“Trying to be something it's not”
Review of Baechtel Creek Inn

Baechtel Creek Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Willits
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well, I have to be honest. I'm really loyal to a place I like and we've been staying here on trips since nearly the time the place was built, as a nicer option to the old-style highway 101 motels. It's been a few years but I was surprised that the Baechtel Creek Inn had re-invented itself as an upscale inn and spa which it is not. We paid a $20 premium for a higher-end king room in the "adult" section. I appreciated the quiet but the room was just another motel room and not all that nice. OK, it smelled nice but beige pile carpet doesn't do it. On my "would you walk barefoot in this room" scale it was barely a 5 out of 10. For those new to my reviews, 1 on the scale is hiking boots and heavy socks and 10 is operating-room clean. All attempts to make the room look upscale fell flat, mostly cheap heavy furniture with no seating or table space. When we got into the room there was a "sit print" on the bedspread where it looked like maybe the housekeeper (or someone) maybe sat and watched the news on TV for a break. The ice bucket was high on a shelf out of sight and reach and the coffee pot in the bathroom (rapidly becoming one of my chief irritations) does not say "upscale". One real irritation was that there were no sheer curtains on the window. It was either blacked out or wide open. Not good. A/C was noisy so we cooled the room and shut the unit off for the night. We skipped breakfast, which was not "full hot breakfast" as advertised and went uptown.Staff was very very nice, though, which is always a plus. Please, guys, do what you do best. I want the old Baechtel Creek back.

Room Tip: The property is off-highway and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce J
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

We appreciate our loyal return guests and value their opinion. We have completed rennovated over the last few years, including new furniture, new mattresses, just installed flat screen tvs, granite counter tops in most of the rooms, and are still in process of completing all our rennovations.

This guest chose one of our premium rooms - these are located in our smaller building and we allow no one under 18 in this building. The bed linens are higher quality, there are robes in the room and a nicer look and feel. However, we have 30 of our Traditional rooms - these also are rennovated and might be more to this guest;'s personal liking. They are also about $20 less.

We hope you will come back and try one of these rooms! Thank you for your comments about our staff service!

There are newer reviews for Baechtel Creek Inn

Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Bachtel Creek Inn had a very comfortable king bed with nice pillows and bedding, the room was clean, no noise, but be aware this is not a hotel, you park just outside of your room. The breakfast was better than some that offer free breakfast, not many places to eat in the small town of Willits.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for traveling through and finding us! We appreciate your kind words and for taking the time to let others know your experience. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!

Jan

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I recently stayed at the Baechtel Creek Inn and Spa. What a wonderful experience very clean rooms the spa is wonderful and the hotel has a European flair. The breakfast is delicious
The rooms are clean, great pool and hot tub. I stayed five days and could have moved in. I have never had such a wonderful experience at a hotel before. The grounds are amazing. I was in Willits for business and the warm caring staff made me feel right at home. Thank you and I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

We appreciated your encouraging comments and as all our reviews, will share with our staff! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Jan

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This Motel advertises that It is Ascend Collection.(website only, not at Motel) Upon arrival I discovered quite a different situation. Old smelly rooms in disrepair with cheap furniture. I went to the office and the owner ( showed a different side than in other reviews) who states " Ascend" means nothing "it is a sales ploy" showed me another room, again smelly and cheaply put together. Their "Boutique" rooms are basically the same but more GAUDY for more money. Ascend Collection is the Top of Choice Hotels and are ALL Boutique HOTELS, not motels. This spot is motel like with very low quality decor.
At the point when I was ready to leave I was told I would pay for a room whether I stayed or not.
This is how They treat a Choice Diamond Member. Never again !

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ojodoc
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

We are sorry this person was not at all pleased with our hotel. As we all know, there are always two sides of a situation.

First, we have been a member of Ascend Collection - which is a membership of unique, boutique or historical inns, hotels from Choice Hotels since they began. We are part of their unique group because of our on site Spa. We have our Ascend Sign clearly posted in our lobby and I will attach a photo. We offer Traditional, Premium or Custom Theme rooms - this guest booked a traditional room - which is a nice, clean comfortable room offering a lower rate. Our furniture is American of Martinsville, assuredly not cheap. Our bedding is new,

I could go on and on refuting what this person wrote, but I think our reviews and photos speak for themselves. This person choose to leave, he was not charged so don't really understand his whole point of writing such a negative review. We certainly tried our best to make sure he was treated with the same courteous and respect we offer all our guests

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night with our dog before heading up to oregon camping for two weeks. Our stay here was the perfect way to begin. Jan was wonderful, very friendly and sincerely interested in making sure her guests are comfortable and happy. Our room was a pet friendly room, very clean and the bedding was nice and soft. The bed was a little firm for me, but I usually sleep on a feather bed with a foam topper underneath, (princess and the pea syndrome). We asked to take a look at the non pet friendly rooms for trips without the dog and were very impressed with how nicely they are appointed. The pool and breakfast area are lovely. We had a very relaxing morning just hanging out at the pool before heading up to Oregon for the big campout. We will definitely be staying here again, with and without the dog, and recommending this wonderful little oasis to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests traveling with their pets! We have 4 pet friendly rooms and we always enjoy our canine guests-they are some of the nicest and well mannered guests! Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experience -after a long summer it is a pleasant reward for our staff!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had our club stay at the Baechtel Creek Inn for 3 nights and I could not have been happier. The Staff was amazing, the rooms were clean and neat, the food was wonderful. What more could you ask for. The Inn owner and manager was amazing to us, she took care of everything from making reservations on the Skunk train to making sure everyone had a wonderful breakfast. I can not say enough about this place, if you need just one night or you have a group that needs to stay for 3 nights this is your place. I have planed a lot of events in the past with a lot of different hotels. This one was the best by far. The Redwood Empire Model T club would like to Thank the Baechtel Creek for such a great time!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Chris and his group were one of the best groups we ever hosted- just delightful in every way, positive and happy people. We wish all our groups were as easy to host as the Redwood Empire Model T Club was. Chris did an amazing job putting together an itinary that was diverse and fun for his group and there is nothing as plesant as to see everyone having a great time! Thank you all!

Jan & Staff

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We were lucky enough to get a room as 'walk-ins' in the late afternoon! We got exactly what we needed too. They discounted for AAA, so the price was good. The room was very nice. This is an older place, but has been updated very nicely. A complimentary bottle of wine was given to us-extra nice touch! The bed was comfortable, room was spacious enough & quite for the night. AC worked great. The breakfast room is very pretty with outside seating as well & it's very pretty outside! The grounds are beautiful. The breakfast was good, hot items offered along with banana bread! The staff was very friendly & helpful. It was a very nice stay for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

It was a delight to have you as our guest and we appreciate your feedback. We share all comments with our front desk as well as housekeeping staff and it great reviews are all an added incentive to continue to work hard for our guests! Thank you

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willits
The Old West Inn
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Hampton Inn Ukiah
Hampton Inn Ukiah
#1 of 15 in Ukiah

Been to Baechtel Creek Inn? Share your experiences!