“To much traffic noise!”

Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Pick somewhere else otherwise the traffic noise is unbearable 24 hours a day!

• Stayed: November 2011
HIEinWindsor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Oh no.. I am going to guess you ended up in one of the end rooms. Unfortunately there are a few rooms that are closer to the highway and as a result can be less than tranquil on nights it's busy out. As a rule we always try to fill up the rooms furthest away from the highway and work our way down the arms of the building. Please feel free to contact me here at the hotel. I would like to take a moment of your time and hear about your experience and we can go from there. Just ask for Michelle. Cheers.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

we were in windsor for 5 nites for a triathlon. I was amazed at the staff at the hotel supporting us in anyway they could. also the hot breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveCalgary
HIEinWindsor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thanks for the review on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We love being engaged with what our guests are here doing. It makes for better service and, well, frankly it adds interest for the staff and turns work into play. (Which I am all for!) We are so blessed to be in a position to get paid for being a part of so many good times and once in a life time moments with people. Thanks for letting us be a part of one of yours!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

2 couples just spent 3 days at the Holiday Inn Express Windsor. The hotel was spotless and had some good amenities, including a pool (outdoor, not heated), hot tub & sauna, free parking and Wi-Fi and a better-than-usual included breakfast, with nice touches like eggs, sausage links & patties and cinnamon rolls. One negative is the outdated tube TV in an older armoire. The hotel is about 3 blocks from "downtown" Windsor, with restaurants, shops and a great pub (Patterson's). We paid a few extra dollars for the king room with a balcony, which I highly recommend. The balcony was covered and very private. We spent a lot of time out there with our friends. We were lucky to have summerlike weather in late October and found this hotel was a good base for visiting the entire Sonoma Valley.

Room Tip: Definitely get the room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks for staying with us! Our Balcony suites really are quite nice, thanks for pointing that out. A LOT of regular guests swear by them as well. It is nice to be able to enjoy this great California weather right off your guest room. I'll pass along your compliment to our housekeeping supervisor as well. As I've always said she is easily the hardest working person on our staff. When she isn't performing her standard duties she is sure to be found in some remote corner with a toothbrush. So truly, thank you for noticing the passion our housekeeping department brings each day, I believe it shows too!

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Booked online for our Saturday and Sunday night stay for my mother and I. Went to visit an aunt that lives just down the road. Booked under my mother's name as she was able to get the senior discount. We specifically requested to be placed in the back of the hotel so no road traffic would disturb us, as the hotel is facing the 101. We are both typically light sleepers.

Was greeted by friendly staff, and quickly went to our room on the 2nd floor just down the hall from the elevator. The room overlooked the pool, which we were unable to use due to the cool weather. Our room was very clean and very spacious, and the bathroom had plenty of counter space for us each to set out our personal items. We had double beds and each of us slept like babies. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. We enjoyed the hot tub in the evenings after long days of walking/shopping/sightseeing. In the mornings we had delicious full breakfasts prior to starting out.

Definitely check out the shops and restaurants in both Windsor and Healdsburg, as they are both well worth the trip.

Parking was in a gated lot. We will definitely stay there again on our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank hctravelers
HIEinWindsor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thanks for the great Trip Advisor score! Sounds like you fully embraced your trip to Sonoma County. It was a privileged to be a part of your great memories. Hope you come back soon and make more!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stay for one night, nice and friendly check inn with good touristic information. Conviniant for visiting Sonoma and northerm wineries, russian river side, guenerville, Amstrong Forest, near nice restaurant in Santa Rosa, Josh and Ash winery
CLean room, confortable bed ( i know these is kind of personnal)
Didn't eat in the hotel, perfect for visiting around, and eat, enjoy scenery of Sonoma Valley

1  Thank Claudia_QTZ

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us! You definitely highlighted some of the reasons I had to make Sonoma County my home. Windsor really is the perfect family friendly jumping off point for all things Northern California. With the views, wineries, eclectic art and creative feel you really would have to live here a while to see it all! For those not ready to make that commitment catch me or any of our Service Representatives running the desk for a great list of area highlights within your time budget!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Ordinarily I love Holiday Inn Express hotels but these beds are the worst, hard and very uncomfortable.
Everything else was fine - the usual room, comfortable, nicely appointed but the beds really detract. The desk clerk that checked us in was very helpful and allowed us to change rooms as the first one she put us in faced the freeway.
Not unique to them but why can't these chains use biodegradable items in their breakfast rooms; the products are available, hardly more expensive and would save us and the environment from the contamination of all of this styrofoam.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Hey thank you so much for the candid review. As you can imagine our hotel has gotten similar feedback and as a result we actually have purchased all new double sided plush beds for our guest rooms. As of December 2011 our rooms have been upgraded. I've uploaded a photo here if you would like to take a look, more to come. As for biodegradable dishware we couldn't agree more... We actually went a step further and purchased real plates, bowls, cups and silverware for our breakfast bar. It's my understanding we are the first HIE to do so and it has actually worked out so well I don't doubt many others will follow suit in the years to come. Naturally we still have to provide the disposable stuff as an option for guests that want it.. but that change alone has drastically cut this hotel's carbon foot print and instead of biodegradable trash we have next to none at all. Most guests truly appreciate the benefit of eating on real stoneware. If you're ever traveling in Windsor again I do hope you'll give us a second chance. Constructive feedback is always welcome here and we do our best to listen and accommodate what guests like yourself have to say. Oh, and should you have an opportunity to come back I hope you will continue to be candid about what we can do to provide you with your best hotel experience. Truly I thank you.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding. This hotel did not seem as fresh as many HIExpress that we have stayed in. The mattress was thin and lumpy. The bathroom sink did not drain properly. The wireless internet worked intermittently. The room was not clean around the baseboards. The bathroom was small. However, the breakfast room was nice and the there was a large selection. I would not book this hotel again.

1  Thank Mmarymomm

"First three, then the multitude" it's a quote from a book I read once and I think it applies here in a way. You're going along minding your own business and suddenly something isn't quite the way it should be.. but you ignore it. Then something else comes up.. and you try to ignore that too... by the third issue you're seeing every negative detail. I'm right there with you about the beds, happily they have all been replaced as of December 2011. As to the internet per Holiday Inn Express Standards we actually have 2 internet providers in the event one should fail there is a back up service for our guests. And naturally a tech support number as well. Presently, our hotel has 3 times the standard Holiday Inn Express bandwidth. We recently discovered our device had issues with apple products and the equipment was upgraded.. I wonder if that might have been the issue. I regret that your stay went in that direction and left you unsatisfied with your stay. I hope you understand the slow drain and lack of attention to the baseboards is unacceptable and not at all indicative of the rooms we provide by and large on a daily basis. I sincerely hope you will consider giving our property another chance all the same.. and if you would be that gracious please be sure to let me know you're coming. I'd want to personally make sure everything is perfect.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country
Best Western Dry Creek Inn
Holiday Inn Windsor - Wine Country
9 mi away
Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine Country
Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County? Share your experiences!