“A staff that needs sensitivity training”

Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Windsor, California
“A staff that needs sensitivity training”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Paid 4 family over weekend. Nightmare. Stay filled w/arrogance. Complaint: Room smells smoke, NO TUB, noisy gym. The stay terrible. Left 4 another. I called & told I'm inappropriate &" nasty" 4 times.

Room Tip: Fountain Grove Inn in Santa Rosa is half the price and comparable to better.
4 Thank JoDiazWineBlog
GMSatterfield, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
This person did not make the reservation, pay for the room or even visit the hotel! Suite booked for this person's daughter was a handicap suite with a roll-in shower - the only room left in the hotel, so of course it didn't have a tub. We did our best to accommodate her daughter, but could not so suggested that they quickly find another hotel that could meet their needs - as the area's hotels were filling up quickly. All efforts met with nastiness! Too bad - we love to make guest's happy, but couldn't here!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed August 4, 2014

After a less than satisfactory visit two weeks prior, we alerted the staff we would be back to stay on their property due to the flooding crisis my parents were experiencing at their home. While the previous visit was more annoying than unpleasant, we thought we would give them another shot since they promised to make us comfortable during this past visit. The previous visit consisted of the Hampton Inn in Windsor not being able to accommodate our request of adjoining rooms, and they were "at capacity" so when our room became the receiving end of romper room above us, they couldn't relocate us. As hard as it was to relax on that trip, we were told they would "take care of us" during our next stay. Fast forward to last Wednesday, we arrive and are harshly greeted because there was a mixup on arrival dates. They thought we were to arrive on Tuesday the 29th, not Wednesday the 30th. Really shouldn't have been a cold reception because they just charged the card on file and got their money, right? So next question, is our room on the third floor, per our request from our last stay? NO. Face falls in disappointment. Can we have a third floor room then? NO. There are no rooms available tonight, yours is the last available room. We can move you tomorrow, if the room doesn't work for you. Okay, it is what it is. Moving on, get the room keys and go to our first floor room. Open door and immediately I'm aware that the room had a stinky cigarette smell that had been attempted to get covered up with air freshener. Yuck. Then my husband goes into the restroom and comes out to tell me, "this is a handicap accessible room, there's no tub." Now for 2 adults staying alone, sure it's unfortunate, but not the end of the world. Our issue was we have 2 small toddlers, so a tub is necessary. Next issue we open our window and we're greeted by a patron walking by the pool and our window and here we are on display in the fish bowl. My husband went back to the front desk and let them know our concerns, and that the room definitely would not work. Morning arrives and I discreetly address the floor manager with my concerns. He summons the hotel manager who says under no circumstances is another room available. I replied "really? I walked around the 3rd floor this morning and all these room numbers had check out slips under their doors. So how are there no rooms becoming available?" His response was "all those rooms are already sold." To which I replied, "so I can't have one of those rooms and someone checking in can't have mine?" Blank stare, then the sincher "you should contact your insurance company and see if they can find you another room." I was agahst. After a serious pregnant pause I replied, "you know our last stay was unsatisfactory, so I think I will try to find another property to stay in." And his response, "OK and you should do that soon." Taken aback I reply I will and walk away. I have never been treated like garbage by hotel staff. I felt like I was treated like garbage by Hampton Inn in Windsor, CA. I don't think our requests we outlandish or extreme. Expecting a nonsmoking room to be smoke free and asking for a room with a tub doesn't seem overly high maintenance. I will never stay at this hotel again. We moved to The Fountain Grove Inn. A much better property, and the staff excelled in hospitality.

Room Tip: Stay at the Fountaingrove Inn. The staff was incredible.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank melieAur
GMSatterfield, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Blank stares and incredulous stares are 2 different things! A company booked and paid for our last available room for this party - which happened to be a handicap room. They understandably wanted a different room as they wanted a tub for their children instead of a roll-in shower, but we had no other rooms. In an age of social media slander they became enraged and threatened to do what they are trying to do now. Sad. We only wanted to help them.
California
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The staff were all helpful, both at check-in and the next day. The hotel is clean, clean, clean and the beds were very comfortable. After two nights in a less comfortable hotel, this place was a gift!
Breakfast was typical cold stuff, plus serve yourself style waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage.
Nice patio and pool area, Neutrogena bath goodies.
Next door to an Applebee's, easy parking, quiet location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GMSatterfield, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thanks for your review and for staying with us! We're working hard to ensure that our breakfast meets our guest's needs! We're cutting cantaloupes and pineapples as well as putting out fresh blueberries every day! We sure hope you hurry back - we love our returning guests!
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The staff at this hotel go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and comfortable. I love the free hot breakfast. The rooms are clean and spacious. I like having a decent size fridge and microwave. There are a bunch of places you can walk to to grab a bite or a coffee.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EH-from-Hawaii
I'm with you on the refrigerator size! I hate those tiny ones that aren't good for anything. So glad you enjoyed your stay. Did you get a wine-tasting packet at the desk? It includes maps and tasting passes to local wineries and is completely free! If not, ask for one when you come back. Thanks again for staying with us!
Apple Valley, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have stayed here for both business and pleasure when visiting the Santa Rosa area. The hotel is conveniently located to the local highways, wine regions, dining, and entertainment. The staff is always very friendly and helpful while the rooms are very clean, comfortable, and quiet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Ken B
GMSatterfield, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thanks for staying with us again. We love our returning guests! Not sure if it's the wine, the weather, or the scenery, but our guests are always so pleasant and fun to serve. We sure hope you hurry back!
Irvine, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Loved this place. Room was nice and big, staff was awesome, and location of hotel was near stores. We arrived late and were in need of a room for 5. Our room had 2 queens and a pull out bed. It was perfect for our group. It was quiet, clean, and spacious. Definitely would stay again. The front desk staff was especially helpful and friendly.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

So glad you enjoyed your stay! Our Studio Suites are perfect for a larger family or group looking for that extra bed. Hurry back!
Boston, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were greeted by a very friendly and helpful front desk staff who made us feel very welcome. We had a medical emergency while at the hotel and they reacted swiftly and professionally. The staff even gave travel advisories to all who were at the breakfast. the rooms were clean and comfortable

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Such a pleasure having you stay with us. I'm assuming that you were with our Vineman Triathlon guests. We love and admire our participating athletes. I'm glad everything turned out well for you. We hope to see you again soon - our staff will be waiting!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County
Best Western Dry Creek Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country
Fountaingrove Inn
Fountaingrove Inn
#6 of 25 in Santa Rosa
Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country? Share your experiences!