“Room Needs Updating”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Westminster
Santa Barbara
“Room Needs Updating”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

As other reviews have noted, this motel shares a parking area with a "bikini bar", so arriving at night, I was already wondering about the sobriety of people I might encounter in the parking lot. The clerk at check-in was all business, no smiles, but accommodating; when I asked for a quiet room, he gave me a room on the third floor toward the back of the building. The room turned out to be fairly quiet, but you can still hear the whir of vehicles on the 405. I was very disappointed when I walked into the room, the carpet was dingy and stained, and the room had a stale odor. I would have requested a different room, but I was tired and it was already getting late, so I decided to deal with it for just the one night I was staying. Luckily, the room had a window which opened and I was able to dissipate the stale odor after a while. On the plus side: the toilet and shower area was clean, the shower had good pressure and hot water, the in-room sink/vanity area was clean and newer, the microwave and frige appeared newer, and the wi-fi was fast enough. Unfortunately, while looking for an outlet to plug in my laptop, I noticed that the carpet behind the bed and nightstands probably hadn't been vacuumed since the year one. The nightstands themselves were old, with some cigarette burns (in a non-smoking room), but they complemented the old dining table chairs with their worn and peeling paint on the armrests. I know this is a budget motel, but I was expecting more in the way of cleanliness. As happened with me, If the other better rated motels are full, and you just need a bed and a shower, and can ignore the carpet and furniture, it will do in a pinch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

1 Thank Glenn L
super8westminster, Webmaster at Hotel 39 Westminster, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We can’t do anything about our neighbors, but we are working every day to make this property nicer. We’ve made quite a lot of improvements in furnishings since your stay and have also retrained our housekeeping staff on how to keep our rooms up to our standards. I sincerely apologize if we fell short of your standards in any way. I hope you’ll visit again and see how we’re changing.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Vietnamese first
Cedar City, Utah
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location is great for the price. It's really close to the Huntington Beaches. It's also just down the road from Knott's Berry Farm. We were able to get on the freeway and head up to LA for the day to the Citadel mall to do some shopping before going over to a Dodgers game. We were also able to go down to Newport Beach and Balboa. So I would say this was a great central location for our family for the things we wanted to do. We would stay there again. The hotel is fine. Nothing great but no complaints. The pool is teeny tiny.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was surprised by some bad reviews for this. I stayed here with a friend whilst travelling California and it done the job nicely, value was good, staff was very friendly and room was pretty good. Location is probably not the best, but this didn't bother us as we were driving and not staying for long. But overall pretty happy with our stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westminster
Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
#11 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Best Western Palm Garden Inn
Best Western Palm Garden Inn
#2 of 10 in Westminster
Extended Stay America - Orange County - Huntington Beach
Extended Stay America - Orange C...
#13 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Days Inn & Suites Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach
Hotel Huntington Beach
Hotel Huntington Beach
#17 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Quality Inn & Suites Huntington Beach
Quality Inn & Suites Huntington ...
#15 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Hotel 39 Westminster? Share your experiences!