“This is now a hastily-remodeled Studio 6 Motel, not a Travelodge”
Review of Travelodge Willows

Travelodge Willows
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Willows
Elkhart, Indiana
“This is now a hastily-remodeled Studio 6 Motel, not a Travelodge”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is an extended stay Studio 6 Motel, not to be confused with the Motel 6 on the same street. But is somehow affiliated with the Baymont Inn. We stayed here for two nights in between a weekend to and from Sacramento. The staff was pleasant but the rooms left something to be desired. One of the heaters in the rooms didn't work at all and when the two in our party were moved, there were no batteries in their remote. In our room, the toilet handle was put on backward, the TV was old, and the cable was bad. The heater was very loud but the room was always cold as soon as it turned off. There was dry rot in the rafters in one room. Also, for an extended stay, I would expect there to be at least a couple of dishes or pots in the room. The gutters outside were broken and when it rained, it poured onto the sidewalk in front of the room doors. The insides of the room are decently remodeled. It did look like a somewhat sloppy job but the wood laminate is a nice touch and the cabinets are modern - even though a handle was swinging off on one of ours. The pillows were like couch pillows, half the size of normal pillows. You can get 15% off your meal at The Black Bear and Casa Ramas next door but I would recommend Nancy's Airport Cafe down the road. Best part about this motel was the price but as one in our party mentioned, "you get what you pay for."

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sarahwebbes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We arrived at 10 pm and was out the door by 8 am. Place has changed the name to Studio 6. Major remodeling going on. Room was half finished. It was clean for us. On phone says hot breakfast, when to check out breakfast, there was none and told us to go to the next hotel and eat there. Very unprofessional. This could be a nice place if the remodeling goes well. Room size is spacious, good for several day stay if needed. We just needed a place to rest our heads before moving on to our destination a couple hours away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Rafael, California, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Recently I attended a big car race event at Thunderhill Raceway, near Willows, CA. All hotels were sold out. More than 2 months prior I had reserved one double room for Thurs-Sun, and 3 double rooms for Fri-Sun at the Travelodge, Willows. I arrived Thursday, and my 6 friends were arriving Friday. When I checked in Thursday night, lobby was sweltering hot, not air conditioned, under construction and stunk of paint. Whatever. Was told that internet access was via a cable they would loan me, but they didn't. I got my card keys, and went around back to my room. The card keys were printed with Baymont Inn graphics, which is the next hotel up the street. On the way to the room, it looked like I was driving through a bombed out ghetto on the way to the room, with broken furniture, mattresses and box springs, drywall and lumber debris strewn all over the sidewalk for much of the way there, right outside many of the rooms. Haven't they heard of a dumpster?
When I got in the room--at least it had furniture in it. But the security latch on the door was literally broken off. Comforting, hunh? I needed a shower and sleep, so whatever. The bathroom was dirty--like the shower mat had big mold splotches on it; there were hairs and dirt on the sink counter and the floor, ants crawling up the bathroom wall, and there was what looked like blood smears on the wall above the side of the toilet. Ew....it's getting worse. After a quick (don't-touch-the curtain-or-wall) shower, I called the front desk to get the cable for internet connection, as the CAT-5 cable that I brought didn't let me connect. No answer. I tried from the hotel phone, and from my cell phone. Nope, no-one there. OK, no last email that night. Needed sleep more...The bed pillows were very small, almost square. Seemed kinda strange, but whatever... Got a short nights sleep and headed out early for the track.

That night, Friday, when my friends were checking in, or I should say trying to check in, the lobby was closed, locked up tight. No one there. This is maybe 10:30 Friday night. Another couple showed up to check in, too, and after some expressions of frustration, they mentioned that this had happened to them before, and the Baymont Inns lobby had keys for the Travelodge. The group headed to the Baymont Inn, and the night clerk called the owner, who owns not only both the Travelodge and the Baymont Inn, but also the Holiday Inn Express there in Willows. My friend got to speak with the owner, a woman possibly named Christine. He was told that there were no rooms. We had the printed reservations with confirmation numbers; she said that there were no rooms. The reservation stated that without cancellation by 4 pm the day before, my credit card would be charged for one night; "Christine" said that I wasn't charged; the charges were refunded when they rented out the rooms. We told her that the issue wasn't want the money, we needed the rooms that were guaranteed to us by the reservation. She insisted that there were no rooms, and this debate went back and forth as she tried to dismiss us. This continued until she was told that if she didn't find us rooms, we were going to call the police and charge her with fraud, and she would have to get her-self out of bed and come down to the hotel and face us. After literally 30 minutes of arguing this point with her, she called her network, and found us rooms at the Blue Gum Inn, about 5 miles north. We got there and checked in close to midnight.

The Blue Gum Inn is a rustic little place, but the owner/night clerk was there and pleasant to deal with, and the rooms were clean, if a bit dated. A couple of us stayed at the one Travelodge room that I had checked into Thursday night, but the remaining 6 of us had to relocate.

