“An act of god would be required for me to stay here again.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Whittier
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Perhaps it was my mistake making this reservation through a third party. A mistake I will not make again. When I showed up at the hotel I was told the only room available was a smoking room but I was in luck, it is a suite! Having stayed here before I was familiar with the style of the rooms and amenities. This room was twice as large as any others and that is where the story gets interesting. The carpet was dated and worn, the tv was something I hadn't seen since the 90's and didn't face anything in particular. The majority of the space was just a wide open room, great if your a bunch of kids looking for a party pad(that's what it smelled like). I'm a 34 year old and was in town on business. Everything was worn and dated! When I called the front desk they informed me there was nothing else and my request for a non-smoking room would not be available. At this point I decided to leave, as I was packing my bags the manager called to express his apologies and they found me a room! Poof magic! The room was fine. What I had expected. A few other incident over the next two days made me doubt the aptitude of the staff and management. I ordered decaf tea and was brought anything but decaf. I asked for a robe to wear down to the pool and it took one and a half hours to get it. I called numerous times and was told it was on its way. Eventually I just sat in the lobby and waited for it. I stay in hotel several times a month, I generally have low expectations everything is perfect and my request are mundane yet always performed with the utmost attention and care. Because my first two stays here were truly fantastic I was disappointed to find things had taken a turn toward the worse.

• Stayed: March 2013
RadissonWhittier, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Good Day Staci,
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not so pleasant this past time at the Radisson Hotel Whittier! We do value the comments and feedback of all of our guests to insure we can make the hotel the best place to stay. We take pride in our hotel, customer service, and attention to details to ensure our guest has the best experience here. We sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next visit. We sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations….. which is certainly our goal.

Frank Macias
Director of Sales & Marketing
Radisson Hotel, Uptown Whittier
7320 Greenleaf Avenue
Whittier, CA 90602
(562) 945-8529

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Arrived @2:30pm and had to sit in lobby until 3:00 for regulation check-in. Probably because housdkeeping is understaffed or overwhelmed. Rooms were cleaned until after 5 and room service trays and dishes littered the hallways all day without pick up. The hotel hosts a college free for all party on Saturday nights. You can't get to your room without a yellow wristband they use to keep the kids out. The lobby and lounge are packed with noisy and drunk people and they pewked all over the hotel parking lot when they left. The hotel otherwise is average, the staff is competent and helpful, not many selections of TV stations, and I did have trouble connecting wireless. I would definitely stay away on weekends to avoid the party chaos but probably would not stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We visited on a package with Whittier College, which seemed a pretty decent discount. The hotel is the major hotel for uptown Whittier. It has had some criticism in the past but seems to be getting better. It's close to everything you need and parking is plenty and free. Staff are polite and helpful and the rooms are clean and refurbished. We didn't use many of the facilities. We did use the pool, which was quiet and caught the sun. On the downside, the place does seem to double up for the main 'convention centre' for the town and so there seemed to be always a lot going on in the meeting rooms etc. This was ok until the night time, when the noise has an impact either in the corridors to the rooms or in the car parks. Noise was a bit of an issue. The information in the rooms about the hotel and local facilities was also poor. However you get what you expect and I'm confident that if there was a problem the staff would try there best to resolve it.

Room Tip: possibly get a room onto the pool for a better nights sleep
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I arrived at the hotel just after midnight after several hours of driving on the interstate. Needless to say, I was exhausted and just wanted to go to bed. Upon entering the hotel, I immediately heard the loud booming of a club - the girl at the check-in apologized for the noise and mentioned that it closes around 1AM in the morning.

Check-in was smooth, the girl placed me on the 8th floor, and said it was in the wing of the hotel that was quiet. I was a bit skeptical, but thankfully it was! I didn't hear any bass or any noise from the club up on the 8th floor.

The room itself was decent, clean, but worn out. The TV did not work, the Sleep Number bed unit did not work either, the black out curtains wouldn't close completely either - leaving a 4" gap in between the curtains. I was too tied to care and just flopped to sleep.

I woke up around 7AM from the sunshine pouring through the gap in the blackout curtains.

My neck unfortunately was all cramped up... it was because the bed was horribly uncomfortable, probably due to the broken air pump on the Sleep Number bed and the fact the pillows were crappy.

Thankfully only stayed one night.

Parking is free, that's a bonus. Internet was decent sped and free.

I would rate it overall as an average hotel - if the staff did a little more due diligence, i.e. check if the bed is functioning correctly or if the TV would even turn on... it would have made my stay much more pleasant.

Room could use a revamp too.

Room Tip: High up, away from the club.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here July 30th to August 2nd, 2013 in a renovated room #816.

This Radisson is in a great location in Los Angeles county putting you just outside the hustle and bustle but at the same time you are just 45 minutes from the beach.

FRONT DESK:

The lady checking us in was nice enough but we have had warmer greetings at other Radissons.

LOBBY:

It was spacious and open and led to the outdoor pool and hot tub. Sophia's restaurant, ATM, two computers and printer in the "business" center were all easily accessible from the lobby.

POOL & HOT TUB:

The pool was small but heated so you could easily enjoy a nice swim. My disappointment comes from the hot tub.

