“Yuck!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wofford Heights
Livonia, Michigan
“Yuck!”
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed at the Lakshore Lodge, affiliated with Barewood Inn & Suites in Wofford Heights CA. (All part of The Kern River Valley Motels". These were the only accommodations we could find available in the area for five people, so we didn't have much choice. But we would NEVER stay here again.

We had adjoining rooms, #23 with 2 queens and number 24 with 1 king. The rooms were large, which was nice. They were decorated in a homey fashion, but actually TOO homey.

There were HOLES IN OUR BED SHEETS. The mattress had a "dip" in the middle that my husband and I kept rolling into.

There were 3 or 4 different kinds of towels in the bathroom. Two green ones, of completely different shades and some mismatched white ones. A green one had bleach spots all over it.

The rooms were VERY DIRTY! It was quite obvious the floors had not been swept in quite awhile, after seeing all the dust, crumbs, small pieces of candy, etc. There were cobwebs in various places, including on the artwork. And one large one in the corner that had dead bugs in it. Not very inviting. No sweeping and no dusting didn't leave us feeling very confident as to the cleanliness of the rest of the room.

There were dead bugs on the windowsill in the bathroom. The nice "spa" tub that I had been looking forward to looked dirty, and had quite a bit of hair and dead bugs in it. Needless to say we didn't use it. There was no shower in this room, but thankfully our kid's adjoining room had a shower in it, which wasn't very clean either.

We didn't have much choice but to make the best of this situation, but we would never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Motown-Kim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lancaster, CA
Reviewed September 14, 2008

We actually stayed at the Lakeshore Lodge which is associated with the Barewood Motel. The lodge is a short drive back towards Kernville. Although the management is not at the location we had a great stay. The room is clean and nicely kept. Refridgerator, microwave and coffee maker. What a nice surprise. Good view, quiet and very comfortable. The only thing I would like to see them add is a cleaning table for us fishermen. My son and I went up for a fishing weekend and as usual the fishing was great. Other than that - I will be sure to stay here again.

• Liked — Quiet, Nice view
  • Disliked — No cleaning table for fishermen
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PeteLancaster
London
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Our room was nice with a small kitchen area with table, small fridge, toaster and microwave, no dishes though so if you did microwave or toast something there was no where to put it!!

The bed dipped a bit but generally it was nice, staff frienldly. I'd stay again if visiting

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dip in bed
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed April 19, 2004

Stayed here 4/04, and the room was large and the accomodations were pretty nice, but I wouldn't stay there again if one of the better area lodgings were available. The rooms are spacious and pretty clean, and have a dorm-size fridge and microwave. The property is well-maintained with a picnic table and playground, but no pool. Some defects were holes in the sheets, a toilet seat with pealing paint, and a moldy shower curtain hung 5" too far into the tub which stuck to you.My main complaint was that the manager's residence had at least 3 (maybe more) barking dogs that were outside 24 hrs./day right behind most of the rooms. If you wanted to get ice - look out, they were out to attack, and you'd better hope that gate holds up. When checking in, I asked the desk clerk about the barking dogs (that could clearly be heard incessantly barking from the office), and she got very perturbed (might have been her dogs). Ironically, after I checked out I read in the local paper how they recently strengthened their barking dog ordinance. If you stay here, and the dogs are outside your window, call the sheriff.Otherwise, you could see the lake from the porch and even though the road out front was pretty busy during the day, it was quiet at night. You have to drive about 15 minutes to get to resteraunts, stores, etc. since it is not actually in Kernville (whereas most of the other area motels are in town).The other problem I had is that the office is staffed only infrequently. When I wanted to check out and get a receipt, I had to call the mananager's residence. I was told the office is not staffed until 9AM, and they would send my receipt in the mail. That was good news for the neighboring guests who snuck in dogs and extra guests - no chance of getting caught if you wake up on time.The property has been for sale for at least the past 6 months. Perhaps if they get new management, it would may greatly improved.

20 Thank Ostara864
Mount-N-Lake Motel
Mount-N-Lake Motel
#2 of 2 in Wofford Heights
Lake Isabella / Kern River KOA

Been to Barewood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!