The icing on the cake was I met a couple at the track Saturday, who had a room at the Travelodge, and had checked in the afternoon before. The woman had a printed reservation for a smoking king bed room; they gave her a double queen bed room. She insisted that they wanted the king bed room, and after some argument, were given one, and the person behind the counter mentioned that they had a few rooms available because some “guy has too many rooms reserved.” That “guy” was ME! And I didn't have too many rooms reserved, I had enough for the group of us that were intending to stay there.

To top it all off, I got a phone call that Saturday mid-day, in the heat of working on cars, mid race. The person (I didn't catch her name) asked if I still needed the rooms that I had reserved, for Saturday night. These are the rooms that I needed the night before, of course. Since I was rather busy working on a race car, I told her that I couldn't talk, but I was very upset that she had not honored the reservation that I had made months in advance. She told me to call if I wanted the rooms, and hung up on me.

NEVER AGAIN! I strongly urge you to find an alternate place to stay, any place other than the Willows Travelodge, Baymont Inns, or Holiday Inn Express. A person in the hospitality industry who will sell a room out from under a reservation has no business being in the hospitality business, and the best way to communicate this is by sharing the information. Please feel free to tell everyone you know.

I'm sorry that I had to learn this; but the service at Travelodge Willows, CA is HORRIBLE. The worst treatment I have ever had at a hotel in any country. Stay at the Blue Gum Inn! They're nice, and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jim D

Travelers are raving about these Willows hotels

Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

I didn't even get unpacked!! I walked past the bed and got jabbed in the leg by something. I pulled up the bed skirt to see a ROCK holding up the bed and the frame coming apart (see picture). I walked to the bathroom and passed by a large melted hole in the carpet (non smoking room BTW). I used the bathroom, only to witness several bugs on the wall above the bathroom door.
That was it. I packed up my bags and laptop and left. Horrible.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank FFontheroad
Madera, California, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I am really glad I did not read any of the reviews before staying at this hotel. They are renovating the hotel and I have stayed in a number of rooms over about a 2 month period. Each room was very nice even if it had not been remodeled yet. One of the pools is closed (they have two) but the other one is very nice. The owners are very nice and work with me as I have a somewhat difficult schedule when I am in Willow. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who may be in the area and need a place to stay. they are next door to a good Mexican restuarant, across the street from Mc Donalds, Dennys, Black Bear and 2 mini mart gas stations. Microwaves and refrigerators in every room. Right off the freeway. Great location.

Room Tip: Even though many rooms are being remodeled, there is no disruption from noise in the morning. All ro...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tome M
Draper, UT
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This is a very tired hotel. It is currently being renovated, and it really need it. It's clean, but that's about it.

Room Tip: Give them 6 months and things should be better.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jaltaman
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My husband and I have stayed here with his family for an annual family reunion we have every November. In the beginning years this property was semi-decent. In recent years the lack of caring has taken its tole.

The rooms are disgusting (and I don't throw around that word lightly) and unclean! Mine and my husbands particular room had burn holes in the carpet, a huge hole in the wall (which someone tried to patch and just left it unpainted) and a large crack running down the wall as well. The paint job itself in the room overall looked like my 2nd grade neice had done it. The bathroom looked like it maybe had been swept, definately not washed down. There were cobwebs in the corners and other peoples hair on the floor. The mirrors had water spots all around and the counter looked barely wiped down. I wore my socks while taking a shower if that tells you anything! And, good times-- the toilet didn't flush properly and flooded twice; sorry cleaning crew! Needless to say, my in-laws room was no better with simalur cleanliness issues.

To top it off, our room was on the other side of the ice maker, which was broken. So instead of removing it (or, hey, here's a novel idea, FIX IT) they just unplugged it. So by not putting an out of order sign on it, guests would simply plug it back in. That being said, after a considerable 'warm up period’ of loud rumbling and humming, the sound would turn into a jet engine, which sounded like it was landing IN our room. THUD! THUD! THUD! over and over and over against our wall. Finally after an hour, and not knowing it was the ice maker, I called the front desk (mind you it was almost 1:00am) and the 'oh so helpful' lady at the front desk says, "Oh, hmmm, must be the ice maker. It's broken, so we unplugged it and then people just plug it back in and then it makes that sound. All you have to do is go outside (again, 1:00am) and unplug it." Seriously?! THAT was her solution. After I told her what she could do with that idea, ultimately, SHE made the sound stop!

Now, while I recognize that we are in Willows, CA, not really Four Seasons rated. I still think it is reasonable to expect a decent room!

In any case, if you ever find yourself in the wonderful little town of Willows, CA, be forewarned about the Travelodge and find another hotel! A tent out in the many corn fields would be better!

M

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank M D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willows
Baymont Inn & Suites Willows
#1 of 1 in Orland
Motel 6 Willows
Motel 6 Willows
#4 of 8 in Willows

Been to Travelodge Willows? Share your experiences!