The water was greenish, dirty at the bottom, the water was not heated, like a hot tub should be, as it felt like bath water and the jets were weak.

This was not relaxing like it should be. The front desk said the water is heated as is or super hot.

Umm, you mean hot like a hot tub should be? Keep in mind the outside temperature was in the mid 70's and the hot tub was 80.

Very disappointing!

ROOM:

We had a small room with two double sleep number beds on the 8th floor as requested. We asked for the pool view side and got it. However, the only view we had was the ugly roof tops unless you stuck your head half way out the window.

Overall, the room met our needs as we there to just sleep after enjoying the beaches all day.

HOUSEKEEPING:

They did a great job and our room was always cleaned and stocked.

CLEANLINESS OF HOTEL:

We really didn't care to see other guests trash and dishes in the hallway while walking to the elevator.

This was a daily occurrence. The management should have staff monitoring the floors hourly to clean up trash etc.

EXPERIENCE:

Would I stay here again? Maybe.

If I am wanting to visit the LA area and beaches we would consider this Radisson again even though our room had no microwave or at the very least a small refrigerator.

Oh yeah, we are still waiting on the fan we requested Tuesday night.

We have been a member of the Carlson rewards program for many years and we love the Radisson and Country Inn & Suites.

This Radisson offers the bare mininum and doesn't give you the wow factor but it is in a great location, is recently renovated and offers a great night sleep on the sleep number bed.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Bohalltrips
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel has "sleep comfort" beds that have a remote control to adjust the firmness. Some may like these beds, but too me it was either too hard or felt like I was sleeping on an air mattress when I made it softer. I did not sleep well. And the reason you stay at a hotel is to sleep right? hence the 2 star rating. I plan to avoid all hotels with these beds in the future.

Wifi in the room worked well. TV did not turn on, but I didn't discover this until I was already in bed and decided it wasn't worth doing anything about. Lots and lots of kids running around the hotel. Front desk staff were very pleasant.

With Different beds and I'd stay here again. Lots of restaurants that are walkable from the hotel in downtown Whittier.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
RadissonWhittier, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Radisson Hotel Whittier and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Jack G. Wright, Director of Operations (562)945-8511

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stay 9 days at this Hotel while on vacation. We had planned only 4 but during our vacation I ended up having emergency surgery so extened the say to recourperate before our long trek back home. We were very impressed. The staff were very friendly and had no problem remembering us, our names and what room we were in from the 2nd day. The hotel has gone through a new remodel on each floor. We were give a room on the 4th floor. It was very quiet and we never heard our neighbors except the doors closing (they are heavy and close a bit hard). The staff, including cleaners, mainenance and management were all very nice and helpful.
The rooms: NICE. The beds were sooo comfortable we kept sleeping in. Even our 5 yr old slept in. Sleep number beds are a great treat. But some people do not like them. We did very much. And after surgery it was important I was comfortable. The room are decorated quite well. The linens are high quality with nice down or down like covers and big comfy fluffy pillows along with cover pillows and bolsters. The little touches are quite nice such as the shell designs the maids do on towels, washrags, toiletpaper and tissues are nice. My daughter loved it so much she took one down to the front desk to ask if she could keep it (but then it fell apart. LOL)The room was cleaned quite well and the bedding only changed when requested which is what we preferred. The Restaurant (Sophias) is in the Lobby area which is different in that there are no walls to make it a separate room in itself but it is a very nice restaurant with excellent quality food. The extra touches like glass chilled water bottle for each table, soft white linens and quality cloth napkins make it inviting and relaxing. You never feel hurried and the waiters are professional but not intrusive. If you need anything they are happy to do what they can. If you have a problem with the room they are on it. My 5 yr old did not want to leave. She says she wants to live there. The pool is enclosed and private (only some rooms and the glass doors leading to it from the lobby can see it. It is nicely decorated with greenery around it. This place has a lounge and hosts parties and other party type venues, like salsa night. It can get a bit loud. It turns from quiet, relaxing almost tranquil atmosphere most of the time to energetic, loud music party atmosphere on those weekend nights. But we had no problem once in our room on those nights with the noise. It was a nice stay overall and we were impressed. Definitely look forward to staying there next time we visit So Cal. We did have one complaint; My husband wants his coffee in the mornings. The new coffee pots in the rooms do not work well. They look nice and are one cup makers that you put your coffee mug under during brewing. Sound great. Less mess, takes up less room and it goes directly in the cup. If it worked. My husband kept having to push the button over and over to get it to complete a full cycle (just for one cup). We talked with staff about it and they are sorely disappointed over them and rather embarrassed. They would prefer to get the old ones back but their hands are tied by corporate who ordered these pieces of junk for many of their hotels. So if you don't like the coffee maker for what you are paying for an upscale room, file a complaint with corporate. It's the only way they will change this.

Room Tip: The restaurant across the street has an excellent pastrami sandwich that's made right. There is...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittier
Vagabond Inn - Whittier
Vagabond Inn - Whittier
#4 of 11 in Whittier
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Rosemead
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Commerce

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles? Share your experiences!