly not, but for free, it was pretty good. The afternoon tea is a nice touch and I appreciated the lemonade and iced tea out all day. Staff is very friendly, and location can't be beat.

I do agree that the rooms are dated. The strange curtains around the tub were just odd, the deep tub/shower combo is unusual, the carpet needs to be replaced, and the bedding wasn't pretty. I chalked it up to a difference in style as much as anything else. Our room was extremely clean though, and there were some nice touches like the welcome wine and the espresso machine in each room. The free wine tasting at Napa Style was great. I appreciated that the inn does not nickel and dime you -- I've paid much more for hotels that charge for water and coffee.

In terms of complaints about flat screen TVs and similar items, I think you need to go to a different class of hotel for those amenities. I went to the Vintage Inn expecting a decent place for the relatively low price point compared with Auberge and other luxury wine country hotels, and that is what I got. My husband and I both enjoy luxury travel and have stayed at our share of Four Seasons and similar hotels, and both found the Vintage Inn to be a wonderful place for the price.

A few tips regarding Yountville: (1) we loved Bottega and Mustard's, thought Hurleys and Pacific Blue were more than adequate. I think Bouchon and the bakery are over-rated; (2) we rented bikes from the bike company up the street instead of the hotel, in case we needed road side assistance. I highly recommend a bike tour; (3) about 1/2 mile down Washington from teh hotel is a little park with a permanent Bocce ball court -- adorable

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Belgium
Reviewed July 2, 2009

This is such a wonderful place. We are frequent travellers and have been in a lot of beautiful hotels before but this is one of our favourites. Beautiful grounds, lovely rooms, excellent location in the center of Yountville and close to the vineyards, delicious breakfast offering a wide range of pastries, fruits, bread, cereal, omelets made to order... Poolarea is beautiful with large pool, comfortable loungers, hot tub and fire pit. We hope to come back here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Southern California
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We have stayed here three times now and I love it more every time! We stayed this time for my husband's 40th b-day and wine tasting - it was a great time. The grounds and rooms are beautiful, clean, luxurious, and tastefully decorated. But oh! the Breakfast! It's just an amazing feast for the eyes as well as the palate. There is something for everyone and they also have little snacks and wine tasting in the afternoons, also presented stunningly. I cannot give this place high enough praise. We love the relaxed "french" decor, the comfy luxurious beds, the decks outside the rooms, the high ceilings, the beautiful bathrooms. The service has always been outstanding, we have never had an iota of a negative feeling from this hotel. If you can afford it and love the wine country like we do, do not hesitate to make your reservations! We will definitely return!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I paid $315, taxes etc included. For that price this was a decent room in the wonderful city of Yountville. If I had paid the amount listed on the website (around $400+) I would have been quite upset. There are two problems with the room: First, it looks dated and is in serious need of updating. I know their theme is to look like Provence but all of the nice hotels in Provence are modernized with updated furniture, flat screens etc. Second, there were insects in the room. A considerable amount of them (especially in the tub). There was even one in the coffee maker.

Don't get me wrong, if you look the older look and don't mind a few bugs then this place is great. The room is a good size as is the bathroom and the grounds are well kept and the breakfast is the best I've ever had in Napa (freshly made to order omlettes and waffles, and champagne breakfast). The people are friendly and the pool is nice. Of course, being Yountville this was within walking distance of all the great restaurants.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I WISH I could give the Vintage Inn 5 stars, but I'm going to have to give it 4 stars for one reason only. Okay, lets have the bad news first: I was only disappointed with the somewhat dated rooms and mattress. Everything else sparkles. The rooms simply need some updating, better furniture, a firmer/better mattress, and maybe new carpeting for me to give the Vintage Inn the A+ that it so closely deserves.

I read somewhere in one of the pamphlets that the Vintage Inn was built in 1985, and the sister property, the Villagio was built in 1998. Both properties somehow appear to be related to the "V Marketplace" which is a really neat shopping and restaurant area within walking distance. The Vintage and the Villagio share a concierge and if guests of the Vintage want spa services, it is a short walk to the Villagio spa. It all depends on your budget... if you don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a hotel, but still want to be surrounded by luxury, beauty, services and attention to detail, then the Vintage Inn is the perfect choice.

So onto the GOOD news. The Vintage Inn offers the following:
*Gorgeous grounds and fountains throughout.
*A beautiful, clean heated pool with great lounge chairs and pool towels.
*A HOT hot-tub and iced-water with lemon slices within reach to cool you down.
*A beautiful lobby with a fire place that's on to warm you up even at 7am.
*Gormet breakfast spread included in the price, complete with champagne for mimosas and a chef making made-to-order omlettes.
*Tea-time from 3-5 with delicious pastries and finger sandwiches, also included in the price.
*Beautiful bathrooms in the rooms, with a great tub.
*The rooms include a fireplace, patio, espresso machine, bottle of wine, refrigerator, excellent sheets and comfortor, umbrella, and daily newspapers.

One more important note... the location. Yountville is a tiny but gorgeous town with world-class restaurants and several tasting rooms within walking distance. This means, no drinking and driving... everyone in your party can enjoy! The town itself is so clean and pretty, it's almost like a movie set. It's unreal to step out your front door to see the gorgeous vine-covered hills and mountains, and a colorful hot-air balloon taking off. I definitely recommend staying away from the town of Napa itself. I drove through it just to see what it's all about... I got stuck in traffic, there were city busses and school busses racing down the streets, my stress level automatically returned! It melted away and I literally sighed with relief when I returned to the Vintage Inn in Yountville!

I definitely recommend the Vintage Inn. If you have the extra $$ to splurge, then maybe try the sister property. If not, don't think twice and stay here!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jewels614
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,924 reviews

Been to Vintage Inn? Share your experiences!