“Almost perfectly excellent!”

Baechtel Creek Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Willits
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The best in Willits! The staff was wonderfully accommodating in answering questions about area attractions, permitting an earlier than planned checkout due to sudden travel restrictions, and maintaining beautiful facilities! My only negative feedback would be all the service vehicle noise which they can't do anything about. I also really liked that they are a pet friendly place. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be on the same 'side'. There's not much to a 'front' view...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

We are glad your experience was almost perfect! We appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying with us!

Jan

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I find that the reviews on trip advisor are usually pretty spot on in helping me select a good hotel for wherever our travels take us. Unfortunately I was disappointed during a recent stay we had at the Baechtel Creek Inn. We were in Willits for my daughters swim meet and were looking for a nice family hotel where my kiddos could unwind and play in the pool while we could relax after the meet. I took the day off work on Friday so that we could arrive early enough to enjoy the pool and then grab dinner. We checked in at 5:00 after 3 hours in the car with kids that were ready to get out of the car and into the pool. The staff member that checked us in was friendly but didn't seem knowledgeable regarding nearby restauarants and the one she referred us to (Al's Redwood Room) was a bit seedy and also shared an entrance to the restaurant with a bar, not what I was hoping for in dining with two small children. She said that she needed to double check that our room was clean (which I thought odd since it was already 5:00), she quickly confirmed that our room was available and gave us our room key but failed to give directions to our room (not a big deal but she really didn't seem "present:", after years of experience in the hospitality industry I'm pretty picky about this). We lugged our kids and some of our stuff upstairs only to find that the cleaning staff was still working on our room and they told us that it would be at least half an hour until we would be able to check-in. Had to break it to the kids that we wouldn't be able to swim and had to go eat first (major melt-down). After our not-so-good experience at Al's Redwood Room we returned to the hotel and went down to the lobby. There was now a manager with the staff member and I told her that I was suprised and disappointed that we were unable to check in at 5:00 when we arrived. I was really surprised with her curt response that the hotel was completely booked the evening before and people were really slow in leaving and that their policy states that check in is AFTER 3. She stated that "check-in after 3:00 means that the hotel is not required to have our room available at 3 just sometime after 3:00" Seemed like a vague response, would she still think that ok if our room wasn't available at 7 or 8 pm? I told her that other peoples late arrivals should not affect the day that we had planned with an arrival that was later than their check-in time of 3:00 (5:00) and asked her if it would be possible to have a discount on the room given our inconvenience. My request was denied and I didn't receive apology for their poor planning with cleaning arrangements. Left the room angry but wanted to enjoy my time with my family. Went back to the room (very warm, air conditioning had been turned off) and got ready for the pool. Went down and asked for pool towels, then had to wait while the staff member had to go through the entire check-in process with another guest. She then had to "check-out" our towels to our room. She had to encode the number of towels I took in her computer and then give me the towels (seemed a bit petty and ineffcient and continued to get further upset about more missed quality family time). Enjoyed our time out at the pool, beautiful location next to the creek and fun with other families in town for the meet. As we headed upstairs for the night my husband (a firefighter) noted that their fire extinguisher had not been serviced since 2007 (CA requires that these be checked and recorded yearly). I didn't feel much better when I plugged in my laptop and a few small sparks came from the outlet! Rooms are basic but they have had some upgrades (and it appeared they are in the process of more) but just felt that a lot of the upgrates were superficial with quite a few things older and in need of repair (air conditioning unit was old, inefficient, and noisy). However, beds, pillows, and bedding were very comfy and very clean. The next day we headed out and returned about 2:30. Our room was not cleaned, and the room of our friends next door had also not been cleaned. Someone had come in, drawn the blinds, and turned off the air conditioner, however didn't clean anything while they were there. It was pretty hot for us (especially considering we're from the foggy coast) and it took a long time (a couple of hours) for the air conditioning to cool down the room again after it had warmed back up. Just thought it was odd that they turned off the air conditioning during our stay, I've always assumed that I'm paying for the room and that during my stay I should be able to keep the temperature to a comfortable level for my family. We called down to the front desk to see if housekeeping would be cleaning our room that day. Housekeeping came up quickly and cleaned while we were at the pool. Also our keys wouldn't work on our second day, we heard many families saying that they experienced the same thing. Had to go downstairs, wait in line again, and get the keys fixed in the computer Again, not a huge deal but all of the little things were certainly adding up. On our second day we enjoyed more time at the pool and had a great dinner (with great customer service) at the Lumberjack restuarant down the street. Sorry that this ended up a bit long winded, I had good expectations for this Inn and there were quite a few good things. However, customer service goes a long way with me and a sincere apology is really all that was necessary for these inconveniences and I don't feel that we received that at all. I understand that it can be more stressful to manage and coordinate when things get busier than anticipated, but a smile, understanding, and an effort to make things right can make all the difference in the world. Considering the price we paid per night I would say that we did not recieve similar amenities we would have recieved at a comparable type of lodging.

Room Tip: Ask for room that has already been remodeled.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ginger M
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate when our guests share their thoughts and experiences with others.

There were many things addressed in this review - however, I do want to answer a few of those that I think others need to be made aware of.

Check in is after 3 PM and we do try to do everything possible to make that happen. On a busy weekend, with our prior guests checking out after 11 am - and the new group arriving after 3PM - there is a short window of time and things don't always go as smoothly as possible.
This guest was offered the use of the pool and hot tub, we have a restroom in the lobby, because we saw she had a little one with her and we understand the long drive! She preferred to wait for the room. The room was actually ready in 20 minutes of her arrival, however, they had left to go to dinner.

