“Absolute Terrible Hotel Stay and Special Event Location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Whittier
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Where to begin...My sister and I planned our Father's 70th surprise birthday party at this hotel to be held in September 2012.. Huge mistake!! KEY NOTE: OUR PRECIOUS MOM HAD PASSED AWAY!! PLEASE KEEP THAT FACT IN MIND AS THIS REVIEW IS READ IN FULL. This special celebration was to be a memory to cherish not a nightmare to haunt us. Several out of state guests attended..approx.80 people. We also had reserved a block of rooms at Radison for our guests convenience. Another huge mistake. Upon arrival that day for the party in Septmember, we found several family members held in the lobby for several hours due to rooms being cancelled accidently by hotel personnel. Of course no one owned up to this or claimed responsibility. A childish act at best by the front desk. No managers except one was on duty to handle this mess. I personally had to request to speak to the manager on duty. Of course, there were no managers except ONE on duty that Saturday. After a 45 minute wait, the only (lone) manager of this hotel showed up. Unbeleivable. Keep in mind, aside from severe emabarrasment from us and angry family members, the front desk personnel had our dear uncle who made special arrangments to attend my Dad's party waiting in the poorly ventilated lobbly of this hotel. He has an advanced stage of cancer!!!!! His was one of the rooms cancelled. Yes, his room!!! All the rooms eventually given were absolutely ugly,old, and dirty. No rennovations done here. Bottomline: It was a horrible experience to sum it up. BEWARE TO ANY INDIVIDUALS WHO DECIDE TO STAY OR BOOK AN EVENT THERE. HOPE THIS REVIEW WAS READ ALONG WITH THE SEVERAL OTHER POOR REVIEWS WRITTEN/GIVEN FROM MANY OTHERS. IF I HAD READ THE REVIEWS ABOUT THIS HOTEL BELEIVE US, WE WOULD NEVER OF HAD OUR FAHTER'S SPECIAL DAY HELD AT THE RADISON HOTEL IN WHITTER.CALIFORNIA.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Norma G
RadissonWhittier, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We are sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience during your stay. It is unfortunate when situations like this arise. I have began to research details of your event and room block and will discuss all my findings with our executive management team and will work to make certain this does not happen again to any future guests. We take every precaution to make sure that all guests are affected as little as possible by own mistakes. We hope you will consider us again when you are in the area.

If you would like to further discuss your stay or event, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here on our last vacation to LA for 3 days. It is very nicely decorated. You feel it should be more expensive then it is. The lobby was absolutely beautiful but the restaurant being moved to one end of it was definitely different (kinda like an open courtyard but inside feel to it).The room was Very nice, clean and roomy. We requested a mini fridge which they brought up for us. The King size Sleep Number bed was the BEST sleep we have ever had at a hotel. We co-sleep with our (then) 2 year old daughter. She has always been a terrible sleeper. She is a true princess when it comes to beds and MUST have soft fluffy bed to sleep. So we don't get much sleep on vacations with almost all hotels beds being too firm. This was the First time she woke early in the morning but was sooo comfy she wanted to and did fall back to sleep for 2 hours. I must have a super soft bed due to joint problems and my husband likes his moderately firm so it worked very well for us. The breakfast buffet was excellent! Well priced with a lot to choose from. We did not eat any other meals there since there are soo many other places to check out around town. There was a club with loud music one night but we Never heard a peep in our room. Doors slam hard to rooms but all was quiet besides that. We did have to switch rooms initially when we arrived since the sleep number bed did not work. They were very nice about it and was quick to move us without much fuss (it was there idea). Staff oogled over our daughter and was pretty family friendly. They are really nice staff and seem to work hard to please customers. I was not reluctant to ask them for anything. We are planning to return for vacation in a couple months and look forward to staying there again. If you are worried about loud noise from the club or outdated rooms ask for an updated room away from the side of the club. The worst they can say is they don't have one available! If you don't ask, you won't know. They don't have anything much for kids. They are a basic upscale hotel but what they do offer they try to do it well. Pool is nice as well.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room or one away from the Club side of the building.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking your time to post such a flattering review, Cherish! We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for choosing the Radisson Hotel Whittier to be a part of your California vacation. We are very honored to receive such flattering compliments on our accommodations, customer service and Sleep Number beds. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the Southern California area.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My name is Evelyn and I have personally stayed here with my friends twice and we have never ever encountered any problems, thank goodness. I am in marketing and travel to several hotels per year and I was pleasantly pleased with the king size bed, the room itself, lobby, restaurant, room service and especially the nightclub DISCO RETRO NIGHTS ! Loved every bit about our stay and I will most likely be back!

