“Its getting there”

DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Whittier
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for a mini vacation to the LA area for the Rose Bowl. The exterior and lobby are nice looking and the staff is very friendly. However like previous reviews the rooms are very outdated and they were in the process of updating them. I had gold points that I used so I got all 3 nights for free but will not stay there again until they update or if we are in a pinch and need somewhere to stay that is cheaper than downtown. The beds were suppose to be sleep number but they were not and they were very hard to sleep on. The comforters are not as long or wide as they should be to be able to curl up under. The room we happened to have was a handicap room although neither of us were handicap but it may have been the only room type available due to a wedding being in the hotel. We were not that worried about the room since it was only a place for us to sleep since we were in town for the Rose Bowl festivities. Wish the beds were more comfortable and that is a make or break deal right there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Becky870
RadissonWhittier, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for posting your stay with us. We appreciate your understanding of our current renovation project and are happy to hear that you were impressed by our friendly staff. Thank you for your loyalty to the Radisson family. We look forward to serving you again on your future travels to the Radisson Hotel Whittier.

Best regards,
Frank Macias
Director of Sales and Marketing
frank.macias@radisson.com

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The staff was rude, NO interent for 4 days! It never worked once, the room was BAD... water damage, chips on the night stand, Carpet Stains, nasty bath tub. I was very very very unhappy with this hotel.. Carlson should step in and do something. I am a Club Carlson member and never once was I treated like one.

Room Tip: I have a tone of pictures I will not post. This hotel is bad.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TimChicago_IL
Radisson W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for your review, we do value your comments and your loyalty to the Radisson Brand. On behalf of the Radisson Hotel Whittier, I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay. We will address these issues with the proper department managers to ensure the best service to all of our guests.
I am proud to share that we are currently renovating our guest rooms and would like to invite you to return once the renovation has been completed in March of 2013 so that we may exceed your expectations. Feel free to contact me the next time you visit the Whittier area.

Frank Macias
Director of Sales and Marketing
(562) 945-8529

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is the first time that I had stayed at a Radison and was a little surprised. Despite the price, I was expecting a first class hotel. It was more like an older Holiday Inn. The lobby was very impressive but I was disappointed with my room. It was a large room but it needed updated and the furniture was rather outdated. It did appear to be clean. The staff was friendly. It seemed to be a popular hotel for the Japanese tourist. The hotel is in a very nice area and there are several restaurants close by. Ricks across the street from the hotel is a great place for a burger; it is a fast food type restaurant but the food is good. The hotel did not charge for parking. They had a restaurant, but I did not eat there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FENTON64
RadissonWhittier, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

I am very pleased to hear of the positive impression made by our friendly staff. We always strive to provide our valued guests with warm and welcoming experiences. Renovations to all of our sleeping rooms have begun and are expected to be completed in March of 2013. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again once it has been completed so we can impress you not only with our surrounding locations, but with our very own new property - in its entirety.

Best regards,
James Sarkis
james.sarkis@radisson.com

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed here 4 nights while visiting Disneyland and Whittier College. The public spaces are attractive. Nice pool and patio. Our room was clean and reasonably spacious. Bathroom needed updating, but clean and generously supplied with soap, lotion, towels, etc. (Points for providing enough towels for the entire family!) The staff here is friendly and attitudes positive and willing, but we felt like we were customers in a hotel school -- promised delivery of creamer (not replenished by hotel maids for two days) & trash removal never materialized, restaurant service inexplicably glacially slow, a certain ineffable cluelessness prevailed. We would never pay full retail for this place but actually would stay here again, given a good deal, to give it a second chance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vlwolcott
Radisson W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit with us at the Radisson Hotel Whittier. We will definitely follow up with our staff with your comments so we may better serve our guests.

Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Sparsely furnished, outdated rooms.

Poor standards of housekeeeping (day 1: scrub rag stashed on chair; day 2: no replacement towels, washcloths, or toiletries).

Restaurant/bar closes at whim. (Guest, to desk clerk: "Your restaurant is closed?" Clerk: "Yes, sir, it closes at 10:00pm… uh, 9:30pm." Guest: "It's 9:15pm." Clerk: "Well, it was slow, so they went ahead and closed.")

Poor maintenance: broken A/C and clogged sink on day 1, broken toilet on day 2.

The worst full-service property we've stayed at in… well, ever. For ALL hotels/motels: on par with a typical Super 8.

On a scale of $0 to $1,000: I rate this hotel $45. Pay more, and you probably got ripped off.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Two_Wilsons
Radisson W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit with us at the Radisson Hotel Whittier. I would love to have an opportunity to speak with you directly to try & "make it right". Please call (562-945-8524) or email me directly so that we may discuss what occured during your stay. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next visit.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I recently stayed in the Radisson Hotel in Whittier, CA for a short business trip and was fairly disappointed with the property.

Upon arriving the staff was friendly and helpful, although the person at the front desk also had to take care of answering the phone which put her in an unenviable position. She was very nice and helped me change to the type of room that I wanted (King bed instead of two doubles), but the phone was ringing off the hook and check in took longer than it should have through no fault of her own.

Making my way to the room I did not get a good impression. The carpet in the hallway was extremely worn and lumpy and didn't look very good at all. Upon entering the room, the carpat was generally clean in appearance, but there were a few very significant stains. The bathroom was very dated and worn, but appeared fairly clean. The television was small and extremely old (4:3 as opposed to 16:9) and not HD capable and was placed in the room in such a way as to not be convenient to watch from the desk, sitting area, or bed. The desk itself was ok with a clean work area, but the chair was filthy. It was extremely worn, stained, and generally dirty. I put a towel on the chair rather than sitting directly on it.

There are a couple of nice restaurants/bars within walking distance to the hotel. I would recommend checking out The Bottle Room as well as Phlight if you are in the area. There is also a movie theater and a Starbucks a short walk away, so the location of the hotel was pretty good for the area.

I do have to say that I needed a bottle of water the last night of my stay and I didn't have any cash for the vending machine so I went to the front desk to see if I could buy a bottle of water from the hotel. The woman at the front desk who greeted me was extremely pleasant and indicated that they didn't have any water they could sell me, but she told me that she had a personal bottle that she could give me and that she could just get water for herself from the tap. I told her that wasn't necessary, but she insisted and gave me her bottle of water. I have to say that she was AWESOME!!! I should also note, that the person who checked me out in the morning asked about my stay and wanted to make sure that everything was ok. I'd have to say that the staff of the hotel is far better than the property itself.

Apparently the rooms are going to be updated sometime in the near future so I'll definitely give it another try. If they could modernize the rooms, clean them up, and maintain them this could be a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: As the hotel renovates their rooms, I would definitely ask the front desk to put you in a renovated...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank msenske
Radisson W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Radisson Hotel Whittier. We always strive to provide our valued guests with warm and welcoming experiences. Yes we are going to renovate the hotel very soon. The rooms renovation is scheduled to be completed by December 2012-March 2013 (depending on how long the bathroom portion takes to finalize small details). I would be delighted to book your reservation for when you return to the area. Please contact me directly at tiffany.young@Radisson.com or call 562-945-8524.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was an interesting stay at the hotel. Booked for two nights in Aug 2012. Needed to cancel the second night due to change in travel plans but the Hotel would not allow me to because I booked with Hotels.com even though I asked immediately when checking in. Called Hotels.com and they blamed it on the hotel. Either way, I was not staying there another night after the experience. First of all the hotel rooms are really run down. Grungy. Moving on, i went to the restaurant for dinner. Very few customers there. I ordered a martini and they served it in a high ball glass because they were "out of Martini glasses". Ok, life goes on. So when I returned to the room, I attempted to iron my clothes, no ironing board. Called housekeeping, they brought me an iron. Restated what I originally called down for, Eventually brought me an ironing board. So in the grand scheme of things - all things I could deal with. Then I flipped the mattress and something scurried across the dust ruffle. I really hope it was an ant. I was told bed bugs are small and this was a clearly visible. Really did not care to investigate. Creepy crawlies - not something I can deal with. Good luck to those who stay here. Take some lysol and some repellent.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DBtravels2much

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us as anticipated. We are renovating our sleeping rooms and would like the chance to win back your confidence in the hotel. Please note we do have sleep number beds that have cords that enable the bed to be moved. The hotel has a certification that states we are bed bug free as of our last inspection in July. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again once the renovations have been completed so we can exceed your expectations.

tiffany.young@radisson.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittier
Vagabond Inn - Whittier
Lambert Inn
#5 of 11 in Whittier
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles? Share your experiences!