“Wow! What a trip”

Santa Barbara, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow! What a trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I meant to post this last summer when we did the two day Lower Kern rafting trip with KRO, but it slipped my mind…then I received their newsletter and was like “oh yeah, I need to give them a shout out on TA!” So here I am. Anyway, the trip was ABSOLUTELY. PHENOMENAL.

Our guide Kristin was amazing. Knowledge, funny, and a real pro. We felt safe the whole time. The river was exciting. There are so many class fours and threes you are always wondering what’s around the bend.

The food….was to die for. The lunches, dinner, real dutch oven cooking!

The camping, if you could call it that, was first class. The extra thick camp pads (I think that’s what they’re called) were very comfortable. The stars were spectacular. Coming from LA, I never get to see the stars that often, and oh my gosh, they blew me away. Not only that, but in terms of location, Kern River Outfitters has the best campsite because it is situated exactly halfway into the trip. Compare this to the other guys who are further upstream, giving their two day trips a short first day and a loooonnnngggg second day. (Yikes for lower water years.)

I highly recommend this outfit. They have it all together. The staff, their rafting headquarters, their camp, the food, it blew me away with the amount of organization that they have perfected. Looking forward to next summer! Bring on the rapids!

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Brian H

Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I rate Kern River at the top of the charts. This place is professional and absolutely excellent. To be completely honest, this is the first time I have ever reviewed anything (restaurant, hotel, etc.) With that preface, the fact that I am writing a review should speak for itself. In case it doesn't, then I want to make sure that everyone who is considering a rafting trip check this place out. The raft guides are super nice, helpful, and congenial. The trip is very well organized and they pay meticulous attention to the safety of all those on the trip. If you are considering rafting there is no greater place.

Also, may sure you get the pictures at the end. In general, I usually don't purchase the professional pictures at the end of trips. I usually take a lot of my own and that is usually sufficient to spark nostalgia. However, this year I wanted to incorporate the pictures into a Valentine's Day gift. Ms. Mary Papale, with the assistance of others, worked tirelessly to find my pictures among the tens of thousands of pictures they have and they mailed the CD to me priority mail, just in time for Valentine's Day. It was a mix of an incredible work ethic and a touch of serendipity.

Thanks Kern River Outfitters for an amazing trip. Extra special thanks to Ms. Mary Papale!!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Camtagious
MrsZiggy
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“GREAT group!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I posted this as a forum post in June of 2009 when we went, but I wanted to post it here since there wasn't a company page at the time!

We went on the 2 day rafting trip with Kern River Outfitters and LOOOOVED it. We are planning a larger group trip next year as well as joining for at least one of the wine/beer trips too. The rafting was fun and excited, the guides were friendly and funny, and the camping was the best ever. We woke up with an amazing view overlooking the river and hot coffee waiting for us. The food was amazing and we wouldn't have traded that weekend for anything. We HIGHLY recommend them!!

Visited June 2012
Southern California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great fun with a professional outfit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Went with them twice already, one each on the upper and lower Kern River in July 2011. They are a professional outfit, which means that they'll require you to pass a swim test (in PFD - personal flotation device) before they allow you on the class V Thunder Run of the upper Kern. That was one of the best runs I've taken, almost all IV/V's. Don't worry, there are other runs on the Kern that are not as challenging for those who may be nervous. The scenery on the river was OK, but the experience was a blast. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2012
Riverside, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“EVERYTHING was great....except the Kern River!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Okay, it's not that the Kern River was bad or dirty or anything. Our half day trip was on Aug 4 2012 and that was sorta late in the season, which means the water flows were lower than earlier in the season. The rafting companies have nothing to do with that, they just have to deal with it. And deal with it they did. Guides were nice, competent and fun. I'm not saying runnning the river wasn't fun, but since I had been rafting a couple of time before I realized that the duration and intensity of the rapids wasnt quite as exciting as it had been before. The guides NEVER mentioned it (they might have been bored as hell with the easiness of the trip but you would NEVER had been able to guess it from the way they talked and acted) and so if it was your first time you wouldnt even had know anything about that. But again, not their fault and it was a BLAST anyway. Several of our group of 7 had never been rafting before and everyone loved it.

I was also slightly surprised by the pricing in the store they run and where you meet for your trips. I thought the prices were VERY reasonable. Sunglasses, and other necessities you need for the trip and if you forgot them could be bought reasonably. They got you by the short hairs there but they don't really take advantage of it. All very nice people working for this rafting company all around.

Visited August 2012