“Perfect location for a great time in Napa valley!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
North Block Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Perfect location for a great time in Napa valley!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

NOrth Block hotel was a great spot for our day in Napa valley. We had not visited before and found ourselves really enjoying the whole area! When we reached the hotel we were tired and needed a rest before a late dinner - the hotel wildly exceeded my expectations! very comfortable, roomy, and modern, a=with a beautiful courtyard - outdoor fireplace and all, and lovely sitting areas both private and public at the hotel. I wish we had more time to really enjoy the hotel, and I do not say that often.

I highly recommend this as a base camp for Napa valley or for a spot to just get away form it all for a few days. Walking distance for many wonderful restaurants too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Fairfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm pregnant with just a month to go. Limited by this, we decided on a quick 2 night "babymoon" close to home. Our preference for modern decor lead us to either North Block Hotel or Bardesonno. We regrettably opted for North Block Hotel because of the Sip and Savor deal advertised on the tripadvisor website. What I didn't know at the time but would have readily accepted if someone clearly explained to me from the beginning was that the deal was only redeemable if reservations were booked directly through the hotel (since they charge you more per night to cover the cost of the deal). The advertisement notes to call in to redeem but it doesn't clarify who to call. We booked our reservations through hotels.com the week before arrival and immediately called the hotel directly to inquire about how to redeem the deal. The person I spoke with didn't know anything about the deal even though I named it specifically and said I saw it on tripadvisor. She told me I had to call tripadvisor and I expressed hesitation since there isn't a number for them and it seemed to me that the appropriate step was to call the hotel. I ended up calling hotels.com but they also were unfamiliar with the deal and advised me to call the hotel. Wanting to minimize my stress level, I decided to inquire about it in person at the front desk when we arrived. Upon arrival I did ask again and was told I had to call Expedia (apparently hotels.com booked though Expedia). I spent half an hour in my room calling hotels.com again who was of no help but claimed they would email the hotel on my behalf. I advised the front desk of this but they never received an email. I made one more attempt at asking the front desk for assistance and mentioned that I didn't even care for the entire package deal but hoped that we could work something out to get the spa gift certificate or something comparable so that I could get a maternity massage. The girl this time was familiar with the deal and understanding of our frustration but her hands were tied so she brought out her supervisor. The supervisor was no help at all. Rather than acknowledge her staff's contribution to our confusion she asked how much we paid through hotels.com and ultimately resolved that the best thing we could do was reserve a treatment a la carte and pay full price. Sure, of course we could pay that if we really wanted the massage but more important to us was the principal that we were misguided and therefore missed the opportunity to redeem the deal. We travel a lot and have never met a manager who failed to make some sort of attempt at accommodating for an inconvenience. Especially when you are paying almost $500 a night, you would expect more. Even if she could not honor the full $200 gift certificate, she didn't try to offer a minimal discount of any sort during our stay. I have no desire to return later as she suggested because I will no longer be pregnant and will have missed that window. It's a good thing we live in the bay area. We would have been sourly disappointed if we had flown in from somewhere further. Fine dining and excellent service at the restaurants within walking distance were our only saving grace.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gardelyn J
Ty A, General Manager at North Block Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Gardelyn,
Since we always strive to provide exceptional service, I was disappointed to hear your babymoon was not as enjoyable as you had hoped.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the confusion in booking the package.
We always suggest booking directly through the hotel and selecting the package at that time.
With that said, I strongly agree that our entire team should always be aware of all of the offers we have available, and we will certainly make sure everyone is informed so that this situation is avoided in the future. Again, please accept my sincerest apologies.
Please contact me directly if you get a chance to return - if not overnight, perhaps a day trip with a mom's massage?
My best,
Ty
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The best location if you are interested in Fine Dining. Walking distance to all the best restaurants, Bottega, Bouchon, Ad Hoc, Redd, French Laundry... Go to the wine store in the Marketplace next to Bottega. Great outdoor area for a glass of wine and friendly service. They even will open your bottle of champagne with a machiti! Fun video op!

Overall the hotel was beautiful. The courtyard area was a perfect spot to sit and have a glass of wine at night in front of the fireplace. The Redd Wood restaurant is literally in the hotel and they have great food.

