“The Worst Experience I've ever had in a Hotel/Motel”

Maison Fleurie - A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Yountville B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 19, 2013

So, I used to stay at the $60/night Travelodge on Market St in San Francisco. Between that place and Maison Fleurie, you'd get a better night's sleep staying at the cheapest hotel in SF (on its busiest street) than at Maison Fleurie. (And better customer service, and more privacy, internet that works, etc etc.)

I was hoping for a really nice trip b/c it was my birthday. We stayed there on Thursday night, April 4th.

Where do I start?

-- There is loud banging throughout the night, b/c it is *right behind* the trash and *right on* the street with large trucks and has very thin walls/windows. Both my boyfriend and I (we are both sound sleepers) were simply unable to sleep. We thought the noises would end at some time, but it woke me up at 1am, 3am, and 5:30am, as well as didn't let me generally sleep any other time -- it's endless and throughout the night. (garbage trucks backing up and beeping; bottles crashing from emptying tons of wine bottles into recycling bins; large agricultural trucks barreling down the main street; etc). In the morning we actually *still* saw the garbage truck going up and down the street - very odd - but the bottom line is you will not be able to sleep through it.

- Even if you were able to sleep through the noise, you will be in pain when you wake up. The mattress is way too soft. I was trying not to complain to my boyfriend, b/c I have a pinched nerve in my back so I am sensitive to bad beds, but he woke up in pain as well and said he hated the bed and couldn't wait to go home so we could get a good night's sleep.

- I wish I had taken a picture of the pool, but basically don't be fooled that they have a pool. It's super-dirty and they seem to have made an attempt to clean it as there were some cleaning instruments in it but they clearly hadn't been used in a long, long while. The pool was important to us as I have that pinched nerve in my back and so have been swimming to recoup (otherwise i have to get an epidural shot) and we chose a hotel based on which had a pool. So an unswimmable pool = not ok.

- We had to wake up at 6am b/c we were to go on a hot air balloon ride. If you want to be in a good mood the next day, don't stay here. They ended up cancelling the hot air balloon ride b/c of bad weather -- I was so happy b/c my back was in pain from the bad mattress and no sleep and my BF was in a bad mood too b/c sleep is really important to him so we ended up just trying to salvage the birthday trip.

- So, if you don't want to get in a fight with your husband/wife/partner, don't go here. If you want to be in a good mood the next day, don't go here.

- Do you like privacy when you're in your hotel room? Sucks for you! The curtains basically don't shut all the way. You can see in the hotel rooms from the outside. Hopefully you are already at the stage in your relationship where you and your husband/wife/partner sleep in two separate beds, b/c otherwise you will be uncomfortable in this hotel room (and possibly committing unwitting unlawful exposure if you change clothes).

- We told them about how it was impossible to sleep. (Another customer was near us when we said this; they agreed and also exclaimed to the front desk how hard it was to sleep and how the noise was constant and loud). The response? "Oh sometimes it's loud! lol, sorry."

- We asked for a late checkout as we got no sleep, had to wake up at 6am for the balloon ride, and really wanted to try to salvage some sleep if at all possible. We couldn't handle driving back a few hours while so groggy and grumpy. Checkout is at 12pm. Check-in for others is at 3pm. Would they let us check out at 1pm instead? No way. I guess it takes longer than 2 hours to clean the rooms. I've never actually been told "no" to late check-out from any hotel before.

- At *literally* 12:01pm, there is a knock on our door. Being like "Hi, it's 12pm, please leave!"

- Oh yeah: when I called the after-hours line to get the wireless password for the internet (I had some work to do) --- they told me the wrong internet password. (it's *not* abcde12345. What is it? Good luck!)

- When you do connect to the internet, it is SUPER-slow. I tried to attach a 1M file to my email, and it took more than 5 minutes to send. Sites will not load b/c your browser will think you're not connected to the internet. My bf and I were like "are you online?" "i don't know. are you online?" "i don't think so" "oh wait! i just got something". ETC.

There are probably more bad things about this place but I've wasted enough of my time/life on it.

- Oh wait: the fireplace in our room initially didn't work so when we got there we were really excited to open the "celebration package" we had ordered from them (champagne, chocolates) but instead we had to call the hotel people into our room to try to fix it. (It did eventually work).