We have a system with our pool towels - they are nice big fluffy ones and we check them out at the front desk. We have an inventory form and the guest signs and we write down how many towels are checked out. The guest can return them to us or bring them to their room. We inventory our linens to help control costs - which is beneficial to our guests as it keeps their costs down.

We also are doing everything possible to incorporate "green" practices at our hotel. This means in the am when housekeeping goes through the rooms, they turn off all lights and A/C or heater units. Hotel rooms are a single room and keeping the A/C, lights, etc on all day wastes a tremendous amount of energy. When a guest returns to their room and turns on their A/C - considering that it is just one room, it cools down within 10 minutes maximum.

Our rooms are always being upgraded - we just received our new Samsung Flat Screen TVS and they are being installed over the next few weeks. Our bedding is all white sheet duvets - to ensure our guest's cleanliness and comfort.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Left San Francisco and drove up the coast. We made these reservations on line. Very clean room. Served br beakfast in the lobby in the morning. Staff could have been more helpful as far as nearby resturants and attractions. Used the pamphlets available to find the skunk train ride the next day. Had a pool and hot tub that looked very nice but it was a little too cool.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you were happy with your stay!

Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

What a cozy charming Inn!! It is set back between taco bell and McDonald's so I was a little unsure at first, but once I walked into the office my doubts were erased. Staff was wonderful, our room was updated and clean. The bed was so comfortable, and I have a bad back so I would know. Breakfast was great, homemade fruit salad and quiche, along with other excellent choices. A cut above the others!! Don't miss it!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank lynettecr

We are so glad you tried us too! Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write us such an encouraging review, our staff will be delighted!

Jan

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Needed a place to stay on the way to ft bragg. Very nice garden style hotel. Clean. Pool and hot tub are clean and kid friendly. They allow pets for a fee.

• Stayed: July 2012
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you for your very kind review! We appreciate when our guests take the time to let others know of their positive experience.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

this place is prob. the most cleanist place your gonna find but the price is unreal 135.00 a night and thats with AAA for an out dated really small room come on if you travle u know eevn the cheap little motels have at least a flat screen tv. the women who checked us inn on the p.m shift was really rude and not friendly my husbend had just got off work and he was a little dirty in need of a shower so she told us they had no rooms then some one in the back told her that they had a few rooms left so she had to rent us one as long as we had a 500.00 doller deposit lol. they take inventory on everything if you need a pool towel you have to check them out. come on now this is suppost to be a nice place where u come to relax not have your every move inventoried lol i'll never stay here again iam going to best western in the morning 85.00 a night and i can come and go as i please the. rooms have just been remodeled and are way bigger and a little more up to date hope this helps

Room Tip: rooms are very small
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Athena G

This review was somewhat surprising to us as our rooms are standard hotel size, not any bigger or smaller. Even though they are standard size, we feel that we do everything possible to make them as comfortable and updated as possible. Our beds have new Sealy mattresses that our guest rave about, white sheet duvets for cleanliness and our furniture is just two years old. It is interesting to note that no hotels in Willits and only 1 in Ukiah have flat screen tvs at this time, however, we actually have ours on order and they should be here any day- Samsung 32" flatscreens. We are excited about that.
If a guest does not have a credit card, we do require a cash deposit of $250.00 and that is refunded the following day when they leave. Our pool towels are nice big new towels and our guests check them out at the front desk and can leave them in their room or return them to us at the front desk.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here with my family, and the manager/owner was very accommodating and friendly when I checked in. She gave me great advice for exploring the surrounding communities and offered some wonderful places for eating. The room was small, but nicely appointed. My only dissatisfaction comes with the two staff members I dealt with when the manager was gone. The am staff was hurried and not very friendly during the breakfast time both days (people not knowing how to operate the waffle iron obviously got to her, but in fairness three hours every am listening to that beeping could get to the best of us). I stood in line with my 3 year old niece who waited patiently for a gentleman ahead of us to get some fruit and a yogurt, he took the last one, so I asked if we could get one more and was told "that was all for today" curtly. Not a big deal, I know but that was really the only thing the three year old would eat (weird that she is not a waffle fan). The other run in I had was on my second night when I went to check out an extra pool towel, the staff at the desk asked my room number three times and then wanted to know if I had "claimed all the children in my room" to which I answered yes, when I checked in yesterday. I realize that this hotel sees all types and has to work hard to keep things looking nice when everyone wants something for free, but staff are such a reflection, and when they lack the necessary personality it hurts in the long run. One other thing was that we left our bath towels on the floor in the bathroom for replacement and they were just picked up and piled up in the towel baskets and no replacement shampoo was provided. I went down and asked for new shampoo and let the towel issue go. All in all I would stay here again, but I would be hard pressed to say this hotel is any better then other options in the area for about half the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Yikes - training is obviously always an ongoing experience! I apologize that this guest felt there was a different experience when the gm (me) was on duty compared to when I was not. Keeping up with breakfast is always a challenge - however, a smile is free and goes a long way! We are always working on improving our staff, customer service and our guest's experience!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willits
The Old West Inn
#5 of 23 in Fort Bragg
Shoreline Cottages
Shoreline Cottages
#1 of 23 in Fort Bragg

Been to Baechtel Creek Inn? Share your experiences!