“Yummy”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Castaic, California
“Yummy”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great selection of food items. The staff were friendly, informative and just fun to talk to. I wish we had this restaurant in our town!

Visited September 2012

Scotts Valley
“Always a Good Choice”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Black Bear Diners are probably my favorite chain restaurant---too bad there aren't more of them! They have an extensive menu and the meals are generous, tasty and very reasonably priced. This time I had the Chile Verde and eggs for $8.99 and left full and with a smile on my face. I've generally received good to excellent service and this was no exception.

• Visited August 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
“not as good”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

the food was not as good in this dinner as it was in fenley nv. I ordered the same thing that I had in
Fenley and the vegetables were not as good lacking broccoli and the special sauce . There was no dressing with the trukey either. I would not go back knowing they have better food in their other places.

• Visited July 2012
“Not as good as I had hoped.”
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Food was fair. Had an omelet and the mushrooms were cold as was the bell peppers. Potatoes were plentiful, but mostly soft with a shallow layer of crunch.
Service was good, but not great. Had to attract my waitresses attention for more coffee, and a water I asked twice for, while the resturant was practically empty.

Kent, Washington
“If average is your dream...”
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

We had seen the decent reviews here, had driven past numerous Black Bear Cafes in several states...but had never stopped at one. Granted, the options in Willows are painfully sparse. Other than a couple of laconic flies, the diner was clean, looked good outside, and seemed pleasant enough for diner food. The wait staff was also very good for this type of context - friendly, helpful, and outside of being overworked/understaffed a bit they did great. We did have a view of the heat lamps, though, and it was at times depressing seeing how long the freshly cooked items had to sit.

It is hard not to write a review based only on one or two really, really negative things, so in addition to the kudos to the clearly swamped wait staff and basic hygiene above, I also want to note that Peggy's meal was quite good - afterwards, she reminded me of her father's adage, "always remember that diners do breakfast best.". The Shasta Scramble had vegetables, above average hash browns, and a very good biscuit thrown in for good measure.

Alas, Having been dispirited by the truly tragic calorie information (it seemed like almost every option contained 2/3 to 1.5x the daily recommendation for a healthy male adult), I gave up on seeking something healthy and went with instinct: diner = home style = meatloaf. Remarkably, the meatloaf wasn't awful. The mashed potatoes, however, we're an offense to God and Man. Lukewarm, the consistency of paper mâché, and so damp that instead of piling neatly in one corner they oozed into a puddle that threatened to overwhelm my plate. A very clever chef had attempted to hide the shame by pouring the (otherwise tasty) brown gravy over the alleged spuds in a manner that hid the, mostly, from view. Thankfully there were a bevy of undercooked squash and semi-raw broccoli that I was able to use to construct a dam to preserve the meatloaf from its more unfortunate plate-mates. The corn muffin and salad were...just there.

On the lighter side, they did have an excellent anti-meth ad in the window. They also had a flier warning that alcohol can be bad for pregnant women. Based on the alcohol warning, I assumed that there might be a beer in my future. Sadly, no alcohol on the menu that I could find. On the positive side, neither was there any meth in evidence.

Perfectly adequate mediocre road food, as long as you avoid the mashed potato and basically aim for breakfast...and don't mind the cardiac implications of almost anything you eat.