Only reason for taking a star away is because we felt they were a bit snobby... We are in our late 20's and felt the average age was a bit older and because we were young we got a little attitude from the restaurant & hotel for being loud. It was pretty early too and the boys we were with got kicked out of the courtyard a few times... Of course they were being loud but for the price we paid they could have been a bit nicer & more understanding. I mean hello it's Napa and people drink wine all day. You kind of have to expect some rowdy hotel guests in your courtyard...

but besides that the hotel and hotel room were very nice. It is a place I would take my Mom, not my friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
san diego, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at the North block Hotel for 3 nights in late March. I had tried to book online and it came up fully booked, I gave them a call and they were able to move things around and accommodate us. We got a premium king with fireplace on the 2nd floor. My recommendation is the upper floor as the ground level patios are right in the common hotel areas with limited privacy. The room was a good size, nice flat screen, gas fireplace that gives out some decent heat. The bathroom is great, good size, double sinks, separate shower and bath tub. I loved the heated bathroom floors that other reviewers have mentioned, not sure if it was just our room, but the heating was a little patchy, there was no heat right under the sinks or the toilet. Not a big deal. They do need to switch toilet paper providers, ouch that tp was way too rough, better stuff in public bathrooms. Other than that no other complaints at all. The front desk was super helpful with wine tasting reservations, she also tried to move one of our dinner reservations. I highly recommend you make all dinner reservations ahead of time, super hard to get into some of these places (we went to Bouchon, Bottega, Jeanty's Bistro and Redd for lunch). Amazing restaurants, we walked down to Bouchon Bakery in the morning and got pastries etc. very fresh, good stuff, longish lines. Another morning we went across the street to Pacific Blues, great sit down breakfast spot. We walked around a few other hotels, had some drinks at Lucy's at the Bardessona (sp?), great place right behind Bouchon, would love to try that next time. I think its a little more expensive but has more rooms than North Block (which has about 20 I think). We did get some food from Redd Wood the pizza place attached to the hotel, and took it back to our room. We got the meat balls and barratta, amazing, would have loved to eat there too, just ran out of nights!

The pool was perfect too, we lucked out and had upper 60's weather and to to lay out both days, its nice as it's protected by high walls, they were playing music on the weekend. I went downstairs to check out the spa and it looked a little like a dungeon and was pretty smallish, so I passed on any treatments. Although I did check them out online and they had a great selection. The hotel is only about a 10 min walk max into town, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this quaint little hotel any time!

Room Tip: Upper rooms have the most privacy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelgirl056
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I go to Napa once or twice a year and we always stay at the North Block Hotel. We do so for several reasons : Perfect Location, Wonderful staff, food at the attached restaurant , Redd Wood, is very good. Plus I can take my small dog with me. We never consider staying anywhere else. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!
Charles and Gail Boswell

Room Tip: I have found all rooms very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

In the heart of Napa Valley. Great location with first class amentities. Walk to Bouchon for breakfast and bring it back to your own patio in the beautiful courtyard. You can also walk to several tasting rooms and its only mins from Rt 29 and all that Napa has to offer.

Room Tip: As for first floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Nortre Califonkneeonee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We got the PREMIUM KING with FIREPLACE. Nice gas fireplace, large double doors that open to private patio, luxury bathroom bigger than some cruise ship rooms and bed was great.

From other posts we thought the North Block Hotel was next to Redd but actually next to Redd Wood a Pizzeria of upper class. This Redd Wood only serves breakfast on weekends- so on week days 10 minutes stroll to Pacific Blues Cafe - good breakfast food reasonably priced in an area that makes Switzerland seem inexpensive . The North Bank only had coffee with a buttered biscuit with jam in lobby.

The very private entry is in the Tuscan Italy style. Wood burning fireplace in outside seating area. Nice pool and spa. It is about a 10 minute walk max to shops and such, but you get to pass the French Laundry and a large garden, Highway is nearby (but not next to hotel) as it is for most Washington Street hotels so some traffic noise, but when we shut the double doors it was very quiet. We actually left them open and enjoyed the fresh air.

We used the Redd Wood twice for snacks as we had late dinner reservations both nights, The Calamari with veggies is good and so is the pizza.

Long and short- may go again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,828 reviews

Been to North Block Hotel? Share your experiences!