“Perfect place”

Napa Valley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This place was amazing. The room spacious and with little details that made our stay very pleasant. The breakfast as also very good but only had American style coffee- It had also I gym. Although a bit expensive (specially over the weekend days) I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lola M
Mark S, Operations Manager at Napa Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Lola M,

We are happy you appreciated some of the finer details in our rooms, such as the Kuerig coffee machines, pillow menu, complimentary bottled water, local organic toiletry products, as well as some of our locally produced mini bar items. We look forward to your next visit!

There are newer reviews for Napa Valley Lodge

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night for some business meetings. It was a great environment to hold our off site meetings. All the staff were super friendly and the facilities were very clean. Great location and close to all in Napa. I would certainly return here for a Napa getaway.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rick A
Mark S, Operations Manager at Napa Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Rick A,

Thank you for your review. We certainly feel the Napa Valley Lodge is a great place to relax and stay whether you are visiting for business or vacation; we are happy to hear that you enjoyed us for the former, and will hopefully join us for the latter soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My friend and I checked in at 2PM after one day of arriving from Shanghai, China. The cookies and hot chocolate in the lobby were a great greeting and much warmer than the woman behind the desk. We both were exhausted with jet lag and in need of a warm bath and nap. I was told my room was not ready and wouldn't be guaranteed until 4:00. No other room was offered. My friend's room was ready so I hung out there for two hours waiting for the call from the front desk. So neither one got a nap since we're colleagues, not bedmates! (And there was no bath tub anyway.) I phoned to see if there was a room with a tub and was told no.

My colleague and I asked when breakfast was and were told it's 8 to 10, which likely works for most travelers on holiday. However, because we had a meeting the next two days at 8:30, we were hoping they would allow us to grab a quick bite at 7:45. The manager told us they have granola bars at the front desk and we could come ask for one. The workout room opens at 7, which also isn't early enough for us, so it's safe to say that if you're on a business trip, or you're an early riser, this might not be a good fit.

I had a headache and called to see if they had some ibuprofen or tylenol to which she told me, "Yes, but you need to pay $0.75." Ok, I'll get my three quarters ready. Really?

So I've only been here for three hours (one of which I got to be in my room) and I'm hoping things get better since we've got three days left to stay. The bed looks cozy and I'm hopping in now.

Perhaps after a rest this place will feel better and I'll happily edit this review if things start looking up since Napa is a place to relax and enjoy. Starting now.

Room Tip: upstairs and not facing the highway would be a good idea.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ann and Mark H
Reviewed November 29, 2013

If you are travelling for a few days to visit the region ,this hotel is ok .Rooms are clean and spacias.But like almost everywhere in the US no decent cupboard to put your clothes in .
Breakfast is not bad ,fruit and pastry's ok.We went one morning to Bouchon bakery ,furhter down the road,and bought some fresh croissants and bread ..Worth the walk and we were not the only guests who did so.In the evening you can go on foot from the hotel to almost all the restaurants.If to far there is a bell bus who will drive you and bring you back.Very convenient.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Due to the federal government furlough, I booked and rebooked our room a few times. Unfortunately, it appears they do not give any discount, like AAA, but they do offer a price guarantee so if you can find something cheaper than their website, good luck! I originally booked a King Junior Suite, but changed to the cheaper King room. I did notify the hotel my husband and I were celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary. I was surprised when I checked it, she said we could be staying in the Cabernet Suite. Walking into the room, I thought it must be some sort of mix up. This rooms was MUCH bigger than I expected. Thinking, "Whatever, if they messed up the reservation and gave me the King Junior Suite, oh well... I know I made things confusing for them by changing the reservation a few times." The room was awesome though. Very big. Beautiful fireplace. Not much of a view, but who cares, we were only there for one night. Awesome 2 person jacuzzi and nice size shower. With the room we also were delivered breakfast, which was perfect as well. When we arrived we also were given a free bottle of Cabernet with a card from the hotel saying Happy Anniversary. Our stay was perfect. When we checked out, I was pleasantly surprised we were not charged for the more expensive room, but the cheaper room. I'm assuming they must have upgraded us, free of charge. Needless to say, we will definitely be coming back. Amazing service and they gave us a very memorable last night for our anniversary vacation. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to look around Yountville, but we did visit the restaurant R&D Kitchen, which is literally right across the street. Food was ok, but dessert was AMAZING. Best hot fudge sundae I've ever had!

Room Tip: If you have the money, I would splurge on the Suite. I did notice a smell coming from the fireplace...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashlee7878
tmcgregor, General Manager at Napa Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Ashlee,
Thank you for all the nice comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and that we were able to make your anniversary celebration special. I am especially pleased that you will be coming back and thus, we will look forward to your return.
Best regards,
Tim

Reviewed November 19, 2013

First to give you some context, I am a VERY picky traveler and hard to please. We vacation a few times a year at high end hotels and I've been known to switch mid-trip if its not what I want to pay for.

