“Historic hotel is great for the money”

Napa Valley Railway Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Yountville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2007

I stayed at the Napa Valley Railway Inn with my sister for one night. We stayed in room 8, one of the three or four rooms (carriages) that have little turrets above the beds--very charming and also made the ceiling higher and the room lighter. The rooms are simply but plesantly decorated and the bathrooms more than adequate.

Traffic noise was minimal although our room faced the street. The occasional car or bus went by from around 6 or 7am, but hardly major traffic noise.

I had no problem with the lack of on site staff. The receptionist at the health club where we checked in was friendly and helpful. Bouchon (Thomas Keller's brasserie and bakery) is just across the street and was great for breakfast. The hotel is centrally located for all the restaurants--Redd, Bistro Jeanty etc. and was by far the cheapest hotel (other than motels and chains) that I could find in the area.

I am returning again with my husband next week for a couple of nights while we tour some of the wineries and try Ad Hoc, Keller's newer restaurant in Yountville.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank sunchaser576

Reviewed June 2, 2007

A very unique type of place. Was fun staying there for three nights. A bit pricy, but normal for the area. Not much personal attetntion (never saw any hotel staff), but none is really needed since we weren't in the room much. No phones-good and bad.

Train car was neat and clean, and kind of fun to stay in. If you are looking for a high activity, lot's of thrills, look elsewhere. If you are looking to sit back and relax, and have a comfortable place to sleep, this is the place!

You are going for Napa valley wineries, not to spend the entire time in the hotel! This is anice and relaxing place to end and start the day. No frills-just relaxing!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Napa Valley Railway Inn is really railway cars turned into a hotel room. Shot gun style but pretty good size. Comfortable enough but not for extended stays. Only book rooms away from the street. Great location within walking distance of shops & restaurants...Bouchon, Bistro Jeanty - awesome & Redd.

• Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank lscaldwell
Reviewed December 13, 2006

On the positive side the rooms were huge, and in a pretty good location for getting around the Napa area.

I agree with the reviewers who say it's a very low-maintinence property. We checked in at the gym and didn't see any staff the rest of our stay.

The TV's were ok, a bit small and very limited channels. Not even all the main network channels.

It was kind of loud too. There were loud trucks and busses around most of the time and the walls were pretty thin.

one little tip. They will tell you there is no wi-fi in the area but we found several connections that were pretty good.

Overall I think the rooms were pretty over-priced. The price was lower than many of the places in Napa you'll find on trip-advisor but I would have preffered to spend an extra few bucks to stay at someplace actually worth the bucks. Or maybe the many b&bs in the area are cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amanda_grimm
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Wow, when I first saw the Railway Inn I thought it would be a great and interesting way to spend our weekend in beautiful Yountville and stay in an an actual Railway Car. I was absolutely wrong.

There are 9 Train cars converted into private rooms (as seen on their website). Unfortunately the reservations lady conveniently forgot to tell us the room we had booked was not one of the 9 Train Car rooms. It was the "Station House Room" #10 which is not a Train Car at all but more like an attic. In fact it isn't even "on the Napa railroad tracks" as stated on their website. It is located at the end of the line...literally, right next to the room they store all their tools in (Just in case it is tool time).

No phones so bring your cell phone if you have any questions or concerns. The person who checked us in at the Fitness Center (which is attached to the mall that is attached to the train) was kind enough to stop her Cardio exercise to check us in, after feeling as though we were bothering her she was of no help with any information in or around Yountville, or even show us where the room was. She was obviously more concerned with her Heart rate rather than the $178 room rate we had paid.

"Flatscreen in every room" not this one. Didn't matter, the room only had 3 T.V. stations. Other "mode rn features" included a coffee maker that warmed up the coffee for 45 seconds and then turned off completely. Key word; warm, luke warm. Unlike the shower (no tub), the sign stated don’t turn on the sink or flush the toilet while using the shower. It will get extremely hot. Good thing they put a sign to warning us!

The Inn is convenient to downtown and plenty of parking too as it is crammed in between 2 mall parking lots. So I should give them at least 1 star for tons of available parking.

In short this place is more like a BOO HOO than a CHOO CHOO. Be fare, give people what you advertise.

I called to later notify them of feeling mislead and told them I didn't think it was fare to mis-represent their accomadations. Their response: "They thought it was fare."

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank railwahh
Reviewed November 2, 2006

Very Clean,large and comfortable rooms, great bathrooms, ours had a whirly spa thing as well. Over the raod from Bouchon, Bouchon bakery, and a short walk to the French Laundry and Redds. Take a break from the world and chill out at the Railway Inn at Yountville! Cheaper by a mile than anywhere else and what a bargain! Not the least bit hokey or tacky folks, take my word for it.

• Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank PeterZinc
Reviewed September 6, 2006

My fiancé and I booked a room at the Napa Valley Railway Inn for Labor Day weekend. I work at a museum, love history, and was looking forward to staying in such a unique place. The railcar room was lovely with nice décor and skylights, nice big bathroom with tub and a fridge. Not for light sleepers though – the large bay windows looking out to the outside “hallway” which is a deck with a roof can be loud when people are talking and walking through. The hotel is in walking distance of most things in Yountville. I enjoyed our stay very much and I would have rated the inn has very good or excellent if I had not encountered such poor customer service…

The Inn had no reception area/no service staff. When I arrived to check in I could only find a sign directing you to check in at the nearby fitness center. My experiences with the fitness center people were not pleasant. (But they don’t work for the Inn, so I couldn’t blame them totally for having to deal with everything.) I arrived to find out that I was staying in a room, not a car. I discovered there are 10 rooms, 9 of which are actual cars. When I made my reservation over the phone, they never told me any of this. Why would I book a room at the Railway Inn to stay in anything other than a railway car? We had a rental car and could have stayed elsewhere. The woman found out there was one railway car available for the first of the three nights I was staying there, but that was an additional charge. I had to ask the receptionist at the gym ask if I could have the railway car room for the same price because of their error. She had to make several phone calls and finally a manager called my cell phone and acted like they were doing me a huge favor by giving me a discount on the room. I was told by both women that the person that takes reservations over the phone is usually good about telling people that the 10th room is not a railway car. As if I was lying!

I was frustrated because I received no apology for the inconvenience or no one tried to rectify the situation or make it better. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. The woman at the gym treated me as if it was my fault that I didn’t know about the room and because I made the reservations so close to the date I should be lucky that I was given a room at all. She told me I would not have found another room in Yountville. That may have been the case, but I didn’t NEED to stay in Yountville. I was so furious that I asked to stay in the rail car for a night and would look for a room elsewhere. I was then told that there would be no refund.

So, we stayed in the railcar for the first night and the other room for the rest of the weekend. The other room was more bare-bones – just a shower – and in the 2nd floor of an adjoining building…not bad, but I could have stayed in a regular less expensive hotel room somewhere had I known.

Moral of the story: Expect no customer service. You are on your own. No phones in the room, no reception. Just a person at the gym. When you book, make sure you are in fact staying in a railway car.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple