“Amazing Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights at the end of our three week Californian Road Trip. The hotel was amazing, the staff looked after us both so well, it was our 10th wedding anniversary and we were sent flowers and fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate an hour after our arrival. Marta the duty manager at the hotel also reserved a poolside cabana for us for the day which was very kind especially as the Ryder Cup was being aired so this made my husband very happy. The food at this hotel is incredible, they have a farmers market breakfast where you can have omelettes, bagels, juices and fresh fruit. We had a Junior Suite which was very spacious with views over the waterfalls. The spa is out of this world and I did not want to leave. I could not fault this hotel and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views over the waterfall and if you can stretch to it stay in a Junior Suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Asrhodes, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Joanne, thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of your stay with us. My apologies for not responding to you sooner. I was so delighted to hear that we were able to make your 10th wedding anniversary especially memorable (we can't take credit for the Ryder Cup, but we will say that perhaps it's our good karma ;))! We sincerely appreciate thoughtful attention to detail that you've shared in your review, and hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you and your husband back to Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village in the near future. Again, thank you so much for your time and lovely write-up.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Four Seasons never fails. Spa, pool area wonderful at this one & the food is health oriented and perfect. Its in the midst of nowhere, but convenient if doing business in Thousand Oaks or if needing a place to stay driving north/south on 101.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the waterfall best. Using AMEX Platinum usually affords an upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of our property, and my sincerest apologies for not responding to you sooner. We were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed staying with us this past fall, and are delighted to hear that our wellness offerings through California Health & Longevity Institute further enhanced your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back here again, the next time your travels bring you to Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks. Thanks again!
Rancho cucamonga, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

So as this is a Four season, it is of course beautiful and higher end. Overall I thought the rooms were nice and well sized. The front desk service was friendly and relatively quick. The spa facilities were beautiful and the lounge areas in the spa areas were tranquil. An added nice touch is that they send someone around with free Popsicles and frozen treats.

Downsides- the pool is so so. The service at the pool lacks and I suppose that this is because they have already built in an 18% service charge so they don't care how quickly/ politely they serve you. Also I went to park and asked the parking attendant the price- $17 a day which is a little steep when you are already paying for an expensive hotel room. Ok, how much to valet I ask? "I have no idea". Wow really, you work in parking and don't know the price?

Overall a beautiful place and comfortable but there are a couple things I would change.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Tiffkat2000
Thank you so much for posting your review, and I apologize for the lateness in my response. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us this past fall, but I was concerned to hear of your experience at our pool and with guest services and valet parking. It's clear we dropped the ball here, and I want to personally apologize on behalf of our team here at Westlake Village. We appreciate the feedback, as it will help us improve communication internally within each department to ensure a seamless experience. The next time your travels take you this way, we hope that you'll give our property another chance. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share with us.
Surf City USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Odd property for a Four Seasons. No view. No waterfront. No country club. It sits hard by the 101 freeway, far out in San Fernando Valley. Its signature feature is an elaborate man-made waterfall out the back door. But it is just there to hide the freeway behind it, and provide some white noise. The property itself is quite plush, with interesting antiques in the public areas. Beautiful floral arrangements. Tasteful decorations. The chef is five stars, and the quality of the food is aces. The beds are comfy, the linens are high-quality. The area that some cost-cutting is evident is in amenities: Single-ply toilet paper? Smaller bottles of shampoo? No q-tips? Tiny bars of soap? Coffeemate for the in-room coffee maker, not real half & half. How much did they save? $5 a night? Raise your prices $5 a night and bring back quality amenities. Did you think your clientele is not discriminating enough to notice? That's disrespecting your guests.

Room Tip: Don't face the freeway
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jg3arrow
Asrhodes, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found our property and rooms to be beautiful and spacious, and that you received the highest level of service from our Front Desk staff. I am deeply sorry to hear that these service standards fell short at our pool and valet. I have shared your comments with the appropriate department heads for follow up so that we can make sure these issues are resolved immediately. Again, on behalf of our entire team here at Westlake Village, I want to apologize for this experience. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve upon the service that we deliver to our guests.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

With several days of business meetings in Calabasas, I decided to give this hotel a try. I was ready for the standard Four Seasons effect. Alas, it was not quite to be, though let me add up front I would stay here again.

