“Our second visit was better than the first!”
Review of North Block Hotel

North Block Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My in laws were in town and we wanted to take them somewhere nice and so we went back to the North Block because we loved it so much the first time we went. It was even better the second time and my in laws loved it!!! The staff is just the best. S helpful and professional without being in your face or pretentious. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are beautiful. Go to the restaurant, Redwood that is at the hotel. It was one of our most favorite meals in the area. Treat yourself and stay at this hotel!!, you will be happy that you did.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ty A, General Manager at North Block Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Babs,
Thank you for the review.
I know entertaining the in-laws sometimes comes with a lot of pressure - I am glad to hear they (and you) enjoyed your visit.
Hopefully we'll have an opportunity to welcome you for a third time.
Please feel free to reach out to me when you're ready to make your plans.
Many thanks & best regards,

There are newer reviews for North Block Hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Because of Tripadvisor's ratings, we stayed at this hotel for three nights recently. The hotel is located in a good area for wineries and restaurants. We always had a hard time parking.The room was filthy, shower had mold in it. The carpet was dirty. Our white socks were brown after walking around in the room. The price is outrageous for this hotel, for this price you can find a much nicer hotel or resort.
Except for one of the bellmen, the staff was not friendly or welcoming.
We did not feel special, valued or appreciated during our stay. There was a note in the room when we arrived directed to other people that were not us. We tried to get assistance from staff to book a massage but the gal was on the phone or too busy each time we went to the lobby. We ended up getting massages elsewhere. Our visit did not offer the luxury or comfort one would expect from this category of hotel. As a result of my disappointment with this hotel, we spent most of our time traveling around to wineries and staying away. It goes without saying that I would encourage you to look elsewhere if you are seeking a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pat s

Dear Pat,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
I sincerely apologize for the disappointments you experienced during your stay.
Our housekeeping team now includes a top-notch supervisor and I am pleased to report the concerns you noted have been rectified.
Again, I thank you for the review and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our stay was wonderful. A very charming room and a great location to everything in Napa. Not just your typical hotel room. Wonderful "extras." Take my word for it and stay at the North Block.

Our sons had given us this stay for our 40th wedding anniversary. I would definately go back. The restaurant connected to the hotel was just as satisfying.

Room Tip: Request an inner room facing the courtyard
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second time visiting Yountville and our first visit to North Block Hotel. We had a great holiday experience from start to finish. The concierge was very accomodating when we showed up many hours before check in time, and called us when our room was available. I thought the room was very contemporary and relaxing, with a large bathroom (and lovely ameneties) which is always nice when away on a holiday. They also have some of the most comfortable beds and bedding Ive come across while traveling. While we were there the weather was unseasonally hot and we were able to take advantage of their nice pool after a day of wine tasting. Redwood is the restaurant connected to the hotel and we thought it was a perfect place to enjoy some of our more casual meals. North Block is a very short walk to all of Yountvilles top restaurants. All in all I had a great experience and would reccomend the hotel, and would visit it again whenever I returned to Yountville!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The North Block Hotel is a very nice hotel. First and foremost - with the exception of a couple of small stains on the carpet - our room was clean, which is my #1 criterion. Secondly, the bed is wonderful with a thick mattress, a cozy comforter, and perfect pillows. The bathroom is nice and large with a big soaking tub, separate shower, and large vanity-sink area with two sinks and large drawers - which I especially appreciated. It was so nice to be able to put our personal items out of sight instead of leaving them piled on the counter.

We found the staff to be welcoming, courteous, and helpful. The courtyard that the rooms are grouped around is beautiful, and the on-site restaurant (Redd Wood) serves a nice breakfast (not included with the room).

However, hotels that are as expensive as the North Block are held to a higher-standard and I expect them to be impeccable. I did have a couple of complaints. The lighting in the bathroom was very dim and we did not like having large bottles of body/hand cleansers and lotion that had obviously been used by prior guests. At home I expect to share soaps and lotions with my family - but I don't like sharing with the strangers that stayed in my room before me. It is, to me, a health/hygiene/sanitary concern.

As others have mentioned, noise is an issue. Morning and night we were aware of our upstairs neighbors - and we could hear them going up and down the stairs beside our room. I don't think there is anything the hotel can do about that - but the disturbance is still bothersome.

My biggest complaint is that the maid cleaned out our refrigerator, removing items we had put in there, despite the fact we were staying another night. (And it was obvious that we hadn't checked out - our things were still in the room, in plain sight.) I think it is totally inappropriate for my things to be removed/discarded before I have checked out and I'm not sure what the maid was thinking. This incident left me with a very irritated negative feeling.

Don't know if I'd go back, even though I liked the North Block Hotel. The hotel is expensive. I loved the comfy bed and friendly staff, but didn't like having my stuff in the fridge disposed of, poor lighting, communal bath amenities, and hearing my neighbors morning and night. I expect better from a high-end place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the restaurant and main road as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ty A, General Manager at North Block Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

While I am always pleased to hear the positive comments on the hotel, restaurant and our staff, I am disappointed there were a few areas in which you were unhappy.
I agree with you on the bathroom lighting. This will be addressed in our next renovation. Until then, lighted makeup mirrors will be placed in all bathrooms.
As for the bath amenities, we understand some guests prefer single-use bottles, so we always keep a supply on-hand for such requests. It seems the large refillable bottles are becoming more common at luxury hotels. In fact, I just read the Four Seasons Hualalai is moving to a similar program. They estimate this will prevent 100,000 small bottles from being discarded annually.
I am very sorry the items in your refrigerator were discarded. Thanks to your feedback, my team and I have re-educated our housekeepers on the proper protocols.
Thank you for the valuable feedback. If you’d be willing to give North Block another try on your next visit, please reach out to me directly.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The photos did not do justice to this cozy, stylish and chic place that proves that being a warm , inviting place does not have to sacrifice an ounce of style. From tHe moment we stepped onto the courtyard to our quick efficient check in, to the personalized welcome, we loved every minute of our stay. Restaurant was charming and eclectic and the food was tasty and hearty. Items in the lobby shop are quirky, fun and cool. We highly recommend North Block.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Leah P

Hi Leah,
Thank you for the kind words.
We look forward to your next visit.
Safe travels & best wishes,
Ty Accornero & the team at North Block

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We loved this place-high end rooms, lovely furnishings, convenient to restaurants and great staff and service. Price seemed a bit high, but within range of expectations. One downside is we heard constant traffic when windows were open.

• Stayed: June 2013
Ty A, General Manager at North Block Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Hi Bonnie,
Thank you staying at North Block and taking the time to post the review.
Only a few rooms are affected by the traffic noise. Give us a call before your next visit and we'll do our best to make sure you are in an extra-quiet location.
Thanks again & safe travels.
Ty Accornero

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer

Been to North Block Hotel? Share your experiences!