“Lovely, quiet, peaceful”
Review of Westport Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westport
Westport Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Westport B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Westport Hotel -- the food was amazing and not very expensive (ribs with carrot slaw and mashed potatoes were $13, salads, soups, lasagna, rhubarb crisp - all very yum) - from the dinners to the breakfasts. The staff were nice and accommodating. They gave us pointers on hiking trails and provided a peaceful setting. They have a nice fireplace, sauna, massage chair, comfortable sheets, nice scones and then quiche and fruit for breakfast. Our cell phones didn't work in the room, but that was actually nice. The sunset views were incredible. If you go to Ft. Bragg for a day trip, the peppermint stick ice cream at Cowlicks is also very yum.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice, quiet, and very clean.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 10, 2012

My husband and I wanted to get away for two nights. He loves Mendocino, so I was game to go. Hubby was in charge of getting the room. We thought he had reserved two nights at the Westport Hotel. I had read a brief blurb about it in a recent Sunset magazine and it sounded like an interesting alternative to Mendocino, and just a little further up the coast. When we arrived at the hotel, it turned out that hubby had made an error, our reservation was not at the Westport Hotel.

Not to worry- we had the most incredibly gracious assistance from Talerra (sp?), who we had interrupted from preparing the rooms for that day. Talerra spent at least 20 minutes phoning all over the area, trying to figure out where our reservation was held. She never once pushed that we stay at the Westport, but did inform us that they had a room for that night, but not for the next. Talerra handled everything so smoothly that she was one of the main reasons that we wanted to stay at the Westport Hotel. So we booked one night and were so glad that we did.

Our room wasn't ready yet, so hubby and I took a walk up the highway and looked at the ocean. The boulders on the beach below us were quite interesting formations. (The next morning we took a run where we had walked- quite invigorating.) When we were settled in our room it was a little early to eat, so we sat in the parlor room in front of the gas fireplace and read. It was completely relaxing to sit and do nothing but enjoy our surroundings with no phone or t.v. to interrupt.

We stayed in room #4, which had a queen bed, bathtub and deck with ocean views. The room was pristine in cleanliness. In fact, I don't believe I've ever stayed anywhere that was as clean as this room. The walls were painted a soft sage green, the comforter was white and fluffy, the room decor included a minimum of furniture, but what was there was lovely: an antique armoire, side table and two chairs with a shared footrest. The darker green carpeting looked new, and I think I could have eaten off of the bathroom floor tiles- everything was new, fresh and sparkling clean.

For dinner, we ate pub grub at the adjoining restaurant. Our starters were delicious crab cakes (really, they were crab balls) and a spring roll, both tasty and not at all greasy. We were served by three, excellent waitstaff who saw to our needs but were unobtrusive. Instead of the main entrees, we decided to go for fish and chips. The fish was the most tender I've ever had in a fish and chips combo. Dessert was a concoction of ice cream over a macaroon, drizzled with chocolate sauce...yum!

Two pieces of chocolate from the Mendocino chocolate company were at our bedside, one milk and one dark. The following morning we had homemade scones, tea, coffee and fruit left outside our room, pre-breakfast. When we came down for breakfast, we were served juice, a homemade biscuit, fruit and an omelet. I'm amazed we still had room to eat, after the scones.

This is a place that is tended with loving care by everyone who owns/works here. It really shows that the people of the Westport Hotel want you to have a completely relaxing experience, very different from the everyday hustle and bustle. If you want to "check out" of a busy urban life...the Westport Hotel is the place to go and do nothing for a little while. I don't think you'll be disappointed- we weren't!

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk- they are fantastic!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kimberly1125
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The Westpoint Hotel was a perfect place to greet the New Year! It is situated about 20 minutes north of Ft. Bragg/Mendocino, so is close to lots of great wines, art galleries, and shopping. Yet it is far enough away to feel the peace of the coast. The restaurant was amazing!!! We loved their dinner and Sunday brunch. We will definitely return!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Judyalean
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I booked a Saturday night here for my husband's birthday after reading the reviews. We had a room with a shared deck that overlooked the ocean. The room itself was very nice with soft colors and was extremely clean. There is, however, a large electical line right in front of the deck which distracted from the view quite a bit in my opinion. But, my real disappointment was finding out Sunday morning that a hot breakfast is not included for Saturday night guests. I thought we were going to have a real bed and breakfast experience and after reading all the reviews about breakfast, I was really looking forward to that part of it. Come to find out, Sunday morning guests only get scones (which were dry and not that good). Bummer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CN_Nation
Reviewed August 7, 2011

When you first see this place, Westport that is, you're wondering why you're not driving on. But turn into the Westport Hotel and go upstairs to your room. It is lovely, clean as a whistle, no phone, no t.v., no radio. Fairly quiet even though it's on Hwy. 1. Bed was good and bathroom was good. Do not, however, stay in the room that is over the kitchen and next to the sauna. Noisy until late.

Lovely breakfast snack of scones and coffee and THEN we had a lovely egg casserole breakfast. For a B&B there was no conversation with others as you are each seated separately as if in a restaurant which is kind of weird but, hey, whatever.

Ate dinner at their Abalone Pub the night before and it was delightful.

Nothing really to do in this small burg but this was a good overnight stop.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jh3
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I were on a road trip with my parents from Santa Barbara to Portland. We has spent the day in Napa/Sonoma wine-tasting but needed to put some miles behind us to stay on track. We were hoping to stay in Fort Bragg but after arriving in this town, we didn't find anything terribly charming and decided to push on even though there weren't many promising leads in the miles ahead of us and it was getting dark. Less than a half hour down the (very lonely, yet beautiful) road we found the small town of Westport and the charming and clean Westport Hotel. We were warmly welcomed to the B&B, which is in a well-renovated turn-of-the-century faux facade building facing the ocean and just steps from the black sand beach. We were treated like family and enjoyed our clean rooms that were decorated with antiques. On weeknights, there is nowhere to eat in town, except a small gas station, but our hosts treated us to a small dinner (on the house) and a delicious breakfast was included in the morning. We felt very lucky to discover this gem amidst the wilderness of the Northern California coast!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank EGAK9
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I would defintely recommend this hotel to anyone driving through northern California and southern Oregon on the coast road. It is so well presented and everything is just beautiful and of a much higher standard than lots of other places to stay in the area.

The hosts are lovely and the rooms and breakfasts great. I am now won over with the idea of tea, coffee and scones with fruit delivered to the room early and then going downstairs for a more leisurely breakfast once I am ready for the day! Such a luxury!

I would recommend you stay one night when the pub is open and then you can get dinner on site. Unfortunately we arrived on a night it was shut and had to make do with a picnic on the seafront of pizza slices, crisps, dip and tins of beer from the store, which actually was pretty cool.

The roads on this part of the coast are pretty windy but the scenery is stunning. If you are passing this way, stop here. We had driven south from a day in the Redwoods and it was defintely a great hotel to stop over at.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JensHoliday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
MacCallum House Inn
#5 of 23 in Fort Bragg
Shoreline Cottages
Shoreline Cottages
#1 of 23 in Fort Bragg

Been to Westport Hotel? Share your experiences!