Thank you so much for a very pleasant stay - Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review Evelyn. Our staff works hard to impress all of our guests and provide the best possible exerience. We are happy this was and remains the case for your visit to the Radisson Hotel Whittier.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Tho V
Radisson W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Reviewed January 12, 2013

So many issues!
Only 1 floor has been renovated. Most rooms are old, run down looking. Stained sheets etc...
Advertised as having "Sleep Number" bed, heated pool, spa

Did in fact have sleep number bed, bot 100% NON Functioning! They didn't have the necessary air pumps connected.

They may very well have had a heated pool... yet it was not turned on!!!! What good is that???

When I first got there, I overheard others complain that the hot tub was scalding hot. When I tried it the following day, it was luke warm/cool.
I brought this to their attention for the following 4 days. It never was resolved.
I suspect there is only an on and off for temperature... too silly. I suggested 104 was the target. It was either too hot or too cool for 5 days in a row!

Coffee maker in room did not work. I asked for a new one
took 2 days to get that

TV reception was seriously horrid

The renovated rooms are in fact done beautifully! What a HUGE improvement!!
One issue however is that each room has a door between rooms to create adjoining rooms. The sound proofing between the doors was non-existent. Seriously the guy snoring in the next room kept me up. When he urinated I was tempted to ask if he washed his hands LOL. Seriously it is THAT bad!

The service provided by the front desk as well as cleaning and food service were excellent!
I suspect there may be an issue with the maintenance team.

I asked to discuss this with a manager. I was told there was no manager on site.

I am by no means a complainer albeit sounds like I am. I do however travel a lot. I usually stay at a Marriott if available.

In closing, I suspect they will renovate more rooms and hopefully address some of the issues I have mentioned. I don't know what can be done about inter-room noise.
Suffice it to say... if you choose to have an intimate moment with your significant other.... you may get a round of applause from other rooms LOL

OK rant over.... 'fer now anyway
Cheers :-)

Room Tip: 8th floor is currently renovated
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Harry J
RadissonWhittier, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Harry,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us this January. I am happy to hear that you found our renovated rooms to be quite beautiful. At the same time, I am deeply apologetic to hear that other aspects of your stay were not up to par. I will speak to our staff regarding the temperature of the pool and whirpool to ensure it is at a comfortable level for future guests. Additionally, I will share your comments regarding the sound traveling amongst rooms.

Thank you for your time, we do value all of our guests comments. Please visit again once our renovations have been completed. I am sure you will be impressed with the turn around of the hotel. Like us on Facebook for updates as the project continues.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for the Rose Bowl for just one night and I must say--one night is far too long! I travel A LOT and I have to say this is by far the filthiest room I have ever seen. The ceilings are craxked, window broken, A/C on its last milb and noisy as can be (coupled with "club" music a few floors down and it's perfect if you dont' want any sleep. The bed was so uncomfortable and the TV looked like it was a 1996 Zenith. The worst part were the hairs we found on bathroom floow and curtains--dark and long. So gross. There were also stains EVERYWHERE..from teh carpet to the curtains. We honestly thought this was a joke. Paid $160. Never would I stay here again--I'd honestly rather sleep in my car. Absolutely filthy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Kristin H
RadissonWhittier, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us as anticipated. We are currently renovating all of our sleeping rooms which will retify these issues. The renovation is expected to be completed this Spring. Our friendly staff is excited for the new project and hopes to have the opportunity to serve you again once it has been completed so we can exceed your expectations. Feel free to contact me the next time you visit the Whittier area.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for a mini vacation to the LA area for the Rose Bowl. The exterior and lobby are nice looking and the staff is very friendly. However like previous reviews the rooms are very outdated and they were in the process of updating them. I had gold points that I used so I got all 3 nights for free but will not stay there again until they update or if we are in a pinch and need somewhere to stay that is cheaper than downtown. The beds were suppose to be sleep number but they were not and they were very hard to sleep on. The comforters are not as long or wide as they should be to be able to curl up under. The room we happened to have was a handicap room although neither of us were handicap but it may have been the only room type available due to a wedding being in the hotel. We were not that worried about the room since it was only a place for us to sleep since we were in town for the Rose Bowl festivities. Wish the beds were more comfortable and that is a make or break deal right there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Becky870

Thank you for posting your stay with us. We appreciate your understanding of our current renovation project and are happy to hear that you were impressed by our friendly staff. Thank you for your loyalty to the Radisson family. We look forward to serving you again on your future travels to the Radisson Hotel Whittier.

frank.macias@radisson.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittier
Vagabond Inn - Whittier
Vagabond Inn - Whittier
#4 of 11 in Whittier
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Rosemead
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Commerce

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles? Share your experiences!