“Very clean, but lots of deferred maintenance”
Review of Valley Oaks Inn

Valley Oaks Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Woodland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We enjoyed talking with the manager, Yogi, who checked us in and helped us with problems with our keys (we had reservations for three nights, but we had to get a new key each day). Out room was immaculate, the mattress was firm and comfy. The fridge worked and was quiet. But the furniture was very worn, the carpet and bathroom floors felt "sticky" as if too much cleaning fluid had been used. Its location is between the freeway and the access ramp, but we heard very little road noise in the room. (Our room was on the access ramp side, which I am sure helped.) There is no coffee in the room, but the lobby/breakfast area had coffee by 5:30 am each day. The breakfast offering was the smallest I have ever seen, but the coffee was hot and fresh. No good place to walk the dog, but there is a great dog park in Woodland which we used several times.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kss740

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Booked through Expedia and had a hard time with all involved . I was super specific about what was required as my husband and I were traveling with my 88 year old mother. I was told that Expedia called the motel and they had a walk in shower and 2 queen beds. When we arrived they said I never asked for queen beds or told them it was for 3 people, I really resented being accused of lying. I have the confirmation email with my exact request. Bad deal all around. We got a better room with what we needed at the Shadow Inn Best Western for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank abcmeeks
Reviewed February 18, 2013

If your on the road and your looking for a comfortable, clean and quiet place to stop near Woodland, Ca. this definetly the place to make your stop. Reasonably priced, with the nicest front office staff. Light breakfast from 6am to 9am. What was a plus was they allow dogs and when your traveling it's very difficult to find a clean hoel that allows pet's. I will always stop at this gracious hotle when I'm in there area. Thank you fro your great service

Room Tip: My room was in the back so very quiet;but think rooms on the north side would be much quieter. No co...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Judith T
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Our family was traveling home from L.A. and when we were dog tired we could not find a hotel around Sacramento and Woodland that had availability. A gentleman at one of the spendy hotels referred us here. The owners were so kind,and polite. When we arrived they had already went to our room to turn on the AC so it was cool when we got in. They even offered to keep the pool open longer if we wanted to take a quick swim before going to bed, which after being in a car with 4 kids for 9 hours was wonderful. The grounds and room were very clean and comfortable. Yes, the rooms are old, and our shower broke and we had to switch rooms, the sheets on one of the beds was worn out and would not stay in place, but other than that it was a better room than more expensive chains we've stayed at. The continental breakfast is all processed carbs, so some fresh fruit choices and real o.j. would be a welcome addition. We will definately stay there again when traveling to L.A.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an "inside" room. The rooms facing freeway can be a little too noisy. T...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Morgana R
Reviewed July 12, 2012

this inn is clean comfortable, but basic, enjoyed our 2 night stay and the pool.the service was real good. this inn has washer and dryer for our use.we will stay here again if in the are

Room Tip: there are several restaurants in the area on main st.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ODD71
Reviewed May 8, 2012

To be brief, a wonderful place to stay. We go to a equine event every year in woodland, and have been unhappy with the hotels in our price range. the Valley Oaks Inn was heads above the rest IMO... nice quiet clean spacious rooms (three women easily got ready thanks to the extra mirror and table outside of the bathroom), that are cleaned every day (something we have found lacking in the rest), Friendly staff who willingly started coffee early for us, since we had to be at the event before the breakfast was supposed to be ready. and to cap our experience off, a warm spa to relax tired muscles after a long day of "playing" We will be staying again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amie E
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I like to be fair in my reviews and based on previous reviews on Tripadvisor I picked this motel for a nights stay to get to the Sacramento Intl Airport for an early morning flight with my children. The manager or owner was very polite and efficient. The room however was not what I assumed it might be, basic yes but unsafe no. Recently painted and newer carpet. Freezing cold when we stepped in. It seemed generally clean but devoid. Stains on the one bedspread, flimsy sheets, and some towels that looked like they should have been tossed. Rust in the bathroom sink and a mishmosh of lightbulbs in the vanity lighting. A well needed new shower curtian would have helped. The room telephone was gross, there were food crumbs in the heating/air unit and the vents looked dirty. The unit when turning off make a horrible clunking sound when shutting down and woke everyone up every cycle.The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of safe lighting in the parking lot and stairwell to the second floor. The stairwell was completely dark with no lights at all. One of my children almost fell. No secondary security lock on the door. The nosie from the freeway was minimal. I fail to see some of the reviews that claim this is better than basic. We should have just asked for a refund and moved somewhere else but we were tired and basically needed a few hours of sleep before we had to leave so rather than hassle we stayed in an overpriced 75$ room. I was sorry I did not have a camera.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family