My husband and I planned a very last minute trip to Napa, piggybacking on some business he had in Sacramento. NVL had one of the only available rooms left in Yountville due to Napa Valley Film Festival, late booking, etc. My expectations were tempered by the fact that I'd never heard of it prior to booking and I'd had my heart set on a few other places (Yountville Inn, Auberge de Soleil). I was SO pleasantly surprised. NVL is right at the end of Washington Street which is the "main drag" in Yountville. I use the term main drag VERY loosely as Yountville is a very quaint and upscale village and Washington St. is lined with tasting rooms, restaurants and inns. The walk from NVL to the center of things was a very pleasant 10 minutes during which you can stop and taste at many, many memorable spots. I've read some other reviews and its true that NVL is also very close to CA-29 but, we stayed in a park view room and had minimal noise from traffic. I also think this location is a plus b/c there are TONS of vineyards and restaurants right down Rt 29 and you're going to want easy access to them, esp if you don't have a car.

The room itself was exactly what we needed. Updated bathroom with glass shower, extremely comfortable beds and a nice patio. We might have wanted a tiny bit more bathroom space (bathtub/jacuzzi) if we were in a location where we'd be spending more time in the room but we were in it only to sleep and spent the majority of our time out and about.

NVL offers a free champagne brunch which, while the same everyday, is delicious and, again, exactly what we wanted. There were both hot and cold options, starbucks coffee and it was set up in a pretty fire placed room with an outside patio. We would have paid for it, without question.

NVL also has a really nice pool area with hot tub, courtyard with fire pit, bocci court and one spa treatment room. My husband found the water in pool/hot tub perfect for a swim in November weather of high 60-low 70s and we enjoyed our couples massage very much.

Insofar as the rest of our trip, we ate at Bistro Jeanty (terrible service and mediocre food), Etoile at Domaine Chandon (best culinary experience of our lives), Bouchon (fun brunch). We also went on a wine tour all day on Sat. with Platypus Tors and this was definitely the highlight of our trip. Steve was our wonderful driver/guide and we met some fun couples, went to four "boutique" vineyards, bought tons of great wine and had an absolute blast. Would do it again in a heartbeat. We also managed to squeeze in an estate tour and tasting at Stag's Leap on Sunday before our flight and it was amazing to see their facility as opposed to some of the smaller ones. So impressive---especially their wine caves.

I'm already thinking about another trip and would def stay at NVL again and will plan to do another tour with Platypus (this time to Sonoma) and will go on our own to some of the larger more "commercial" vineyards on a second day....I really think there's a lot to be said for both.

All in all, we spent a brief 48 hours in Napa but it was WELL worth the travel from Boston. Undoubtedly our best weekend trip ever.

Room Tip: The park view rooms were very pleasant and didn't seem to have much of a different view from the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Megan L
Tim M, General Manager at Napa Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Megan L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with others. It sounds like a fun, spontaneous trip…and you packed a lot in such a short time!
I am really pleased to hear that that we exceeded your expectations for your stay at the Lodge. Our team comes to work every day focused on how we can provide a good value and an excellent home base for our guests to experience this very special part of the world. Therefore, your review is very encouraging and we are hopeful that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Napa Valley.

Tim

Reviewed November 16, 2013

October, 2013: We asked for two quiet rooms with views. We were told one room had a partial view of the vineyard and the other a view of a park on the other side of the parking lot. We booked them. When we arrived the first room had no view but faced a wall. The second room faced a park, but the main highway ran right along the side of the property between the parking lot and the woods.. We were never told this. We refused to check in. We had made our reservation by phone and the rooms were described to us by a person at reception. The motel stated they would charge us anyway unless they could sell the rooms to someone else. Later that day a friend called to see if they had sold the rooms. She was told one room was left with a view of a park across the parking lot. Again the fact of the main highway was left out. The motel charged my credit card for both rooms that day. It then put through a credit for one of the rooms that it rented. I had to call my credit card company to backcharge the motel for the second room which it did. We went into Napa and the Tourist Bureau found us better far accomodations at much less per night.

Room Tip: This property is along the main highway. The photos that we saw do not show the highway.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Owen K
Mark S, Operations Manager at Napa Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Owen K,

The night prior to your arrival you called and booked the last two rooms available at our property with our Guest Services Manager. At the time of booking you were informed that these rooms were non-cancellable and that if you did cancel you would be responsible for all night’s room and taxes. The top floor Park View Double Queen you booked is on the completely opposite side of the property from the main highway and the King with Fireplace was explained to you as a “No View” room that faces the wall of our Vintage Hall breakfast area. Had we not been holding these rooms for you we could have sold them to other guests that called and requested rooms. Fortunately, we were able to re-sell one of the rooms after you decided not to stay with us, and we provided you with a credit towards your late cancellation charges.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#4 of 30 in Napa
North Block Hotel
North Block Hotel
#4 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Napa Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!