North Block Hotel
Hotel Yountville(Yountville)
Rancho Caymus Inn(Rutherford)
Napa Winery Inn(Napa)
View Hotel
All reviewsredd woodheated floorsrainfall shower headboutique hotelnapa valleyfrench laundrybeautiful courtyardglass of winerestoration hardwarebathroom floorrooms facewine countrycomfortable beddouble sinkssmall hotelwalking distancehotel guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The North Block Hotel is a very nice hotel. First and foremost - with the exception of a couple of small stains on the carpet - our room was clean, which is my #1 criterion. Secondly, the bed is wonderful with a thick mattress, a cozy comforter, and perfect pillows. The bathroom is nice and large with a big soaking tub, separate shower, and large vanity-sink area with two sinks and large drawers - which I especially appreciated. It was so nice to be able to put our personal items out of sight instead of leaving them piled on the counter.

We found the staff to be welcoming, courteous, and helpful. The courtyard that the rooms are grouped around is beautiful, and the on-site restaurant (Redd Wood) serves a nice breakfast (not included with the room).

However, hotels that are as expensive as the North Block are held to a higher-standard and I expect them to be impeccable. I did have a couple of complaints. The lighting in the bathroom was very dim and we did not like having large bottles of body/hand cleansers and lotion that had obviously been used by prior guests. At home I expect to share soaps and lotions with my family - but I don't like sharing with the strangers that stayed in my room before me. It is, to me, a health/hygiene/sanitary concern.

As others have mentioned, noise is an issue. Morning and night we were aware of our upstairs neighbors - and we could hear them going up and down the stairs beside our room. I don't think there is anything the hotel can do about that - but the disturbance is still bothersome.

My biggest complaint is that the maid cleaned out our refrigerator, removing items we had put in there, despite the fact we were staying another night. (And it was obvious that we hadn't checked out - our things were still in the room, in plain sight.) I think it is totally inappropriate for my things to be removed/discarded before I have checked out and I'm not sure what the maid was thinking. This incident left me with a very irritated negative feeling.

Don't know if I'd go back, even though I liked the North Block Hotel. The hotel is expensive. I loved the comfy bed and friendly staff, but didn't like having my stuff in the fridge disposed of, poor lighting, communal bath amenities, and hearing my neighbors morning and night. I expect better from a high-end place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the restaurant and main road as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ty A, General Manager at North Block Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

While I am always pleased to hear the positive comments on the hotel, restaurant and our staff, I am disappointed there were a few areas in which you were unhappy.
I agree with you on the bathroom lighting. This will be addressed in our next renovation. Until then, lighted makeup mirrors will be placed in all bathrooms.
As for the bath amenities, we understand some guests prefer single-use bottles, so we always keep a supply on-hand for such requests. It seems the large refillable bottles are becoming more common at luxury hotels. In fact, I just read the Four Seasons Hualalai is moving to a similar program. They estimate this will prevent 100,000 small bottles from being discarded annually.
I am very sorry the items in your refrigerator were discarded. Thanks to your feedback, my team and I have re-educated our housekeepers on the proper protocols.
Thank you for the valuable feedback. If you’d be willing to give North Block another try on your next visit, please reach out to me directly.
Ty Accornero

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The photos did not do justice to this cozy, stylish and chic place that proves that being a warm , inviting place does not have to sacrifice an ounce of style. From tHe moment we stepped onto the courtyard to our quick efficient check in, to the personalized welcome, we loved every minute of our stay. Restaurant was charming and eclectic and the food was tasty and hearty. Items in the lobby shop are quirky, fun and cool. We highly recommend North Block.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Leah P

Hi Leah,
Thank you for the kind words.
We look forward to your next visit.
Safe travels & best wishes,
Ty Accornero & the team at North Block

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We loved this place-high end rooms, lovely furnishings, convenient to restaurants and great staff and service. Price seemed a bit high, but within range of expectations. One downside is we heard constant traffic when windows were open.

• Stayed: June 2013
Ty A, General Manager at North Block Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Hi Bonnie,
Thank you staying at North Block and taking the time to post the review.
Only a few rooms are affected by the traffic noise. Give us a call before your next visit and we'll do our best to make sure you are in an extra-quiet location.
Thanks again & safe travels.
Ty Accornero

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the North Block Hotel in Yountville and have no regrets with our choice to splurge to stay there. The location is perfect. The North Block is a short, peaceful walk into downtown Yountville. Each morning we walked to Bouchon for coffee and pastries. In the evenings we walked to the wonderful restaurants in Yountville. There are also several tasting rooms that are a short walk from the hotel (we liked Jessup and Girard).

Our room was great as well. Our first impression was that it was a little small, but that ended up not being a big deal. The bathroom was enormous and the heated floors were a real luxury. The rain shower and separate soaking tub were also a treat. The bed was very comfortable, and we liked everything about the room. The staff were extremely helpful and the hotel is well-kept and clean. The pool, hot tub, and courtyard were great as well.

I would recommend Redd Wood - it is the pizza restaurant connected to the hotel and we enjoyed that for a casual dinner.

We can't wait to go back to the North Block Hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Loved this small hotel in Yountville. Clean, new, modern, with an extremely efficient concierge service. Room 30 was a king w/fireplace (not much use in June) but it was a bit too close to the restaurant and courtyard noise below. Gorgeous, big bathroom with two sink vanity and drawers to stash all your stuff really made it a great place to unpack for a week without junk all over the place. Next time we'll request a room a bit closer to the pool. Quite manageable, though. Location at the top of town was still well within walking distance of the restaurants and tasting rooms in the town. Being in Yountville was the perfect spot to stay....great central location for exploring many AVAs. Great choice!

Room Tip: Room 30 was a bit too close to the restaurant and courtyard noise. A room closer to the pool would be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple