“Perfect location to Fine Dining, Nice Accomodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of North Block Hotel

North Block Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect location to Fine Dining, Nice Accomodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The best location if you are interested in Fine Dining. Walking distance to all the best restaurants, Bottega, Bouchon, Ad Hoc, Redd, French Laundry... Go to the wine store in the Marketplace next to Bottega. Great outdoor area for a glass of wine and friendly service. They even will open your bottle of champagne with a machiti! Fun video op!

Overall the hotel was beautiful. The courtyard area was a perfect spot to sit and have a glass of wine at night in front of the fireplace. The Redd Wood restaurant is literally in the hotel and they have great food.

Only reason for taking a star away is because we felt they were a bit snobby... We are in our late 20's and felt the average age was a bit older and because we were young we got a little attitude from the restaurant & hotel for being loud. It was pretty early too and the boys we were with got kicked out of the courtyard a few times... Of course they were being loud but for the price we paid they could have been a bit nicer & more understanding. I mean hello it's Napa and people drink wine all day. You kind of have to expect some rowdy hotel guests in your courtyard...

but besides that the hotel and hotel room were very nice. It is a place I would take my Mom, not my friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
san diego, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at the North block Hotel for 3 nights in late March. I had tried to book online and it came up fully booked, I gave them a call and they were able to move things around and accommodate us. We got a premium king with fireplace on the 2nd floor. My recommendation is the upper floor as the ground level patios are right in the common hotel areas with limited privacy. The room was a good size, nice flat screen, gas fireplace that gives out some decent heat. The bathroom is great, good size, double sinks, separate shower and bath tub. I loved the heated bathroom floors that other reviewers have mentioned, not sure if it was just our room, but the heating was a little patchy, there was no heat right under the sinks or the toilet. Not a big deal. They do need to switch toilet paper providers, ouch that tp was way too rough, better stuff in public bathrooms. Other than that no other complaints at all. The front desk was super helpful with wine tasting reservations, she also tried to move one of our dinner reservations. I highly recommend you make all dinner reservations ahead of time, super hard to get into some of these places (we went to Bouchon, Bottega, Jeanty's Bistro and Redd for lunch). Amazing restaurants, we walked down to Bouchon Bakery in the morning and got pastries etc. very fresh, good stuff, longish lines. Another morning we went across the street to Pacific Blues, great sit down breakfast spot. We walked around a few other hotels, had some drinks at Lucy's at the Bardessona (sp?), great place right behind Bouchon, would love to try that next time. I think its a little more expensive but has more rooms than North Block (which has about 20 I think). We did get some food from Redd Wood the pizza place attached to the hotel, and took it back to our room. We got the meat balls and barratta, amazing, would have loved to eat there too, just ran out of nights!

The pool was perfect too, we lucked out and had upper 60's weather and to to lay out both days, its nice as it's protected by high walls, they were playing music on the weekend. I went downstairs to check out the spa and it looked a little like a dungeon and was pretty smallish, so I passed on any treatments. Although I did check them out online and they had a great selection. The hotel is only about a 10 min walk max into town, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this quaint little hotel any time!

Room Tip: Upper rooms have the most privacy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelgirl056
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I go to Napa once or twice a year and we always stay at the North Block Hotel. We do so for several reasons : Perfect Location, Wonderful staff, food at the attached restaurant , Redd Wood, is very good. Plus I can take my small dog with me. We never consider staying anywhere else. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!
Charles and Gail Boswell

Room Tip: I have found all rooms very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

In the heart of Napa Valley. Great location with first class amentities. Walk to Bouchon for breakfast and bring it back to your own patio in the beautiful courtyard. You can also walk to several tasting rooms and its only mins from Rt 29 and all that Napa has to offer.

Room Tip: As for first floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We got the PREMIUM KING with FIREPLACE. Nice gas fireplace, large double doors that open to private patio, luxury bathroom bigger than some cruise ship rooms and bed was great.

From other posts we thought the North Block Hotel was next to Redd but actually next to Redd Wood a Pizzeria of upper class. This Redd Wood only serves breakfast on weekends- so on week days 10 minutes stroll to Pacific Blues Cafe - good breakfast food reasonably priced in an area that makes Switzerland seem inexpensive . The North Bank only had coffee with a buttered biscuit with jam in lobby.

The very private entry is in the Tuscan Italy style. Wood burning fireplace in outside seating area. Nice pool and spa. It is about a 10 minute walk max to shops and such, but you get to pass the French Laundry and a large garden, Highway is nearby (but not next to hotel) as it is for most Washington Street hotels so some traffic noise, but when we shut the double doors it was very quiet. We actually left them open and enjoyed the fresh air.

We used the Redd Wood twice for snacks as we had late dinner reservations both nights, The Calamari with veggies is good and so is the pizza.

Long and short- may go again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for two nights - a group of 7 girls celebrating a stagette trip. We found the rooms clean, modern and well-appointed. The courtyard was incredible both in the day to enjoy some sunshine while drinking a coffee from Bouchon up the street and in the evening with a glass of wine by the fireplace. Excellent location, just a short walk from to all the restaurants. I'm not sure I'd consider staying any where else in Yauntville.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KD_lank
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Running away from a massive snowstorm in the NEast I was vulnerable, I admit, but the warmth of the staff at North Block was unexpected and consistent throughout my stay.

As this was my first visit to the area I relied on the direction of everyone at North Block for help; from the best taco truck to the most convenient hikes to a tasting at Ma(i)sonry, all perfect! They never tired of my questions and as I read the NYTimes in front of the fire in the lobby, with Pizmo the hotel's black lab at my side, I knew I was in heaven.

Our room was exceptional; heated bathroom floors, amazing shower and private balcony were the only things that made me want to leave the dreamy bed. I even purchased the North Block soap, shampoo and conditioner (created and produced locally) so I could recall my four days in paradise.

Of all the great hotel options I was very happy to have found North Block and will soon return.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Globalbanker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,897 reviews

Been to North Block Hotel? Share your experiences!