“Bamboozled - Falsely showed up as Best Western motel on internet.”
Review of Travelodge Willows

Travelodge Willows
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Willows
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Unhappy doesn't describe our experience. We also find it unsettling that you do not have a main customer service phone number to call. You are advertising your hotel under Best Western for one, so we were shocked when we arrived at our location and couldn't find our Best Western motel. We called the Best Western in Willows, CA phone number, but Travel Lodge answered the phone! We decided to stay because Willows was our destination city for that evening, June 30, 2010 and did not know what lay ahead. The place looked run down from our last stay (as a Best Western). The lights in the room were dim, and it didn't feel fresh. After dinner at the nearby restaurant, we went back to the room to watch some TV and found that the remote was old and did not work, had some blue tape over the back where the battery should be, so we called the desk, and was informed we could move to another room! We told the young woman that "no" we would not move to another room, and maybe she could find us a working remote from another room. About 9:30 we had a new remote brought to the room by an employee. That night we turned up the air conditioning because the room wasn't cooling off. It turned out there was NO AIRCONDITIONING and we sweltered all night - not good to have a bad night’s sleep when you will be driving a couple of hundred miles the next day. The bathroom had dried brown drips on the wall in a corner, that might have been dried urine, and a little spider crawled into a crack in the wall. I turned on the water for the shower, anyway, and a big silverfish came scurrying out of the wall where the tub faucet is located. Despite that I proceeded to take a shower and when I got out of the tub, there was a huge black and brown spider IN THE TUB who apparently came for a drink. Don't know if it was poisonous, but it looked like a fiddle-back spider. We were charged $87.99 for the horrific stay at your Travel Lodge. I spoke to the women in charge at checkout, and she took down our complaints, saying the owner/manager would credit us a discounted rate. Of course, we have heard nothing from them. You are ruining your reputation. You are bamboozling your customers, pretending to be a Best Western, and grossly overcharging customers for a despicable stay. There are other terrible accounts regarding this same motel all over the internet. Please send us a refund. We did not receive $87.99 worth of a clean, healthy, pleasant nights stay!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel91784

Reviewed March 11, 2009

We've stayed at this hotel several times over the last ten years. Many years ago when it was still a Best Western we really liked it. However, we had been warned the quality had dropped dramatically, and when every other hotel in Willows was booked up, we had no other choice but the Travelodge. It was as bad as we had read in online reviews. Upon walking into the room it was so heavily perfumed I knew they were trying to cover up something. After being in the room for an hour we realized there was a musty smell and slight dampness to the carpet. Given that the door wouldn't stay closed if you tried to lock it from the outside, we bet it was left open during a rain. I opened up a drawer and immediately closed it because of a foul stench. The patio door wouldn't open to the grassy courtyard. There were about 8 or 10 rooms being occupied by other family members at the same time. At least 3 of them did not have working heaters. One of them had a clogged toilet and when they called the front desk they were told they had no maintenance service and to come up to the front desk for a plunger! The front desk then did call back to say THEY would deliver the plunger (but would not do the plunging...). There was not enough hot water for warm showers the next morning. If you ever need to stay in or near Willows and the town's hotels are booked - stay in another town, like Williams. We did once and that was fine. The only two positive things iI can say is there is a lot of grass for running around on and it is within walking distance of many restaurants. We will NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank moondrool
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Hotel is falling down, roof looks terrible, a wall was apparently crashed into. Inside of room is better, but renovations were haphazard. Desperately needs a facelift from the outside.
Best part about hotel is the full breakfast, which seems out of place among the disrepair of the hotel.
Baymont is right next door, way nicer and better buy for the money.
Will NOT stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank matesone
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I had stayed at this hotel two years ago and had a neutral experience, and so chose it again for one night during a birding trip because of its convenient location. The room I got this time had a worn out feel to it, from a highly pilled bedspread and drooping curtain to remnants of old wallpaper trim still stuck to the wall in places. The light next to the bed hummed. Also, the room had poor sound-proofing. In addition to hearing the traffic on I-5, I could hear the people in the next room talking, and the alarm clock in the room on the other side of me sounded like it was going off in my room. The breakfast offered is ample, but everything is served on or in styrofoam with plastic cutlery. I think they could at least use paper plates instead of styrofoam. Finally, the housekeeping maid knocked on the door at 9:00 a.m. while I was in the bathroom. She had opened the door to let herself in before I could even get to the door! I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CA_Traveler_007
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Staying in small towns is always dicey when it comes to expecting CLEAN hotel rooms. Thanks to an earlier review I requested a room in the newer section. While waiting for my turn a guest (on his return trip) didn't have power in his room (the 100 section) and requested the room he stayed in on his original trip.

I walked into my room (#236) and the floor had crumbs and debris in front of the door. I went no further and requested another room.

Room #221 had footprints all over the bathroom. The rest of the room was acceptable. I was tired after an 11 hour drive and accepted this room but voiced my complaint. I noticed after my shower the sink had a used bar of soap. Obviously, someone had used this bathroom and therefore, dirty floors (?) The bathmat was also flithy as if someone took a shower with their boots on!

The room, for whatever reason, was not comfortable. I only got 3 hours of sleep.

The staff, upon check out was very nice and allowed me access to the coffee pot before 6 am. Missing breakfast was nothing to miss.

I would NOT stay here again! I was trying to avoid staying in Redding; however, I'll settle for Redding next time!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank Me_and_my_dawg
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Not a good experience.
The Door stuck and was very noisy. It was hard to open and close.
Air Conditioner was not good. Hard to adjust.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dfeph
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We have stayed at the Golden Pheasant several times a year for the past five or so years, since it is half way between our home in Oregon and our daughter's home in Southern Calivornia. On our recent one-night stay it was as satisfactory as ever. We had a king bed room with the usual large bathroom. Everything was clean and updated and quite comfortable. The view out into the garden is very relaxing. Dinner at the Mexican restaurant on the grounds was reasonably priced. ONE TIP: be sure to ask for a room in the NEW wing -- i.e., one of the "200" numbered rooms rather than the "100" ones.

2  Thank JOHN & GRETCHEN M