The good: The grounds here are beautiful, as is the mountain view (bonus: you don't quite see the highway) from the rooms on the south side. I enjoyed going to bed with the night lights on the grounds and waking up with dawn breaking on the mountains. Serene is the word I'd use. The room itself was standard high quality I expect of the Seasons (but a problem obtaining, more below). The bed and pillows were great. The gym here is killer - huge and well appointed. Funny enough, there were a ton of East Coasters in it with me at 4:30 in the morning, and yet we could all be spaced out even using the same machines. The Pool is supposed to be a lap pool according to some, and heated, but it looked way to short to me to be worth while. So even though I brought my suit and goggles, I stayed dry this trip. The breakfast was hearty, and the location quite good for quiet b'fast meetings or for simply enjoying the view. The garage was a bit of a hike away during inclement weather, but on the other hand you don't have to wait for valet to pick up your car if you are in and out a fair bit as I was. Service at the front door was standard attentive fare for the Seasons, which means welcoming and attentive.

The not so good: Service at the front desk was less standard fare. The first room I was given was the one on the lowest floor right by the elevator - often considered the worse room in the house. So I turned right around and went down and requested another room. I got a lot of static back: there was not other room (Really? At that time of day without a full hotel? I know better.) The static is something I expect from a lesser hotel as some form of face-saving gesture by poorly trained desk staff who should be deeply embarrassed at pulling that stunt. From Seasons staff, I was unpleasantly surprised. But I've learnt not to engage and to stay silent (maybe say again "I appreciate your assistance on this.") Sure enough another room magically turned up. As if it wasn't in the system when I first checked in. This is poor training by management (see my profile for why I know), I don't care what the room yield / REVPAR consultants say. The other drawback from my perspective is the hotel's rather odd location. It's well outside Calabasas, so you have to drive 10-15 mins (w no traffic jam) back and forth. And it's not really walkable to Westlake village or the better restaurants there. Californians with their car culture may scoff at this, fair enough. But urban dwellers should bear in mind that it's still a hotel by the side of the highway.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BlueWindez
Asrhodes, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to extend to you our most sincere apologies for these shortcomings in the service you received during your stay. It is because of comments such as yours where we are able to discover where we may fall short of our standards so as to correct them and provide the service you should expect of Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village.

I'd like to invite you to please contact our Assistant Director of Rooms at your convenience, as we would greatly appreciate an opportunity to speak with you further. As we are unable to contact you via this forum, please call or email Billy Cueto at (818) 575-3031 or email billy.cueto@fourseasons.com. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We are in LA twice a year and usually stay at a friend's guest house in Malibu. Due to last minute plans, we decided to stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village booking through AMEX Platinum.
The hotel was welcoming and beautiful. Staff was very helpful. Our room was beautiful and perfect for a weekend getaway.
Location was perfect for us to go to both Malibu and Beverly Hills.
The property has a fabulous spa, athletic room with trainers, and two beautiful pools.
We ate at the two restaurants and thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Our favorite was "The Mercato" buffet. Food was outstanding.

We will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TravlFam
Thank you so much for posting your review following your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you found our property both welcoming and beautiful, and I'm especially delighted that you and your family had an opportunity to enjoy our Mercato Italiano signature dining experience (it's certainly one of my favorites as well!). Additionally, I'm glad that our location was convenient for you and your family to visit Beverly Hills and Malibu, and hope that you will choose to visit us again in the near future, should your travel plans take you back to Westlake Village. Thanks again for sharing your experience!
Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was very excited to be staying my first Four Seasons hotel with my boyfriend. Upon check in everything was running smoothly. Valet and Guest Reception were all very nice, recommended things to do and even gave us a late check out. When we got to the room we started seeing some downfalls. In the bathroom the right hand side of the sink that dispenses cold water did not even work having us to deal with really hot water. We did not bother to say anything because we were only staying the night. 30 minutes after checking in the entire resort blacks out..I understand this happens so instead of enjoying the resort we left the property. When we came back we grabbed a drink from the honor bar only to find chewing tobacco left from a previous guest. Then at 10PM I hung the sign outside the door to request a newspaper for the next morning. Of course the next morning the sign was gone but there were no newspaper when we woke at 9AM. I work at a hotel myself and I understand these things happen but what made me really concerned was upon check out when I told the front desk about the chewing tobacco all she had to say was "oh, perfect"...Not even a quick sorry or concern.
This is definitely not 4 star service or something I expect from a Four Seasons.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jessica Y
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review and some valuable feedback regarding your visit to our property. I appreciate you bringing some of your concerns to our attention, and on behalf of our entire team, I want to sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I am especially sorry to hear about your experience in The Bar, and would like the chance to make it up to you and your boyfriend. As we are unable to contact you via this forum, I invite you to please contact our Bar Manager, Massimo, at your earliest convenience (818-575-3062 or email massimo.cibelli@fourseasons.com) so that we may have the opportunity to speak with you personally. Thank you again for sharing, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake Village
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 6 in Malibu

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village? Share your experiences!