“No Service at ALL” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Willits
A TripAdvisor Member
“No Service at ALL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2004

After reading the last person's review, I had to share my own experience at the Best Western Willits Inn.

In April of 2003, I was traveling through Willits by myself with my then 15 month old daughter. Because I knew that the Best Western was new and my husband had stayed previously, I figured it was a safe spot to stay (woman traveling single with child). I checked in and requested a ground floor room, as I had the toddler, luggage, playpen, etc. to carry to the room. Despite that request, I was put in a room on the floor up, requiring me to take the stairs. My little girl couldn't climb stairs and it was cold and rainy and there I sat with all of my luggage, crying. I finally got up the nerve to go back into the office and DEMAND that the man working help me carry my luggage up those stairs and to my room. He tried to argue and was not happy, but I wasn't budging. There were hardly any guests there - why couldn't I have been put on the ground floor? He finally carried my luggage - although obviously angry that he had to.

So we finally get to the room and I open the door and am hit by 100 degree air. The heater appeared to have been running on high for DAYS. The hotel employee had made a quick disappearance and I was so tired from driving for so many hours that I just wanted to get something to eat and sleep. I turned off the heater, opened the window to let some cold air in and it still took nearly an HOUR to cool the room off. When I opened the nightstand drawer, it literally radiated heat. And to top it off, the pizza place across the street wouldn't deliver because it was raining. WHAT A NIGHT!

I can't comment on the "continental breakfast" because I didn't bother to stay around in the morning after being treated so poorly the night before.

The hotel is new and I think would be a descent place to stay - if they got all new employees or owners or something.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2004

My wife and I travel on the North Coast often. While traveling through Willits on a cold evening in November, 2003, we stopped for the night at the Best Western Willits Inn. Having seen this inn being built a few years ago, we had talked about staying here. Knowing that Best Western doesn't put their name on any inn without it being good, and seeing that it was one of the nicer-looking motels in Willits, we checked in. The manager was friendly and gave us a room on the third floor even though we asked for a room on the second floor. (The first floor is actually below ground level). I had sprained my ankle a few days earilier and didn't want to have to haul our luggage up an extra flight of stairs. I explained this to her. She said those rooms were reserved even though there were only a couple of other cars in the parking lot and it was 8 p.m. on a weeknight. I don't know when the other people were scheduled to come in! It was a cold night, so after getting into our room, we turned on the heater. After about 20 minutes, the room wasn't warming up. It's a standard-size motel room. I called the front desk. The manager said the heater took time to heat up the room and to give it more time. The explanation she gave sounded inane but we were tired and so we gave it another 10 minutes to heat up. Still no heat. I called the front desk and asked to be transferred to another room. Her tone suddenly changed. She asked in an accusatory tone if we had used anything in the room. We hadn't and I told her so. She then told me to I'd have to come and get another key from the front desk. She handed me the key to the new room without apologizing. After getting the key, we moved into an adjacent room. After about 15 minutes, there was still no heat. Frustrated, we grabbed our luggage, loaded it in the car and went back to the front desk and told her we didn't want to stay there. She then sent her young son up to the second room to see if we used anything. While her son was gone, she got angry at me for wiping my boots on the welcome mat when we first checked in. Isn't that what a welcome mat if for? To clean off your shoes so you don't track mud into the lobby? Or into the motel room? She never apologized for having faulty room heaters nor did she ever try to put us in a room where maybe she knew the heaters worked. There are not a lot of good-looking motels in Willits. Best Western Willits Inn is a good-looking motel. And their rooms are clean. It's not that old so I would bet they don't have mechanical problems with their room heaters. What seems apparent to me is that the owners are cheap and don't want to pay the gas bill to heat the rooms. We never got a chance to take a shower but it's possible the hot water there is not very hot. That's a real shame. Because it gets cold on the North Coast in the winter. Bone-chilling rain kind of cold. And hot in the summer. I wonder how the AC works. I'm betting not very well. I'll never stay there nor will I recommend this place. Pass this place by (it's the first lodge at the south end of Willits) and find somewhere else to stay in Willits.

14 Thank MarshRat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willits
The Old West Inn
Hampton Inn Ukiah
#1 of 15 in Ukiah
Comfort Inn & Suites Ukiah
BEST WESTERN Orchard Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Willits Inn? Share your experiences!