“Hidden treasure discovered”
Review of Filoli

Filoli
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Woodside
More attraction details
Owner description: Recognized as one of the finest remaining country estates of the early 20th century, Filoli welcomes the public to this remarkable 654-acre property. Designed between 1915 and 1917 and set against the dramatic backdrop of the northern Santa Cruz mountains in Woodside, California, Filoli is an excellent example of the Golden Age of American garden design and country house architecture. Opened to the public in 1976 as a site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Filoli features a 36,000 sq. Ft. Home and a 16-acre English Renaissance Garden. In addition, Filoli's property includes a 6.8 Acre Gentlemen's Heritage Orchard and a trail system that transverses five different ecosystems for docent-guided nature hikes. Filoli is dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and stewardship of the cultural traditions and natural history of this country estate for public education and enjoyment.
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I had a Eureka moment when I discovered Filoli which not knowing for so long. We could not wait to visit her on Father's Day. It was gorgeous weather and Filoli was magnificant and gorgeous. Wandering throughout its vast garden and botanical garden we enjoyed so much every moment of staying there. This is a treasure hidden and embedded inside Santa Cruz mountains. The nearby Crystal Spring Lake was closed due to the cyclist event otherwise we loved to visit there as well. It is very beautiful and tranquil place, everything should go visit her!

There are newer reviews for Filoli

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I live on the Central Coast and had heard about Filoli probably 10 or 15 years ago. I wanted to go but as with things in your "own backyard" you just don't get around to seeing.. Then Groupon made it easy with a coupon. I treated my 2 traveling companions to admission and we were able to get into the 10:00 tour.

I found the tour in the Mansion interesting and absolutely loved the gardens!

Our tour guide "Francine" was fabulous. The only criticism is that the tour allows 16 people and unless you were up in the very front, it was difficult to hear her.

There is a nice gift shop that sells gifts and plants. Also there is a cafe that is very cute.

My traveling companions did not want to continue to look around. I look forward to returning next April/May when the wisteria is in bloom and I can go on a selfguided tour and my own pace.

In historical context, interesting to see how 2 different wealthy San Francisco families lived.

1  Thank labonvoyer
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Wandering through the gardens is a wonderful way to relax for a few hours. The house is spectacular too. Allow plenty of time so you don't have to rush. If your feet get tired, take a break in the cafe; sit outside if you can.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I so enjoy Filoli, and am due for another visit, it is so beautiful at different times of the year, because there's always something new blooming. March is wonderful because of the Whysteria ! I will be back asap !

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I must admit that I have been spoiled by growing up back east near Longwood Gardens which has more features than you could possibly see in a day. So Filoli falls a little short in comparison. The formal gardens are lovely and it is one of the few places in the Bay Area where lilacs actually bloom and smell like lilacs.

1  Thank Marina R