“Somethings changed....”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Willows
WA
“Somethings changed....”
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I decided to book this hotel after reading the comments for a trip south - it's just to sleep so I don't need anything fancy and the combination of price and such great reviews we thought we'd give it a try.

First of all, the lady at the front desk was kind - so those reviews were certainly not wrong.

The rest of the stay really didn't meet even the low expectations that we had set - we needed a clean room to sleep in and it was a bonus that there was a pool for the kids to play in after a day in the car. From the minute we drove up to the very run down exterior we knew it was not going to be what we had read in these reviews... The pool was closed on a 90 degree day so 4 disappointed kids with lots of energy to burn had to be entertained. Secondly, the rooms were not clean - draperies were torn, the carpet was so old I was afraid to walk on it without shoes. There were flies on the ceiling and the draperies were see - through after the sun went down and lights went on outside. On the upside the linens were very clean and the shower pressure was good, but that did not make up for the rest of the room. We ended up going to dinner and walking around Walmart for longer than we really wanted to just to not have to lounge in the rooms and even though we had a shorter drive the 2nd day, but we were up and on the road at 5am just to get out of there.

The rooms were all full which suprised me at the end of the day, but it was a funny sight to see all those trying to use the "free internet" sitting in the opened doors of their rooms at 10pm trying to get signal.

Overall, very disappointing - I should have stayed at the motel 6 for $25 more......

• Liked — sorry to say nothing...
  • Disliked — sorry to say everything...
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank waauntie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cypress, Ca
Reviewed September 30, 2008

What a find! Thank you Trip Advisor, and those before me that wrote such descriptive, positive reviews. The Blue Gum Motel lives up to all of the good things written. On my way to Oregon from So. Calif. it was the perfect spot for my overnight stay, and I would definitely stay there for an extended amount of time if Willows was my destination. The wonderful experience began with my phone call to make a reservation, was even better (if that's possible) at check-in, and continued through a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed, nice clean room, and lovely surroundings. The owner is so very sweet , sincerely caring and helpful...like having a concierge at the Blue Gum. Many, many thanks...I'll be back.

• Liked — So quiet, clean and wonderful owner
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Chico, ca
Reviewed July 20, 2008

This motel is great. My husband and I live in Chico california and we have stayed at the Blue Gum Motel for every special occasion since we have been married. This motel is on the out skirts of town, quiet, peaceful and very accomodating to the fishing we enjoy doing in the area. The staff is very friendly, always welcoming my husband and I no matter what time we check in. We stay at this motel on our birthdays, anniversaries or whatever we have going on that's a special occasion for us. We stay at the blue gum sometimes just to go and get away from home to be alone. The Blue Gum has many memories in our past and will continue to be great memories in our future to come. This motel has charm of it's own and I would recommend to anyone the Blue Gum Motel if I were to be asked where is the best place to stay in the willows area.
Gary and Renee Roberts

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tazzerina
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We decided to use the Blue Gum as our stopping point on the drive to Southern California. I needed two rooms and really just wanted a place to lay our weary heads for the night. Reviews from Trip Advisor led us to choose the Blue Gum, as I was frankly curious as to whether it did indeed have the charm people have mentioned, or really was just old and run down.

This is a unique little motel, that's for sure. I'd love to have seen it in its hey-day with the restaurant bustling, but do agree that the charm is still there. It's a bit like stepping into yesteryear. There are no computer systems on site ~ reservations were taken by hand. The lady at the desk was sweet and accomodating. I smiled at the coffee, measured into a little plastic cup for the coffee pot in the morning. If you can laugh at yourself, smile at unusual surroundings, and enjoy a bit of whimsy on a trip, you'll like this place.

On the up side, the rooms are a nice size, the pool is large, the place was certainly quiet, and it was very inexpensive. It felt a bit like stepping back into another era, which I enjoyed. On the down side, this is no luxury hotel, nor is it even the Motel 6. The carpets are worn, the colors are outdated, the furniture has been there a loooong time, and it's clear that this motel's glory days are behind it. Even so, we stayed again on our way home, and we'll likely do it again next time we make the drive to Southern California.

• Liked — It was inexpensive and charming.
  • Disliked — It's showing its age and could use some updating.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank sarahmakes6
LITCHFIELD PARK
Reviewed May 31, 2008

We are a race team and we couldnt of found a better place to stay. After a long day at a noisey race track it was great to come back to the Blue Gum Motel and just relax. We enjoyed listening to the birds and watching the beaver play in the river next to the hotel. We are sure to return the next time we are there for a race. Our hosts were wonderful and friendly and keep a very clean motel. Thank you for our great experience there..From the Leo Motorsports Team!

• Liked — They were very comfortable
  • Disliked — cant think of any
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank leomotorsports
Eugene, OR
Reviewed April 17, 2008

My husband, daughter and I recently stayed at the Blue Gum Motel. We have stayed in Willows a few times and have been very disappointed by the hotels/motels there. They are close to the freeway and seem to be dirty. Staying at the Blue Gum was a MUCH better experience. The location is "off the beaten path"...so it is very quiet without the interstate traffic. The rooms are great (and spacious) for only 40.00 a night!! Although the rooms are in need of being updated...they are still clean. There is also a nice pool in front. I would highly recommend going to the Blue Gum...we definitely will again!

• Stayed March 2008
3 Thank MaciEugene
Northern California
Reviewed February 23, 2008

I've stayed at the Blue Gum several times for a winter birding adventure at the nearby National Wildlife Refuges. The owner is very accomodating and pleasant, and the setting is idyllic: a resident Mockingbird scolds from a tree near the pool, well-kept rosebushes surround the central grass area, and there's fine birding across the road (Highway 99) along the river and trees. It's well-priced and though it's not the latest in hotel decor, it has all the basics (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee) plus very comfortable mattresses and it's QUIET! Having stayed in Willows once, this is a real plus: it feels remote, like a place I'd have stayed with my folks on a family trip in the 50's, and is blessedly far enough from I-5 to spare you the truckers' noise all night long.

• Liked — Peace and quiet, great birding on-site, uniqueness (not an anonymous chain motel)
  • Disliked — I would like the owner to have more customers - for her sake!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Birding_Fan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willows
Best Western Willows Inn
Orland Inn
Orland Inn
#1 of 1 in Orland
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Been to Blue Gum Motel? Share your experiences!