- My poor bf now probably feels like I hated my bday - which I didn't, I loved spending time with him - .NO MORE SPACE

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gina M, General Manager at Maison Fleurie - A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

I am so sorry that Maison Fleurie did not meet your expectations. Birthdays are special occasions and we know how important they are to our guests. We absolutely strive to provide an inviting environment that leaves guests feeling refreshed and with fond memories of their trip. I am so very sorry this was not the case during your stay and I thank you very much for taking the time to bring the inconveniences you experienced to our attention. It is very important to us to make it up to you and hope to discuss further. I am not sure if you received the voicemail I left for you a couple weeks ago but please call me at your earliest convenience at Maison Fleurie (800-788-0369). While I cannot atone for the disappointment you experienced during your last trip, I hope that I can make it up to you. Sincerely, Gina Massolo, Regional Manager

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent the last night of a surprise weekend for my husband's 60th birthday. What a great way to end our weekend! Maison Fleurie is what I would picture a Country French Inn to be. We stayed in room #3 which was a small queen room. It was well decorated and furnished to accommodate the size of room. The breakfast was excellent with many choices including hot baked eggs dishes, fruit varieties. baked goods, juices, coffee & tea. The breakfast room had a cozy fire and a variety of seating available as well. We will definitely return and have already told our friends about our wonderful "find".

Room Tip: If you don't mind a smaller room, the petite queen rooms are an excellent value, cozy with taste...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were in Room 13 which is in a separate building, this meant that our room was very quiet as only one other room bordered it. The hotel is attractive and well kept. The staff is mostly efficient and friendly (some of the night staff was not as friendly). The breakfasts were great 2 out of 3 mornings. On our last morning the egg dish was undercooked. Location is wonderful and the combination of a small parking lot and street parking meant that parking was easy and nearby.

Some friends had ordered champagne and a cheese plate which was excellent. The hot tub was nice break at the end of the day.

My only real complaint is the strange way that the hotel present their bills when you have received a discount (my bill had listed a number of items I did not purchase but in the end these added up to the amount that I was quoted and agreed to when I booked).

Room Tip: I would select room 13 again. As I said in my review it is in an out building and is featured in ma...
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This place is a great little BB! The first night we stayed at the Bakery suite which had an amazing fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Very romantic. Our second night we stayed at a petit queen room. It was much smaller but still charming and cute. The breakfast was AWESOME! Great homemade breakfast and none of that processed stuff that is offered by the bigger chains. Great homemade quiche and baked goods. The wine and cheese hour was great too.
The best part was the service. The inn keepers were so friendly from taking our reservation over the phone last minute to checking us out. Overall, I would definitely stay at a 4 sisters inn again. They seem to really care about their guest.
Tip: If booking last minute call to ask for Carpe Diem special. Great deals considering how expensive Napa is.

Room Tip: Try the Bakery Suite!
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed just one night at Maison Fleurie, but I didn't want to leave! Not only were we not finished exploring the Napa Valley, but the inn is so inviting and comfortable. The afternoon wine and cheese spread is amazing - the day we were there a local winery was tasting their products (but with no pressure to buy anything). The array of cheeses was impressive. Breakfast the next morning was lovely too - with the most amazing crustless quiche I have every tasted. We stayed in room 7 - it was quite spacious and spotlessly clean. The large window seat was perfect for storing our luggage. Next time we are in the Napa Valley (and there will be a next time!!) we will stay at Maison Fleurie again. Highly recommended

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was the second time my husband and I have stayed at Maison Fleurie and enjoyed both, This sweet B&B in smack in the middle of Yountville and extremely easy walking distance to any where in Yountville and centrally located for the wine country by car. As a special treat to ourselves, we ordered breakfast in bed and it was wonderful and filling. We love only 45 minutes away from the wine country but that 45 minutes is like hours away from home so if we think we could use a little R&R that's where we head for. Oh, our dinner at Hurley's was devine and try the Wild Boar.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I love this B&B. I have stayed about 3 times and each time is wonderful. The rooms are clean and comfortable and very nice if you get a fireplace one. You can use their bikes to ride around beautiful Yountville and the breakfasts are fabulous. I also love the wine and cheese hour and the employees are very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple