“Delicious!”
Review of Vintage Cafe

Vintage Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Vintage Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 284 Restaurants in Whittier
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I took my mother-in-law to Vintage for her birthday. My MIL is not a gourmet by any standard, but my wife and I enjoy fine dining. We found Vintage online and after reading a few reviews, decided to go there. Vintage is a long narrow restaurant, in uptown Whittier. It is warm and charming, and would be great for a romantic meal - with one exception. There is a TV over the bar, and it's visible from much of the restaurant. It just seems a little out of place.

My MIL ordered the salmon with no appetizer and a glass of water, my wife ordered French onion soup, coq au vin and a glass of red wine, and I, a Caesar salad, wild mushroom ravioli and a pint of IPA.

My wife's soup was dark and rich in flavor. The broth looked to be beef based, rather than chicken, and while it was very good, a splash of sherry would have taken it to another level.

I am pretty fussy about Caesar salads, and often order them to form a first opinion of a restaurant. There are far too many restaurants which add non-traditional ingredients to their Caesar, leave a few out, or serve woefully inedible dressing with it. Fortunately, Vintage's Caesar was excellent, and very traditional. Their dressing was outstanding, and far better than any other I've had this year.

Our entress arrived, and my MIL seemed to enjoy her salmon very much. The portion was the perfect size, and the veggies that it came with were perfectly cooked. My wife's coq au van was served more deconstructed than traditional, yet it quite good and she really enjoyed it. My ravioli were simply fantastic! A good sized portion of ravioli in a lush sauce that was simply outstanding.

As far as beverages, my wife's wine was perfectly good, but my IPA was just so-so. There is no shortage of excellent brewers in southern California, so I think it's reasonable to expect great beer in an upscale restaurant.

We all shared two desserts - creme brulee and an apple tart. Both were excellent, and the apple tart was exceptional.

To say we enjoyed this meal would be an understatement. Most everything, except my beer, was very good to excellent.

While I am not from Orange County, and have not dined at every restaurant in the area, I would certainly recommend Vintage Cafe to anyone looking for an outstanding meal.

1  Thank rodenbach

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Went there last night. When have you seen a French restaurant with a TV and showing a sports program..... totally ruined the overall ambiance. Drinks are overpriced and bad. Bartender uses a jigger and doesn't know how to fix dry martinis. Food was fair.... had been there a few months back and had the sliders... ordered the sliders again and to my surprise, the number of sliders on the plate had been reduced to 2 from 3 and the meat used was ground meat instead of slided filet mignon as before, on top of that more expensive.
DEFINITELY DONOT RECOMMEND!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

A mix of French and Italian menu, very tasy, though the food lacks inspiration. Pleasant atmosphere, nice decore, good service.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Had spent hours on Greenleaf avenue on a Friday afternoon and when we thought we were done, we headed to the parking structure only to come upon this little French gem! Ventured inside to be greeted by a lovely hostess and a shiny bar with stools and a wall lined with tables in front. We sat in the corner in the front of the restaurant by the window. It was very quaint with French inspired decor. Has a blood orange cosmopoltan and a beer. They had a happy hour. Just tried a dessert, dried fruit and almond bread pudding. Moist and flavorful. Service was pleasant and attentive. The place has a fun, cozy feel. Giving it a 4 for the service and the atmosphere.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Soooo glad I found this place...what a great find in Uptown. One of the best filets that I've ever had and Ive been to Ruth's Chris, BOA and other well known steak houses. It's definitely not a steakhouse, but a great little French style restaurant. From appetizers to dessert, it was all delicious. Service was awesome and our server was very polite and attentive.

3  Thank fxgjr